Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Eagle Has Landed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Eagle Has Landed

I am in love with my KBQ. And I haven’t even really put it’s through it’s paces yet.

It’s a little harder where I am to get well marbled beef (grass fed beef in NZ is great but tends to be lean). But a contact who imports Australian wagyu beef to NZ delivered these for me: Carrara Wagyu MBS 9 brisket (monster 24 pounder), 22 pounds of MBS 6-7 Tomahawks, several MBS 9 boneless short ribs, a whole duck and some duck portions, and he threw in a MBS 9 wagyu sirloin for good measure.

So the meat fridge is stacked and the KBQ is waiting. Should get some good mileage on her from this lot.

Just need some good weather now !
    Attached Files

Wow. That’s some terrific looking meat! Now fire that thing up and COOK! 👍

Comment

Yup, stacked it is. Now start the cookin!

Comment

That wagyu looks awesome. Have fun!

Comment

From one KBQ Lover/Owner to another - you are in for some seriously great feasts!!!

Comment

And I thought my freezer was stocked. Wow! And also from one KBQ owner to another, you’re going to be eating well. Congrats. Looking forward to the pics.

Comment

Nice, thanks everyone. Can't wait to get that beauty cranking. Unfortunately there are gales and torrential downpours to contend with for a few days. The weekend will hopefully bring some KBQ calm to the storm. I'll post the after shots...

Comment

Congrats. I would like to get my dad one, and leave him with the job of "wood search."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7C6A03B5-BC4E-48DF-8AE2-5D338BE56907.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	1231283 Finally got a decent day. Decided to cook a boneless shortie for the family.

Simple SPG styling with a dry brine. Meat into freezer for 30 mins prior. Cooker averaged 235f. Cook went for 6 hours and it wasn’t probing butter till 211 on the FireBoard and 206 on the Thermapen. Top and bottom poppets open entire cook.

Name:	EBF1B2CA-25DA-4FD6-B3ED-C99F6D7525BC.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1231280
                  Got the Histrix mesh mod installed. Worked perfectly.

Name:	F2E3D028-9178-49AA-90EE-25A8FB29F300.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	1231281

Thought I would need to spritz but the outside stayed nice and moist through the cook. Had the classic KBQ color going on.

Name:	DFEE1819-38D3-4499-9BE2-A98D1B33F3C7.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	1231282

Perfect texture on the bark at 6 hour mark. Wrapped and left to cool/rest for just 30 mins as hungry kids required feeding.

Name:	169E0B43-6BA3-4176-8B5F-CD0C7425879B.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	1231284

As expected for the quality of the beef it was juicy, but also had the soft tender bite but not pull apart that I like. Only complaint I oversalted slightly.

Name:	37036FEF-372E-4DD3-8F13-3C45D726FBF8.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	1231278 Click image for larger version

Name:	DBE28E6F-C286-4856-8A42-C3C83BC77B1E.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	1231279

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                    Dr. Pepper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow! Perfect. And, look at all that clean stainless steel!

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Beautiful

I did learn something important today. Don’t drop wood into the firebox from the same hand that is holding the Thermapen.

I’m amazed it still works perfectly considering how long it spent in there before I managed to flick it out with the tamping tool in my other hand.

Name:	09C8F0ED-68D6-4846-A436-F3D520B89A36.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1231286

Comment

Congrats, they look great! Were you happy with taste?

Comment

It was nearly perfect: beautiful smoke profile (and strong for the Kbq), tender bite but not mushy, with crunchy but moist bark. Bit too salty for my taste, which I am prone to doing when I dry brine for some reason, but otherwise it was amazing.

it wasn’t a uniform shape and I worried some of it would be over cooked but there was only one in tiny corner of it that was a bit over.

I’d give it 8/10 if I had eased back on the salt it would have been 9/10.

Comment

Been meaning to post the finished product on these smoked Wagyu tomahawks. Note the crazy marbling on that spinalis. Hands down best steak I’ve ever eaten.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here