Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

17# spatchcock turkey hot & fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17# spatchcock turkey hot & fast

This seems like more of a KBQ topic than any other. Mods move if desired.

Early on 12/26 I went prowling to see what food sales were happening in the neighborhood and found fresh Jennie-O turkeys for a final price of $0.49/lb at Albertson's. So naturally, I bought two, one was 17.9# and the other 18.8#. I wanted to wet brine them, but they were too big for my brining container, so right on the smoker they went.

Note to KBQ users: these birds were too wide for the KBQ, with the legs/thighs and wings propped up against the rails on each side. Consequently, they cooked much faster than the breast due to the conduction of heat from the metal directly into the flesh. They were over 190F when I pulled them off; the breast was just at 150F. I covered them tightly with foil to ensure the breast rose to food-safe temperature. IDK if the intact carcass (not spatchcocked) would have fit any better. The legs and thighs are over, but not that dry. The beauty of dark meat.

I left both poppets open for 1.5 hours and the apple wood smoke flavor is pretty heavy and the color pretty dark. Maybe too much there.

With outside temps right at 32F, the KBQ could run at 320-330F for the entire cook. Cook time for the top bird was 2 hours, 10 minutes and the bottom one went 15-20 minutes longer. The skin was so crisp as to be almost inedible, but I usually don't eat the skin anyway. I like the 250F cook better than the hot&fast, so will revert to that in the future. Juicier, more even doneness.

Seasoning was thrown together (no recipe) and included kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, cracked red pepper, rosemary, thyme, parsley, ginger and dry mustard and was added liberally to both front and back. It and the smoke penetrated pretty well.

I like spatchcocking birds because the legs, thighs and wings will naturally cook to a higher temperature than the breast, which is protected by the surrounding limbs. Sometimes I tie the wing tips together over the breast, so it looks like it has its arms crossed, thereby protecting the breast more. This is ideal for juiciness and food safety where the dark meat is cooked to a higher temp than the white.

Attached Files

Looks good!

Comment

When the bird is too big for my cooker I remove the legs from the breast. Plenty of room, and I can pull each part when they’re done.

Comment

I have a KBQ and been wanting to smoke some poultry. So very interested! Some questions:
        1. Did you spritze, baste?
        2. How was the flavor? very smokey, too salty, etc.
        3. How was the tenderness? breasts tender, legs dry, etc.
        4. Would you do it again and would you change anything?
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TripleB View Post
          I have a KBQ and been wanting to smoke some poultry. So very interested! Some questions:
          1. Did you spritze, baste?
          2. How was the flavor? very smokey, too salty, etc.
          3. How was the tenderness? breasts tender, legs dry, etc.
          4. Would you do it again and would you change anything?
          Thanks
          I did not spritz or baste. There was a water pan in the cabinet. I wonder if spritzing or basting the skin would reduce its crispiness.

Flavor was good to me. Even my neighbors, who do not like "overdone" smoke and to whom I gave two breasts approve of the flavor.

The legs and thighs have a little more bite than usual, because they were overdone. Not quite dry. The breast is tender and juicy.

I like to wet brine* poultry with just salt and brown sugar. For that reason, and because of the uneven cooking, next time I buy a big bird, I'll piece out the carcass before cooking. That way it will fit in my brining bucket and I could cook each piece to its own internal temp. Breasts are done at a lower temp than dark meat.

* 3/4C kosher salt per one gallon of water, plus equal sugar. This is under salted by most recipes, but I'll leave it for up to 2 days. Folks do not like that the wet brined skin may end up rubbery instead of crisp, but I do not eat the skin.

I think you should go for it! It's pretty hard to mess up with the KBQ, as long as you start checking internal temp at the appropriate time. For a large turkey, that would be about 1.5 hours in and for a chicken, about an hour. Even if it's completely over-seasoned, you can make soup, watering down the seasoning. Maybe start with a chicken which would be smaller and quicker than a turkey, but either way, you should be fine. The biggest issue with the KBQ is checking the firebox every 20 minutes if cooking at high temps, no more than 30 at low & slow temps. If you let the coal bed get low, and the cooker temp drops when you need to restart the fire, all bets are off.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here