Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just purchased a Karubecue C-60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just purchased a Karubecue C-60

After months of back and forth, I finally pulled the trigger on a KBQ last week. Should be a great addition to the Weber gear I already have Hoping it arrives early June!

Been thinking about things that I will need to get it up and running. Any recommendations Ernest or anyone else that has a KBQ.

-are 6 inch logs a good size? Was thinking of starting with Apple, Hickory, Pecan, and Cherry
    -has anyone used chefalarm or other thermoworks leave in probes? seems like a lot of people are using the maverick leave in thermometers with the KBQ but i already have the Thermoworks DOT and Chefalarm
    -is the alligator lopper really necessary
    -any recommendations for a good drip pan
    -what else am i missing?

Thanks guys! Not sure who else is on the KBQ team.

Cheers,

Paul

Congrats Paul! Can't wait to see your cooks.

Comment

Thank you sir! I am chomping at the bit for it to get to my doorstep. Just trying to do some nesting before she gets here

Comment

Congratulations smokinfatties . All you need is the 6 inch logs, perfect size, get some ribs and adult beverages.
        If you do have a wood supplier with 6 inch logs then you don't need the alligator thingy.
        I've tried pecan and I quit using it. It doesn't coal well, oak and hickory work really well, burn longer with a great bed of coals. Mesquite comes out outstanding flavor but it burns fast
        I use my Mavericks thermometer, get the probe through the top front corner.
        The dial is for temp range, don't expect it to lock on a specific temperature like a pellet smoker.

You can use disposable foil pans for drip catcher inside or a sheet pan outside under the door.

You're about to enter a pleasure zone!!
        Last edited by Ernest; May 9, 2016, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I use Thermoworks stuff - I have two Thermopens, a Chefalarm, a Dot, and a number pf probes. They are all top notch and if you do have a problem, the company stands behind their products. I called them last Thursday to tell them my air probe was reading "HHH" on both the CA and the Dot. The replacement arrived today - no charge, (and I still got the free jellybeans ) ~ Ron

Comment

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Ron! Those Jelly Beans are the best! It's the small things in life...

Welcome to Karebecue! What do you have planned for your first cook? I just cooked Chicken breasts yesterday, great flavor!

I also use a Maverick thermometer. I have several Thermapen's. Do they offer a wireless Maverick equivalent?

I have been using mostly Apple wood mixing in some Post Oak and Mequite. I am trying to find a source for a large order of Mesquite, tough to find in Southern Illinois.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you tried Fruita Wood Chunks? http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/mesquitewood.html Certainly not cheap, but you can get a 50lb box of 6" mini splits for $91. Enough for a few cooks or several if using as an add-on wood. You can order 500lb freight orders on their wood too, but I'm sure you'll pay dearly.

• dirtman
            dirtman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, the post oak and Mequite I have are from there but I cook a lot and that will get pricey. I am researching closest I can natively find Mequite. I might send a truck and trailer for truck and trailer load.

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            I think my 1st cook is going to be some beef short ribs!

Congrats on the purchase. You (and your friends & family) are going to love it!

Comment

Wow! I am fantasizing between a KBQ and The Good One. Not that buying but those would be my dream! Congratulations!

Comment

Congrats smokinfatties

Comment

The Dot/Chef Alarm probe will fit in the opening located on the control unit. That is the one you use to monitor pit temperatures. It won't work on the top corner of the pit unless you really enlarge the hole. Compared to the Maverick probe the Dot/Chef Alarm probe has a large molded bulb on it. You would have to enlarge the existing hole to at least 1/4". I use the Maverick for meat temperature monitoring. Even for the Maverick I had to slightly enlarge the opening with an awl so I could get the probe in the pit. It was no big deal. Like Ernest said, whatever wood you choose, make sure you get one that coals good. It will make your life much easier. You'll spend a lot less time fire tending! I don't know what you have available in SoCal, but here in NorCal I use Valley Oak and Almond. They both coal very good. On the KBQ website Bill has a chart of the different woods and their usefulness. Stick with one of the recommended ones and you'll be a happy Q'er. Congratulations! You made a wise decision.
                P.S. I forgot you were asking about a drip pan. I use the full size disposable aluminum restaurant pans (18"X20"?) I bought at Sam's Club. They were $ 9.00 for 15 of them.

Comment

smokinfatties, Congratulations on Your New KBQ Smoker! I am so envious of You I could just Turn Green! 🐢🐸🐍🐸🐢.
                  👍😇👍 Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to the club! It's really a fantastic unit. Lots of good input above. I'm using oak, sugar maple, cherry, apple, and hickory. Oak and sugar maple have been the best at coaling, and I use the others to add flavor and to burn hot and fast to get the oak/maple burning well. I went with a stainless steel food service tray and I slide it in at the bottom.

Getting ready to do my first brisket... Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Comment

• smokinfatties
                      smokinfatties commented
                      Editing a comment
                      awesome! Let us know how that brisket turns out. on the maiden cook i was going to do a SRF Wagyu brisket, but I'm having trouble coming to terms with tending a fire for that long.

• badf00d
                      badf00d commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's a long run to do the whole thing in the smoker, and our weather has been too unpredictable with wind and rain. Although I will try to do a brisket all the way through on the KBQ some time, I'm going to split it for this first try. 4 hrs in the KBQ, and then 4 hours sous vide.

I forgot to mention an item that Bill Karau of KBQ recommends for cleaning your cooking grids; The Scotch Brite® Stainless Steel Scrubbing Pads. They work great. Most supermarkets sell them. Amazon also sells them here: http://www.amazon.com/Scourer-Pads-S...+steel+cleaner

Comment

Congrats smokinfatties. I ordered mine may 11. Hopefully it will ship this week
                      I can't wait to get it

Comment

I love watching what Ernest and others do on their KBQ's. I believe it's one of the very best cookers on the market these days. I've almost pulled the trigger on it before. Then the thought of me staying up all night to feed the beast wood comes into my mind. Then I take a nap and forget about it.😆

Comment

• fzxdoc
                          fzxdoc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ditto that, Breadhead .

Nonetheless, congrats smokinfatties , on your new purchase. It sure is a sweet-looking smoker.

Kathryn
                          Last edited by fzxdoc; May 30, 2016, 06:03 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here