Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hotspots in the KBQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotspots in the KBQ?

I understand from reading through the sticky, that the hottest past of the KBQ is generally the bottom of the unit due to the way the hot smoke circulates through the unit. First time I cooked st louis style ribs on it I used top grate, a few down from the very top of the unit, at about 225 - 235f and it took 3.5 hours and came out perfect.

However, I cooked a rack of ribs yesterday and they took a lot longer, and just over four hours I pulled them, as it was cracking on bend test (but only on one end). They were on the same top grate, and strangely the thicker part of the ribs (which I intentionally placed at the rear) was juicy and tender and cooked to perfection - tender but with some bite and then clean off bone with some pull- and the thinner half at the front of the unit, was undercooked and tough and hard to pull off the bone!

I did spritz maybe three times during the cook which I didn't do the first time, which may have prolonged the cook a bit. But that wouldn't account for the thicker half being more done than the thinner half.

Is it normal for the front of the unit to be significantly cooler than the back? Should I be turning the ribs half way and run the cook a bit longer?

I can experiment with the fireboard to find out but just wondered what wisdom was out there.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Cheers

I rotate the ribs every hour, spritz every 1/2 hour after the bark has set. Do you weigh your ribs and keep a journal? When I cook ribs: 1) I try to buy the ribs around the same weight and thickness; and 2) I look back at the previous cooks and check the weight to give me an idea on time swings. I set the ATC around 250 and the temp swings between 235-270d. And the ribs do cook in about 3-3.5 hours.

Comment

Yes, the back is a bit hotter than the front. I put the thickest part of the meat towards the back but I also rotate: spin the meat around and if using multiple shelves I rotate the shelves up and down as well.

Comment

I do think there is more heat in the back. I try to put the thickest part of the meat towards the back, especially when I am cooking brisket.

I try to spritz those corners and then pull the racks out and rotate when I can.

Comment

Right, that makes sense why the back was done and not the front then. I’ll try rotating, and switching racks around when doing multiple grates.

I might do some experiments to see the temp diff as it was pretty dramatic difference in doneness.

Comment

Originally posted by CALNZ View Post
            Right, that makes sense why the back was done and not the front then. I’ll try rotating, and switching racks around when doing multiple grates.

I might do some experiments to see the temp diff as it was pretty dramatic difference in doneness.
            I think it is more a case of the air the is going out of the louver and moving quickly. When The meat is right by the louver, it evaporates the surface moisture so fast, that is tends to cook that meat really quickly. I am not sure the temp changes too much, but it may.

Comment

I am amazed that you all are getting St. Louis ribs done in 3 - 3.5 hours at 225 on that thing. There must be magic in that cooker.

Comment

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                The KBQ is faster due to the convection effect of the two fans. I smoked a 22 lb turkey for Thanksgiving and it took just over 3 1/2 hours.
                Last edited by 58limited; June 26, 2022, 07:10 AM.

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
              I am amazed that you all are getting St. Louis ribs done in 3 - 3.5 hours at 225 on that thing. There must be magic in that cooker.
              So how long do yours take & what temp do you use?
              JD

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a wood burning cabinet smoker made by a small vendor. It is a nice cooker. At 215 - 225 it takes me close to six hours. When I first learned about the 3-2-1 method it synched with my time table. The KBQ is just awesome - the food photos, the decreased cook time. I sometimes envy you all who have one. I love you build-in plans, too.

Smoked this small 5 pound pork butt yesterday and it took 7.5 hours with no wrap.

Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here