Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cook #2 - Brisket Position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook #2 - Brisket Position?

So tomorrow I’m doing a 12# brisket (after trimming). Has a KBQ consensus been reached regarding which end of the brisket goes towards the back of the cookbox? Also, I’ll continue to put the fat cap down unless the experts have decided that’s wrong. Thanks.
    Last edited by Sid P; September 27, 2021, 07:05 PM.

Meathead has declared there is no difference on up or down on the fat cap. All up to you there buddy.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      STEbbq hope that didn't come across harsh, he does state it doesn't matter for moisture absorption etc... the article is geared towards the science of fat so your initial statement is kinda correct.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries. I reread both this article and the fat cap article. You are definitely riight.

Behold the best smoked brisket recipe ever! Texas style brisket is more than a recipe, it is a concept and a goal. It all begins by selecting the right meat, trimming it, seasoning it, smoking it, slicing it, and more. Follow this easy BBQ brisket guide for mouthwatering results!

He does recommend fat cap down as you say between the heat source. However, he also says he flips his meat no one can win the argument, which I interpreted to mean he saw minimal benefit, which I remembered as virtually no benefit.
      Last edited by STEbbq; September 28, 2021, 07:24 PM.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs I actually now flip my pastrami too as I find that ensures more crunchy bark all over instead of some liquids pooling on the top. So I am I guess in the indifferent camp influenced by Meathead.
      Last edited by STEbbq; September 28, 2021, 07:12 PM.

I put the fat cap towards the heat. In my pellet grill the fat cap down.
    As you get to know your cooker, such things are not a problem. You may want to run some temperature tests.

Don't overthink it as I tend to do, mix up techniques, or get impatient.
    Plan your cook, in writing (a written guide), and keep a log as you cook. But remember the guide is not written in stone. This really helps me.

Happy BBQ to you and PBR too
    Last edited by bbqLuv; September 27, 2021, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Sid P I agree with ComfortablyNumb that Ernest is the best to answer that now, although Spinaker also could pitch in. My understanding is that since the hot air from the firebox is dumped into the back of the KBQ, you should place the fattest part (the point) towards the back. Now, if you like to split the point and flat, that's another matter. Or is it 🤔?

Comment

I tend to put the point towards the back of the chamber just out of habit. Not that there is any science at all. it just happens that way LOL.

Comment

Thanks all. The brisket is on, so this is my view for the next 12 hours…
          Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            What? No mountains in Chicagoland? (We used to go to Wilmont (sp?) 'Mountain' to ski when I was a teenager in Chicago. And, 'Mount Trashmore'. I think it was about 200 ft elevation.

• Sid P
            Sid P commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve been to Wilmot Mountain, but I’m not familiar with Mount Trashmore, unless they ski on the garbage dump golf course in Batavia.

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            It was a soil covered garbage heap north of the city. I'm talking about 1968.

I always put the point in the back of the cooker, fat cap down. That extra fat in the point has no problem handling the extra heat that is coming right out of the firebox.

I always split my briskets and I try to put the thinnest part of the flat toward the door. The point goes on the upper part of the cook box.

I tend to spritz throughout the cook to keep those corners and edges moist. I generally spray about every other time I throw a piece of wood on.

Now let's see the brizzzzzzzzzz!!!!!

Comment

• RickyG
            RickyG commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker, do you mind sharing why you split the brisket? I was planning to do the same but most of the replies I got dissuaded me from doing so without actually explaining what the downsides are.

My reasons for wanting to split it are (1) I can slice it better/properly and (2) I can pull each out as they are done.

Thanks.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I split because the point and the flat are done at different times. The things you mentioned below are just the reasons I would list. Many are telling you not to split because the action of splitting the point from the fact can be a little tricky if you have not trimmed a brisket before. That being said, I am sure you can figure it out. Or I can help with that too. RickyG

• RickyG
            RickyG commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker, thank you. That’s very encouraging to hear. That’s just the way I’m used to cooking. When roasting a whole prime rib, for example, I often separate the spinalis and cook it separately.

Would appreciate some tips on how to best do this. Any specific videos you’d recommend?

Here’s the thread that I started btw….

So I’m about to cook my first brisket. A few questions before I finalize my game plan. 1. Is there a downside to separating the point from the flat? I figure the advantages would be: I get to slice it properly against the grain better if separated I can pull out the point and flat at the optimal times without the risk
            Last edited by RickyG; November 5, 2021, 06:16 PM.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
          …. Now let's see the brizzzzzzzzzz!!!!!
          You mean this?
          Attached Files

Comment

• Sid P
            Sid P commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker Thanks, I sure hope it is!

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            We can hardly wait the two hours to see the slices!

• Sid P
            Sid P commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, this is a lot of pressure.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here