Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood storage for KBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood storage for KBQ

Does anyone have a wood storage solution you like? I've been looking at some of the traditional wood storage options, but all are a bit too big for 8" pieces. Contemplating building one ahead of the 1/2 cord I'm picking up this Friday. Send pics/links if you have something you like.

I use a Costco large black plastic storage container, the one with the yellow lid. Probably available at Lowes, etc as well.

I cut enough to fill it when low on wood, and it lasts for about 3 - 4 KBQ sessions. (Note: once I wrap, for pork butt, or sometimes brisket, I bring it inside into the oven. Why feed wood every 25 minutes simply for BTUs.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9954.jpeg
Views:	482
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	1145829 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9955.jpeg
Views:	419
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	1145830

Comment

Not sure if I should start a new thread, but I’ll piggy back for now.

I have most of a face cord stacked in my garage. Does it need to be covered? How long before it’s too dry to use, or is that even possible without kiln drying it?

Comment

• frigate
        frigate commented
        Editing a comment
        I have wood in my in my garage uncovered. I have 6 square plastic milk crates and 6 rectangular plastic milk crates from Home Depot. All filled with 8" splits. After a year in the garage the moisture content is 13%. A little ways into my journey with the KBQ. I brought some kiln dried 8" splits. They burned quicker and hotter. Think ten to fifteen minutes between putting more splits on the fire.
        Last edited by frigate; December 23, 2021, 07:45 PM.

Oh yes.....I do.
      The first one is where I store a lot of the wood when I am done splitting it. (I had a bunch of stain left over from some other projects so I stained them, not necessary at all.)

Name:	50920918-E651-47C9-9E37-2F7F8879A8A3.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	1145859

Name:	IMG_9970.jpeg
Views:	398
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	1145861

Name:	IMG_9974.jpeg
Views:	401
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	1145862

Then when I cut the pieces to size, I put them in my smaller bunk that I keep right on the patio. I used some old aluminum roofing from my buddies barn, and it works great on the roof.

Name:	IMG_1569.jpeg
Views:	404
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	1145860

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Show off 👍

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You know how it is. LOL Troutman

• jstephensii
        jstephensii commented
        Editing a comment
        This is awesome. Thanks for the share!

I bought this recently. Works good and can be made quite narrow and still be stable.
      Pleasant Hearth 4 Piece Log Rack Brackets, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FK6SXJ4...5DZTX6THGTBYF0

Name:	41G1iEBAe0L._AC_SY1000_.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1145882

Comment

What about something like this? You can go bigger with two cinder blocks spread further apart. I may build one myself as my Shirley Fabrication patio model runs best on KBQ-size splits.
        Attached Files

Comment

Does this count? 😛

Comment

I have to confess that I didn't hand make this, unlike Spinaker 😏. But, Woodhaven Firewood Racks are made in the USA, and I have an 8 foot and a 12 footer. The rain cover keeps the upper logs dry while allowing air movement, and slips down as you remove wood. To prevent smaller pieces from falling through the bottom, I bought some SS closet wire racks from Lowes, and used my circular cutter to fit around the posts.

(oh, yeah, and they’re sturdy. You can by cheaper flimsy imports, but you’ll get an inferior product. I know from bad experience, which-as we all know- leads to good judgment.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9956.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	1.50 MB ID:	1146029 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9957.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	1146030 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9958.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	4.82 MB ID:	1146031

Last edited by Dr. Pepper; December 21, 2021, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              Eh, Spinaker . Ignore the haters; we're just jealous 'cause we didn't get to go fishing in Alaska, or take saunas with cast iron open fire pots of good food.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Touche! I will take my wins where I can. That is what it is all about.

• Bad Hat BBQ
              Bad Hat BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on Woodhaven
              I have had the 5 ' version for about 5 years.

Planning to order 1-2 of these soon:

Attached Files

Comment

Another pic
              Attached Files

Comment

Another pic of a buddy’s setup for perspective
                Attached Files

Comment

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great idea for storage under an enclosed area and really nice if you live close enough to pickup. Unfortunately shipping to my location is close to $400.

Yep agreed on shipping. I live in TX so it’s definitely an option for pickup. Maybe there’s another supplier near you? Good luck!

Comment

I have a perfect spot for this in a dedicated BBQ Cabana in a new custom home we’re building on 3 acres. Already measured and will fit perfectly.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdavidson View Post
                    I have a perfect spot for this in a dedicated BBQ Cabana in a new custom home we’re building on 3 acres. Already measured and will fit perfectly.
                    How is this set up coming along?

Comment

Picked up a truckload of Mesquite a few weeks ago and split each piece to fit the KBQ. Basket works great to corral the smaller splits!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here