Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook - Emergency Poppet Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook - Emergency Poppet Question!

The poppet is open when the lever is pulled out, right? The manual only refers to open & closed. I’m doing a hot & fast pork butt (285), and I have the bottom poppet pulled all the way out. Does that sound like enough smoke?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sid P; September 26, 2021, 07:08 AM.

Only thing I ever knew about poppets was from Pirates of the Caribbean.

Sorry, no help, I know, but someone who knows the KBQ will surely be along shortly. Good luck!

Comment

Yes. You can see the poppet by looking inside the firebox. Adding wood can push a closed poppet open, so be mindful when adding wood. Some will use a binder clip on the 'lever' to keep it in a closed or open position.

Comment

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Floyd fan 👍. I could see pretty much see the top one, but the bottom was obscured by wood. Is "The Wall" your favorite Floyd album?

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Sid P That's the 'dirty' smoke one, so it is the one that matters. Usually you run a KBQ with the bottom one open and the top closed. As long as you don't bump the bottom poppet stem you need not worry on it.

Floyd? The Wall? I have no idea what you are talking about.

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        Well it’s a heck of a coincidence.

Are you sure the bottom one wasn’t obscured by clouds?

All PF albums are my favourite!

Comment

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        👍. My favorite band by far.

What James (ComfortablyNumb) said, re: poppets. Both upper and lower poppets work the same. When the poppet is pulled away from the fire box it opens the inlet for smoke to be pulled from the firebox down into the channel which leads to the food chamber. You can always confirm this by simply looking at the upper poppet as an indicator of how it works.

RE: Pink Floyd, and The Wall, this is what Sid P is referring to:

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        But you knew that! (I didn't, had to look up the reference 😬)

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        Right song, wrong album cover.

Pictures, if doesn't happen without pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210926_121930.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1100721

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210926_121918_001.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	1100722

Comment

Like someone once said: It will never be this clean again.

8# pork butt 4 hours in. I’m using hickory.
        Attached Files

Comment

Man, this thing is running great. Add a split every 25 minutes, add two every 3rd or 4th time, keep the coals evenly distributed, and it hasn’t budged from 270-305 all morning.

I also like the copper color it’s taking on.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            I tell Siri on my watch to set timer for 25 m, and each time it goes off I let it irritate me until I’ve reloaded the firebox, then I press reset on my watch.
            Rinse, repeat …..

• Sid P
            Sid P commented
            Editing a comment
            Dr. Pepper Yep, that’s what I’m doing.

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            I'm glad you like the new colour. Get used to it!

The finished product. It took 8:15 running at an average of 280. It’s resting while I shower away the smoke.
          Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t have a KBQ - almost ran to Sac to buy one from a member of the pit posted here. I knew my wife would make me get rid of one of my other cookers. I love the photos you all post. Phenomenal.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
        Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
        Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The InfraredZone

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order