Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice please: Basic KBQ pork ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice please: Basic KBQ pork ribs?

Hey folks,

I have very little to no experience with cooking pork ribs. I'd like to try my hand at pork ribs in my KBQ. I have apple wood.

Can you folks please give me some basic rib directions. Things I need to know include, what kind of ribs (baby back, country style ribs, St. Louis, etc).
    I'm assuming I'd slather and rub. I see recipes that emphasize 3 - 2- 1, w/ a 2 hour wrap in the middle. During the wrap, I've sen people suggest adding butter, and brown sugar. Then for the last hour glaze with sweet vinegar based sauce.
    What temps in the KBQ for the 3-2-1 method? Should I pretty much expect them to take 6 hours? Do they need an extended rest?

I know people look for meat pulling back from the bone and bend in racks for for dunness. Is there a temp? Probe tender?
    Is there anything I'm missing?

Respectfully,
    JD

The type of ribs you cook should just come down to your personal preference, there’s no right or wrong type of ribs to do. I like the style of ribs that are on my plate. But, that being said, a St. Louis cut might be a good style to start with. There’d be very little, if any, trimming or cutting for you to do. Sometimes I’ll cut off the thinnest 2 or 3 ribs off one end, if they’re just too skinny.

Some people will slather their ribs with mustard to act as a binder for the rub, that’s just personal preference again. Personally I just apply my rub straight to the ribs with no binder. The 3-2-1 method you ask about is pretty common, the 2 hour wrap will almost guarantee tender ribs. I don’t wrap my ribs anymore because I don’t like them "fall off the bone" tender, I like a little tug and texture. I think a lot of us here don’t wrap their ribs anymore for this reason.

I’d smoke them at around 250* and it should not take 6 hours, I’ve found my ribs are always done in 5 hours or less, especially at temps of 250-275. There’s no need to rest your ribs, although you can. I like mine hot off the grill. The meat pulling back from the bone, time cooked, bark formation and the bend test are what I use to determine doneness. I’ve never used a thermometer for doneness. I’ll defer to others for that answer. Good luck, you got this JJ
    Last edited by Panhead John; May 28, 2022, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Same again as what PJ said.
      I suggest study the free side of AR.
      As to cook time, the KBQ will cook ~20% faster.

Comment

Cooking is about time and temperature. The 3-2-1 method will work if you tend to the cook. Recipes are not cast in stone.
        The steps are to smoke, then wrap, and followed by setting the sauce. This method is also cursed by many.
        You can't go wrong with Meat Head's Last Meal Ribs: The Best Smoked BBQ Ribs You've Ever Tasted: Last Meal Ribs Recipe (amazingribs.com) Here on Amazing Ribs

(4) Baby Back Ribs on the Karubecue C-60 Pit - YouTube

Have fun and happy grilling to you.
        Don't forget pictures.

Comment

Don't forget the PBR. Everything seems to cook better with a beer in hand. 🍺

Comment

They are going to he great! May you cook them
            often 🔥🔥🔥🐿

Comment

I agree with the above and remember there is never a bad cook, just adventures to talk about!

Comment

May I suggest that you buy Meathead’s best selling book? As great as this place is, the book is a better place to learn the basics much more efficiently. If you happen to be a Kindle Unlimited subscriber you can use the book forever - for free! For convenience’s sake I have both the hardcover and the Kindle version, and refer to them often.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                  Jfrosty27 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great advice. That book changed my bbq results immeasurably.

Jfrosty27 Same here. It’s more important than any BBQ equipment, YouTube video, or internet post.

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1 I actually bought Meathead’s book first, before I joined. I didn’t even know about AR until I bought his book. After reading it is how I found out about AR and then I joined. People here have been pissed ever since……😂

• Sid P
                  Sid P commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Panhead John. I noticed there’s no mention of the website in the Kindle version I bought more recently. Probably just a coincidence 😜.

Hi JD

I did my first KBQ ribs this weekend using tips from hours spent going through the entire sticky thread on this forum.

This was my cook:

2 x Swift St Louis cut racks

rub:

Applied 16 mesh black pepper, not too heavy not too light sprinkled by hand from up high for nice even spread. kosher salt on next. One rack also got a very light coating of chipotle powder.

Wood was Oak.

Average temp 230 (188f at 1 o’clock) no temp probe just checked using hole at top a couple of times.

Ran with top poppet fully open and bottom closed for first hour to get stronger smoke profile, then both fully open for rest of cool. Lid on.

Ribs into KBQ super cold.

No spritz, sauce, or wrap while cooking. In fact I only opened the door once during the cook.

Checked (bend test using tongs) at 3.30hr mark, and they were done !

Wrapped in butcher paper and into the cooler for a couple of your until dinner.

Best ribs I’ve ever cooked: super juicy, perfect clean tender bite but not fall off the bone, great smoke ring.

This cooker is a beast. So easy. I looked after three young kids, cleaned up kitchen, mucked around house, and just had timer set to 20 mins to check wood and coal bed and feed as required. Can’t barely believe how good this thing is… and the flavour…

Didn’t get any photos after cutting unfortunately...

Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great advice! I could talk about my cookers but timing on what you have appears to be much different - in a good way

Click image for larger version

Name:	EC102598-1D2D-47D5-A0AD-605B188D13A5.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1228642
                So many ways to cook ribs on the KBQ!

Comment

Nice shot and presentation! But where's the recipe run down brother ?!

Comment

Originally posted by CALNZ View Post
                    Hi JD

I did my first KBQ ribs this weekend using tips from hours spent going through the entire sticky thread on this forum.

This was my cook:

2 x Swift St Louis cut racks

rub:

Applied 16 mesh black pepper, not too heavy not too light sprinkled by hand from up high for nice even spread. kosher salt on next. One rack also got a very light coating of chipotle powder.

Wood was Oak.

Average temp 230 (188f at 1 o’clock) no temp probe just checked using hole at top a couple of times.

Ran with top poppet fully open and bottom closed for first hour to get stronger smoke profile, then both fully open for rest of cool. Lid on.

Ribs into KBQ super cold.

No spritz, sauce, or wrap while cooking. In fact I only opened the door once during the cook.

Checked (bend test using tongs) at 3.30hr mark, and they were done !

Wrapped in butcher paper and into the cooler for a couple of your until dinner.

Best ribs I’ve ever cooked: super juicy, perfect clean tender bite but not fall off the bone, great smoke ring.

This cooker is a beast. So easy. I looked after three young kids, cleaned up kitchen, mucked around house, and just had timer set to 20 mins to check wood and coal bed and feed as required. Can’t barely believe how good this thing is… and the flavour…

Didn’t get any photos after cutting unfortunately...

Hey CALNZ, great write up and excellent cook!

Life got in the way and haven't had time to get to the ribs yet. I intend to do some real soon! You've certainly inspired me.

CALNZ, I have a question for you. I see a pan in the bottom. Is that filled w/ water or simply to catch drips?
                    JD

Comment

Thanks JD. I’ve been experimenting lately with spritzing and saucing near end of cook, but finding the spritzing is extending cook time for limited benefit. Last attempt went four hours instead of 3.5. Definitely recommend turning the ribs around half way or a few times as end that’s at back of the cooker can cook faster sometimes I’ve found.

The pan is for making clean up easy. I’ve tried water or no water couldn’t really notice any difference to the cook. I will say that a bit of water in the pan does make cleaning than pan itself a bit easier tho ! As you don’t get hardened drips stuck to it.

the pan at bottom is essential in my opinion as otherwise you will be scraping out bottom of KBQ and hosing her out after every cook. And if you do a fatty brisket or something you will get fat dropping out the holes on the bottom of the unit and messing up your ground.

Looking forward hearing your rib journey (don’t forget pics!).

Cheers

Comment

CALNZ I do not rotate what I am cooking in the KBQ. Yes, with a packer brisket I put the larger end in the back.

I have a water pan that is 2.5" deep in the bottom of the KBQ. It is full of right to the top at the beginning of the cook. When the meat I am cooking gets to 170 degrees F internal temperature then I check the water pan. I add 1 to 2 gal. of HOT water if needed.

I do not cook the meat on the racks that come with the KBQ. I have one KBQ rack for my temperature probe in the cooker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200927_161330.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1242620

All my cooking is done on the pans that fit in the cooker. The rack and pan are sprayed with Pam before hand. The foil takes most of the mess in the pan. Put the rack and pan in the disk washer on pots and pans cycle and everything comes out clear.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here