Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQing in the rain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQing in the rain?

I don't know, this might be a really dumb question but here goes....Can one KBQ in the rain? If not, what are the issues (other than the cook getting wet)? If so, what precautions does one need to take?
    Thanks in advance!
    JD

If it is light rain your probably ok. But if it is moderate to heavy rain the rain would most likely put out your fire and could possibly short out the control box.

Comment

Thanks, I didn’t think about the control box. I figured I put a patio umbrella over top of the smoker.
      JD

Comment

I think the patio umbrella should work just fine. Or even better if you have one or those pop up tents you see at craft shows or street fairs.

Comment

Thanks man, i didn’t thank of that. I do have one of those.
          JD

Comment

• flepper
            flepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, whenever I fire mine up, it seems to attract rain. I use my patio umbrella and it works well.

I've done it. Prefer not to, but what can you do? If you're just cooking steaks, you can start the fire in the weber by putting bricks or cinder blocks on the edge of the bowl and put the lid on top of those to work as a roof to keep the fire from getting wet. If you're on the smoker, the rain water will lower that cooker temp as it hits the metal so you will have that complication.

Comment

My Traeger functions well in the rain, but I cannot let the pellets get wet. That is a BIG NO-NO.
            So, I just do not Traeger in the Rain.
            My suggestion is don't KBQ in the rain. Do you really want to sit out back watching the cook, drinking a beer in the Rain?

Comment

Thanks everyone.
              I am lucky enough to be able to reschedule the event. If rain is in the forecast again, I’ll put up my pop-up tent for the KBQ, the wood & my chair.
              JD

Comment

Highly recommended to use a GFCI outlet for power if there's any chance of wetness. The GFCI will trip if there's any unexpected ground (like your body) in the circuit and could be a lifesaver. I always use one. The GFCI outlet replaces a standard outlet; no extra wiring required.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here