Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard Maple for KBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Maple for KBQ

I'm working on acquiring a wood supply ahead of placing an order. I found some Hard Maple that was split a couple of years ago. I also see it's on Bill's list of top woods. What type of smoke profile do you get from it or from mixing it with Oak?

Also Thanks to all of you for your previous posts. It's been very helpful in making a decision on this smoker

Hard maple will be great. It coals up really well and provides great heat. Maple will have a little bit off a lighter flavor profile than oak. Either way you are gonna be good to go. The KBQ burns anything really clean.

I usually burn oak and cherry in my KBQ. I find that blend is great. Hard Maple and Oak will do well too.

Comment

I burned a rick of maple in my offset. No complaints and the flavor was right there with cherry and hickory. For the batch I had, though, I couldn't cook chicken with clean smoke to save my life. For whatever reason, that batch of maple burned dirty enough that my chicken always came out looking blackened by smoke. It wasn't enough of a thing to notice on pork or beef, but it was on chicken. As soon as I switched back to hickory I can cook chicken cleanly with no issues. I only say this so that if you start noticing a smoky appearance on chicken, don't beat yourself up over it. Good luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here