Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicago Wood Supplier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicago Wood Supplier?

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on the C-60, so it’s time to find a wood supplier. I’m in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago (Elgin area), but anything within an hour or two is fine. Who are you guys using? Thanks.

I’m in Milwaukee and found a place in Waterford that sells seasoned vs. kiln dried wood. My guess is that you can find something closer. The real trick will be getting your wood cut down to right size for the KBQ.

If you want more info on the place I found, let me know.

rob

Comment

(PS: Should this be pinned somewhere on the KBQ forum? KBQ has landed? Ernest ? Spinaker ?
      Safest options for cutting to length Available corded or with Lithium battery
      Official website of BLACK+DECKER™. See our power tools, garden tools, and more. Find information on products, where to buy, news, and customer service.

​​​​​​​​​

Or this from Worx:
      The WORX 20V JawSaw cordless chainsaw is the ultimate powerful, portable & safe chainsaw to tackle pruning and trimming jobs anywhere for easy yard work!

​
      And for splitting your splits, nothing safer than this:
      https://www.kindlingcracker.com Comes in two sizes
      ​

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, honestly, I can't say recommend this. Mine broke pretty soon after getting it and the C-60. (Few months) They are really only rated for 4-inch pieces, so you tend to be a little limited there as well. I am not trying to rain on your parade or anything like that, just sharing my experience.

I now use a Bosch Miter saw that I got from my father when he updated his shop. Which is easier to use, faster and I think, a little safer.

I live in Fox Valley and have a guy, if u r interested

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo0209 View Post
        I live in Fox Valley and have a guy, if u r interested
        Absolutely! Thank you.

Comment

• Mojo0209
          Mojo0209 commented
          Editing a comment
          I can hook u up with him if need be. Good luck.

Hi Rob

Waterford is a little more than an hour from my house, which isn’t a big deal. Please share.

Originally posted by Rob whatever View Post
        I’m in Milwaukee and found a place in Waterford that sells seasoned vs. kiln dried wood. My guess is that you can find something closer. The real trick will be getting your wood cut down to right size for the KBQ.

If you want more info on the place I found, let me know.

rob

Comment

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Rob, I appreciate the help.

• Rob whatever
          Rob whatever commented
          Editing a comment
          Sid,

Here is the place I go to in Waterford: S&T Firewood. Tom Mainus is the owner -their number is 414-378-2211/

I realized I should have sent this weeks ago!

Rob

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Rob, no worries. I appreciate it.

I get my Pellets online, and from Costco.
        Sorry, can't help.
        But with power outages, charcoal and stick burners are sounding better with each passing storm.
        Live Long and BBQ

Comment

I cut my own. So I do not deal with suppliers. But, landscaping companies are a great place to look if you are looking to do the same. I realize that is probably way more work than you want to put into it, but it is a great way to ensure you know what you are getting.

I use a miter saw to cut the pieces to KBQ length as soon as I have them split to fireplace size from the large rounds. The Miter saw is a lot easier to use than the "Alligator Loper" I have one originally, it broke with in a few months. Too cheap to handle the work load I guess.

Comment

I don't use a stick burner. Would any old appropriate type of firewood do? I've bought wood at Vessel Inc. 40 W 234 Fabyan Pkwy, Elburn, IL 60119. Haven't been there for a couple years, but they had a self-service yard (I was buying for the fire place) and they had the wood sorted by type, though I can't remember all types available, I know there was oak, and maybe cherry and hickory, as well as "mixed." They were pretty reasonable too.

Comment

I use a miter saw a lot but I also have the alligator saw - so far so good with it. I do a lot of landscaping and pruning at my house with it and used it after one of the hurricanes to cut up downed branches in my yard.

Comment

Sid P search in google maps for tree service near you. That's how I found my wood supplier

Comment

Sid P Just saw this on Facebook Marketplace:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

Comment

• Sid P
                    Sid P commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks, I’ll check it out.

From the free side there's this place:
                  A1 Country Firewood has provided Chicago firewood since 1981. Chicago's #1 Cooking Wood source with a large selection of BBQ Wood Flavors..

Comment

• Sid P
                    Sid P commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here