Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of saw for prepping wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Deter View Post
    This thread has guaranteed that if I ever get a cooker that requires small splits, I will make sure to cut the logs to the required length first with the chainsaw and then split them afterwards! As a side effect it may cause me to get one of those alligator gizmos...
    haha, I did that once with a 65-foot cherry tree. It is not the way to go. There are a TON of little tiny pieces in a tree like that. It is better to cut them to storage length. (16 inch length, typical fireplace length) and then split them for storage. It is much easier to stack and store 16 inch logs, than it is to store 8 inch logs. Trust me! (And you would be better off with a miter saw, they will cut faster, cleaner and more efficiently, IMHO)

When it is time to cook, you can take out what you need from storage, then cut to size. Over the years of owning the KBQ I found this to be much better. And it cuts your initial labor time down and spreads it out. Trying to split a ton of 8 inch logs means you have to split twice as much when it comes to axe swings, than you would if you simply kept them at 16-inches and split them. It is much easier to split them at 16-inches and then all you have to do is cut that split to 8 inches on the miter saw. It is also much easier on your chainsaw and the chains as it limits the total cuts you are making with your chainsaw.

Comment

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker actually I really enjoy splitting logs...its satisfying and for some reason doesn't hurt my back

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I love it too. Great activity. And you get to be outside. Dan Deter

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker You mean you don't split logs in the dining room? No wonder my wife is so pissed at me.

Well, I got my Gator and the verdict is out. It worked really well, plus it's fun to use. Highly recommended to anyone looking for a simple, safe, relatively cheap option for feeding your KBQ.

I only have one complaint. I don't know if it's because it's a newer model, or if it's the cordless version... but the bar doesn't have the cartoon alligator on it like you see in the Youtube videos. Disappointing....

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      And, your digit count remains at 10!! Win win. CaptainMike, then I guess we're off duty tonight.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice, thanks for inviting us along for the ride! And Dr. Pepper, you know better than to incite the Call Gods. Oh, wait, we're both retired, incite away my good fellow!!! Want to know how to jack up an ER full of nurses and doctors? Well, just as you're leaving say loudly "It sure is quiet in here!", then run for your life. Hahaha, It usually backfired on me, but it gets 'em every time!

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      True this 👆🏻 CaptainMike

Originally posted by vtkess02 View Post
    Well, I got my Gator and the verdict is out. It worked really well, plus it's fun to use. Highly recommended to anyone looking for a simple, safe, relatively cheap option for feeding your KBQ.

I only have one complaint. I don't know if it's because it's a newer model, or if it's the cordless version... but the bar doesn't have the cartoon alligator on it like you see in the Youtube videos. Disappointing....
    How is the battery life on the battery version? About how many ~4-6" logs can you saw on one charge?

Comment

I don't think I've seen anyone mention a radial arm saw.
      Expensive, yes, but we're talking BBQing here, moneys no object.
      Chop and miter saws sometimes don't have the power we need for cutting raw wood thus the binding and kick backs.
      A radial arm saw big power for big jobs.
      Check the classifieds for a used Delta, Rockwell even a Craftsman.
      Disclaimer: Sometimes my ideaers aren't the greatest.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here