Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still can't get Smoke through all my Ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bbqLuv
    replied
    I am not saying to do this, but adding a little curing/pink salt to your rub may enhance the smoke ring.
    Also sounds like something may be blocking the smoke, perhaps a layer of fat?
    Is it pork or beef ribs?
    And if all else fails, red food coloring, but you didn't hear that from me.

Leave a comment:

• lostclusters
    replied
    WhiteSmokeExpert if I understand your post correctly you are concerned about no smoke ring in the thinner parts of the rib. This is a cosmetic thing and does not affect flavor. However if you wish to achieve it you should put your ribs in the freezer for 30 minutes prior to cooking and then put them directly in to your smoker from the freezer. This should get you what you are looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    commented on 's reply
    My gear frequently overshoots temps too(gaskets, I'm working on it...), and I don't see that issue.So, maybe it's a moisture thing?

• efincoop
    replied
    Jeremy Yoder (aka Mad Scientist BBQ) suggests that using just kosher salt & coarse ground pepper allows for maximum smoke penetration. His theory is that rubs with fine ingredients create a barrier that makes if tough for the smoke to penetrate, I plan to try this out soon with 2 racks of ribs. One with just kosher salt & coarse ground pepper, the other with a standard rub.

Leave a comment:

• WhiteSmokeExpert
    commented on 's reply
    Well, the KBQ doesn't like to run at a precise temp, Obvisioly if I could keep it at 225 this probably wouldn't be a problem, but I had it where it was only peaking at 234 the other day, but it still cooked em too fast. I don't like white rib meat, the texture is crummy, and the flavor is not as good.

• Jim White
    replied
    Are you starting with the ribs really cold? Do you use a water pan?

Smoke will adhere best when the ribs are cold and moist. You might even want to use a spritz of water as you apply the final rub to help it adhere and have moisture right on the surface just as they go into the cooker.

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    replied
    Decreasing the temp and longer cooking time, maybe? You didn't elaborate on your cook temp or time, so with the info you gave, that sounds to be the culprit. Having said that, I don't stress about smoke rings, as long as the ribs taste good.

Leave a comment:

• WhiteSmokeExpert
    started a topic Still can't get Smoke through all my Ribs.

Still can't get Smoke through all my Ribs.

Had the same problem with all the smokers I've used, The thick part of the ribs turns nice and dark pink with the brown center, But the thin part turns either white or slightly pink with the white center. I've gotten the thin part of the ribs to change color before, so I know it can be done, but I can never do it consistently. I know I need to keep them under 140 longer, but man the KBQ gets them above 140 fast. If anyone getting the smoke ring on the thin part of the ribs I'd like to know your methods.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here