Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still can't get Smoke through all my Ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiller Phil
    commented on 's reply
    Jeremy's theory is false.
    Meathead and Dr. Blonder prove otherwise, information readily available of the public side of AR.
    Read the "Smoke and Food" portion of "Smoke Science", located in "Science & Technique".
    Last edited by Chiller Phil; September 17, 2021, 05:35 PM. Reason: Incomplete.

• Chiller Phil
    commented on 's reply
    Securing of the Poppet Valves is not required, as they do not alter their position during a cook.
    I attest to that fact as an owner and frequent user.

• Backroadmeats
    commented on 's reply
    Celery seed and curing salt add the same thing. Nitrates.. only difference is you know the amount of nitrate in pink salt,. Celery seed not so much.

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Hello from NW Oregon

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    What temperature monitoring system are you using? If just the thermometer that came with the KBQ that goes in at the top you won't get a true reading of the cook chamber temp. I use a Maverick SR50 and place a probe on the cooking grate on either side of the ribs. Sometimes I put a probe in the thick end but I usually just use the bend test to tell when they are done.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    Too EZ a solution.

• efincoop
    commented on 's reply
    If you don't care to use curing salt Harry Soo recommends adding celery seed to your rub. I have done this in the past and it works for me.

• CandySueQ
    replied
    Squish your ribs fatter when you put them on the cooker. This plumps up the skinny end. Good advice above!

Leave a comment:

• DeusDingo
    replied
    the "thin parts" if i am thinking of the right spot likely get super dried out and won't hold a smoke ring.

do they taste smokey but they just aren't pink? then i wouldn't worry about it

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit!

Are you cooking those "extra meaty" babybacks? Folks have had problems cause one end is too thick.

Leave a comment:

• Sid P
    replied
    You’ve had the same problem with all your smokers, so maybe your expectations are too high? Also, there’s no mention of your KBQ poppet settings, and whether you check them frequently during your cooks. I don’t have a KBQ yet, but I’ve read many times that the poppets can move if they aren’t clipped into place.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Welcome to The Pit.

If your ribs are thicker on one end than the other, you could cut them where the thickness change starts and pull each when it's ready.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Pepper
    replied
    And, while this may be obvious, I'll put it out there: Place the thick ends of the ribs towards the back of the cook chamber where the baffles dump the hot gases. The thin ends towards the doors.

Leave a comment:

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    replied
    When ribs are overcooked they can get really white... is it possible the thicker parts are perfectly cooked and the thinner parts are over? If you have a lot of variability in the thickness from one end of the rack to the other, it can make it difficult to achieve the right balance.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    I know nothing about the KBQ, but also in agreement with lostclusters that it seems yer after looks & I heard little about taste, munchiness vs. cosmetics. Tell us what it tastes like.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here