Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incoming C-60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incoming C-60

After going back and forth for basically a year, I finally pulled the trigger.

I’m going to cook beef ribs on it for the first try. I always do pork butt as my trial run, gotta mix it up for once.

I already have steam pans to use for water and grease, an alligator lopper, and about 1/8th cord of oak. Any must-have items I should get to go with it?

The only thing I don't see on your list is a kindling cracker to split the wood down if needed?

Comment

• Killa J
      Killa J commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, forgot to list that. Got that for father’s day this year

Congrats! Can't wait to see it in its shiny display of beauty and hear what you think of your first few cooks. I have a kindling cracker XL and I can't speak highly enough of it, it is a fantastic tool and the young girl who invented it with her dad is a saint.

Comment

• Killa J
      Killa J commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have preferred the XL, but I got mine as a gift. The kids love watching me split logs now

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Tell the kids how much fun it is and let them do it.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Killa J Later you can purchase an XL I have both. Advantage is slight, but the smaller ring can stabilize smaller diameter pieces. Admittedly, the XL could do it all. And, welcome to the KBQ gang!

Congrats on the C-60, you will love it. Lots of folks use the steam well pan with no problems but I seemed to have a problem with airflow in mine so I switched to a smaller cheap metal pan from the grocery store - it was with the disposable foil pans although this one can be reused. I often put a pot of beans under the meat I'm smoking to catch the drippings. Beef rib drippings would flavor the beans awesomely.

Comment

• Killa J
      Killa J commented
      Editing a comment
      I love to do that with a pork butt over a pot of beans!

Congrats. When's it arriving?

Comment

• Killa J
      Killa J commented
      Editing a comment
      Tomorrow according to the tracking info. I was not expecting it that fast.

Congrats! I got an electric log splitter from amazon 2 years ago and that thing is great for breaking splits down. It has split multiple cords of oak at this point and is still going strong. Really helps to "customize" the splits for your KBQ, along with a miter saw.

Comment

Is there any simple way of adding wheels to it? The most convenient place for me to store it is in my shed, but I’d have to move it across the yard to a safe place to cook. The only thing I can think of is putting it on a pull cart.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        The C60 already has two 3" wheels on the rear legs. My impression is you can roll it like you would a hand truck, by tipping it up onto those 2 wheels.

From the website, box 2 of 2 contains:

- Two 3″ wheels pre-mounted on the rear legs

• Killa J
        Killa J commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I didn’t notice them in pictures

Just my luck - the cook chamber arrived, but not the other parts. No idea how that happened, the tracking had both boxes listed for the shipment. Hopefully the rest arrives tomorrow.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh that’s cruel.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I would call the Fed Ex terminal. And figure out if they still have them there and they did not get loaded.

• Killa J
        Killa J commented
        Editing a comment
        There’s a different tracking number for the other box - it shows as delayed at a terminal in another state with no estimated delivery date. No bueno.

I think you have everything you need.

Make sure to put a grilling mat under the KBQ before you start the cook. I like to put a small folding table next to the KBQ to put the meat on when I am wrapping. It is also helpful to have a drip pan under the KBQ corners just incase you get any dripping that does not hit the stream pan. There is usually none to minimal grease dripping out, but I like to put one down, just to be safe.

Welcome to the KBQ family.

Comment

Congrats! You will love it! Be sure to post pics!

I started using these on the bottom rack to catch drippings. They slide right in and I can just be tossed after use.

Comment

• Killa J
          Killa J commented
          Editing a comment
          I wonder if I can get those at Restaurant Depot, disposable would be much easier than dumping and cleaning my steam table pans.

KillaJ,
        Congratulations!

SmokeyNate, those pans will have a negative affect on convection airflow from the primary discharge opening of the duct if not modified at the rear portion of the pan.
        My Rib gave me one of her baking sheets, which is the same dimension as the wire shelves and only 1/2" high. Minimal cleaning of the cook boxes bottom is required.

Comment

• Killa J
          Killa J commented
          Editing a comment
          I checked, none of my baking sheets are large enough. I do have 3/4” deep steam table pans that fit perfectly. Not sure if that is deep enough as a water pan too, but I think they make 1.5” deep ones as well. I only have 3/4”, 4”, and 6” deep pans from an old catering deal.
          Last edited by Killa J; August 6, 2021, 06:36 PM.

Second box arrived yesterday! How deep does the thermometer need to go? I have to kinda force it in.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Killa J
          Killa J commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. The thicker portion of the thermometer doesn’t quite fit the hole, but I’m able to force it in by turning back and forth and pushing. Wasn’t sure how far to push since it didn’t want to go in at all.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I honestly would not worry about that. I set my dial to 150 C and let it go. This gives me an average temp of about 250 F. Sometimes I will leave a thermo in the box, but that is rare now a days.

Force it in with a drop of oil and some twisting. It's a tight fit to minimize rattling.

Make a custom calibration mark on the faceplate:
        1. Tweak the knob to achieve an average (of ON and OFF temps) of 232F
        2. Mark the Controlbox faceplate with a Sharpie adjacent the 232 mark on the knob

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here