Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain proofing controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain proofing controller?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these. How are you keeping the controller from getting wet during a cook when a rain shower passes by?
    Just by placing a small tote over it? Or have some of you thought of something more ingenious?

Thanks

I have a gazebo and a covered porch that I’d put it under in the event of rain. But if I didn’t have these, I’d probably set up one of my hard plastic, collapsible tables and set the KBQ up under it. If clearance was an issue, I’d put the table up on blocks.

Comment

I don’t know what your controller is like, but I have a transparent container to hold the unit with holes drilled in the container to accommodate the cables.

Comment

I usually put a cast iron griddle with foil pan under it, over the controller. You will want to avoid plastic, casue the controller does get hot. Not super hot, but I never messed with plastic just for safety reasons.

You dont want to use a tote because will block the exhaust air from shooting out of the controller. A foil pan/griddle has always worked well. You can use any rectangular griddle or heavy object you want, does not have to be cast iron. You just wanna make sure it does not blow away.

Honestly, I have had it rain hard on the controller with no issues, but I would not do that intentionally.

Comment

I put my Thermoworks Smoke in a zip lock bag just in case…..

Comment

I just stash my Fireboard under the smoker table. One of these days I will put together the box I have in mind, its going to be pretty sweet. Power ventilation and everything.

Comment

Plastic bag and my patio umbrella.

Comment

Sammich bag. Don't forget a drip loop.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221014_141450.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.65 MB ID:	1343025 plastic bag...

My control head is water-resistant not waterproof. I try not to take chances...

Comment

I believe the OP is talking about the control box of the kbq as this is in a kbq thread.

Comment

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Here's my sign...

• lostclusters
                      lostclusters commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ☺️

He is referring to the control box. Not a thermometer.

Here is what I use more often than not. Foil pan works fantastic. This is a 15.75” by 11.25” by 2.63” pan. This covers the controller perfectly. Blocks the water all these around and allows it to drip off the sides, clear away from the box. It also allows for the exhaust to flow freely as well. Then place the griddle or an old iron on top of the foil pan to keep it there. 😎👌
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	5C1ADDF1-2CE1-4326-91B4-9929A1AA4ABC.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	1343105 Click image for larger version

Name:	9E96C2C2-34EF-44B0-B484-BA331EB8A93A.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	1343104

Comment

Thanks, John

In that case, I'm all set. I have several of those already!

Comment

Here are some links if needed:

Fire up your grilling experience! Whether you're looking to reconnect with nature through open-air cooking or are on your way to becoming an everyday master of the grill, Kingsford has the right tools
                        Attached Files

Comment

Greetings from a new KBQ C-60 owner in Phuket, Thailand.

I’ve been a reasonably longtime but mostly silent member of AmazingRibs before and after resolving a few issues keeping subscriptions up to date I’m back. This time I’m armed with a shiny new KBQ smoker (the first in Thailand) and look forward to harvesting the many experiences of the poster here and will try to offer a few of my own.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Donw
                            Donw commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Outstanding! And welcome to the posting side of the Pit.

I’m lost. I don’t do much social media and just hope I can figure this out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here