Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Prep and First Cook Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sid P
    commented on 's reply
    Dr. Pepper I agree 100%. I read a different thread that discussed mitre saws, loppers, and accidental digit removal, and decided to go with the much safer option. I think as long as I wear safety glasses the only way I could hurt myself with this would be if I decided to test it on my leg.

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    I agree about the Gator lopper. It's not made out of the greatest components, and I have had to replace a part once, which cost half the price of a new one, but they're quick, and most important, they're SAFE!

• Sid P
    replied
    That Lopper is SWEET!!! It took 10 minutes or less to cut 8-9 gallons of ready to burn wood.

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    I agree that hickory is tough, but I'm still able to split it with my kindling cracker and 3# hammer. Although it often takes a greater number of significantly harder blows than my apple does.

• Sid P
    replied
    Thanks everyone for all the help!

Leave a comment:

• Sid P
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Bruce, it’s nice to know it will get easier. For now I’ll just consider it a replacement for my usual workouts 😩.

• Bruceski44
    commented on 's reply
    Hickory is tough! That's why they make tool handles from it. Just try to get through enough for 1 cook and the next time should be a little easier because the wood will be more seasoned. They do make hydraulic log splitters which will cost a lot more, but are much easier to use.

• Bruceski44
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I take 2 full overhead swings, then a bunch of shorter swings before it splits fully. The shorter swings are so I don't bring the sledge full force down on the cracker blade, or the handle onto the rim. The 8-pounder sure beats using the 3# shorty.

What kind of wood are you splitting? When was it cut?

• Sid P
    commented on 's reply
    Dewesq55 Hmmm indeed. I’m starting to wonder if my hickory is green, but the company I bought it from has all 5 star reviews, so…. I’m concentrating on making solid contact and not taking a big overhead swing, not having used a sledge hammer or axe in the past 45 years.

• Sid P
    replied
    Bruceski44 I got an 8# long handle like your pic, and it works much better, although most still take 3-4 solid whacks.

Leave a comment:

• Bruceski44
    commented on 's reply
    8 lb.
    that thing will split an atom but it won't split the check.

If your wood isn't fully seasoned (but whose is?) it will be tough to split. I did a cook yesterday and noticed my seasoned apple wood is easier now than it was 5 mos ago

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Hmmm, I use a 3# hammer with my small kindling cracker all the time with no issues. I don't own a KBQ, but use small splits in my COS

• Dr. Pepper
    replied
    Sid P I use the back side of my ax. It doesn't take much to split them. Avoid the area with knots from branches, however.

Leave a comment:

• Sid P
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, Bruce. What’s it weigh?

• Bruceski44
    replied
    Harbor Freight
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here