Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
"beef rib sear"
Clear All

Johnny, there are many ways to smoke meats in your KBQ and have them come out excellent, above and beyond what most other smokers and pit watchers can do.
    My big beef ribs usually run anywhere from 6 to 8 hours to get tender and have that "better than beef jerky" bark.
    -
    I just asked my smoking buddy for our Beef Short Rib procedure.
    He is a great guy, a "non-drinker" who monitors the smokes and the intervals for us as to when to do "this" and when to do "that".
    -
    And now for... "The Beef Short Rib Procedure that Produces my Best Results!"
    -
    I go with a heavy rub of Kosher salt and fresh black coarse ground peppercorn. (50/50 by weight)
    (Swirl well each time before sprinkling)
    This way the beef flavor shines through.
    -
    My spritz is:
    30% Bottled Water
    60% Apple Cider Vinegar
    5% Wooster sauce
    5% Soy sauce
    -
    For Beef Short Ribs, I tried to follow Aaron Franklin's advice, but with this being a convection type, they ran too hot and started "Sizzling" on me.
    -
    So, I lowered the temperature over and over and for ME, they finally stopped sizzling at a 235°F average temperature.
    During my 1st trials with these monster ribs, I "fought" sizzling, and spritzed them like crazy to try to keep them from drying out.
    Franklin said to run them at 275°F but said to drop the temperature if they sizzle.
    So to me, sizzling is bad, as I discovered that the meat under that sizzle becomes dry and a bit darker, like a darker "chocolate" brown colored area. (NOT so good)
    -
    On another note...
    My family, friends and I all really like the KBQ's lighter but yet wonderfully full bodied smoke flavor, so I run all of my smokes with the Lid ON.
    With the Firebox being covered, it forces much more smoke to go down through the hot coals and be purified into "blue" smoke
    So when I run, the bottom poppet is locked open for maximum blue smoke... always.
    To get this top quality smoke, I also make sure the coal tray holes are covered with red hot coals.
    -
    For these beef short ribs, the top poppet ("dirty smoke") is set at 1/8" open.
    -
    I start the smoke with white Oak for the first 3 hours Johnny.
    After that, I go to Mesquite and run it all the way to the finish.
    In my opinion, there is absolutely no need to "fear" Mesquite with the KBQ.
    -
    -Click image for larger version  Name:	Seared First.jpg Views:	1 Size:	252.4 KB ID:	346897

Okay...
    So before they go into the KBQ, I cut them into individual ribs, and then sear on my Weber first to add more flavor.
    Then I Spritz the ribs well just before the rub, and after a 30 minute rest, into the smoke.
    After they are smoking, I go in and spritz them again in 45 minutes.
    This every 45 minute spritz goes on until they reach an average temperature of about 150°F internal.
    At that point, I then spritz every 30 minutes until they reach an average of about 175°F internal.
    Finally, following Aaron's advice to spritz beef short ribs often near the end of the smoke, I spritz thoroughly every 10 to 15 minutes from 175°F on until they probe tender at around 200°F to 208°F.
    -
    Some areas will simply not probe tender and I do not know why this is, but when the probe breaks through the silver-skin on the bone side easily, I call that rib done and pull it to rest.
    -
    The following is more of what I do when smoking these "fatty-brisket-on-a-stick" beef ribs...
    Keep the bones down, meat up.
    Keep them away from the back side of the racks next to the manifold, and closer to the door side of the cook chamber.
    If you don't you may have the meat located in a hot and heavy smoke spot, which tends to darken and dry the meat.
    Add a water pan in the very bottom on the floor of the cook chamber.
    Add a full sized stainless steel steam table pan that is one inch deep as a drip pan.
    It catches most all of the dripping oil and dripping spritz.
    Slide it into the 2nd slot from the bottom, and empty it as soon as it gets about half full of oil.
    (After about two or three hours, I dump the oil in mine into a plastic 5-gallon bucket)
    After it is empty, add water to almost half full.
    This helps to keep the smoking chamber very moist.
    -
    After I pull them, I rest the meat at about 100°F to 110°F for about a half hour and then we enjoy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ribs.jpg Views:	1 Size:	227.4 KB ID:	346898
    Smoke On!
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; July 13, 2017, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the details!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Great write up Bill! Very detailed. I have never spritzed my stuff, I might have to try that. Your holding times are intriguing, only a half hour?

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Spinaker.
      I forgot an important step so I edited the above post, adding it w/photos.
      After "single rib" cutting, there is not enough meat to consider much of a rest in my opinion.
      Am thinking that a long rest redistributes moisture in a larger cut of meat but doesn't help a small cut much?
      Last edited by BBQ_Bill; July 13, 2017, 10:25 PM. Reason: OOPS! Forgot an important step in my beef rib details.

Hey hogdog6 seeing as how I cannot post photos in comments, I will continue with my current SV experiment here.
    (You know the drill... No photos, it did not happen)
    -
    Okay, what I have is four Cross Rib Roasts (Chuck Roast was not on sale hogdog6 so I went with these).
    They were vacuum bagged tightly and put into the SV bath at 135°F last night.
    This is now the second cook with this new 800 Watt Anova unit.
    -
    We are in for a long cook here at 48 hours in my favorite SS Chili pot.
    No seasoning nor salt was added, just fresh beef in vacuum freezer bags placed into the "Magic Bath" as I read it was called.
    -
    I plan to cold shock them in salted ice water upon pulling them from the SV due to wanting them to cool down very rapidly.
    PLUS, am NOT wanting anything hot going into my cold storage fridge and warming up my wet aging beef ribs and beef brisket.
    So... the plan is to then shock these four bagged roasts into cold submission, and following that, to store them at 32°F overnight.
    -
    I can see that I need to get up early Monday morning and fire up the Weber and the KBQ.
    Next will be to remove them from the vacuum bags, and then sear two of the four as an experiment within an experiment.
    Because of the larger grilling area, I will go with Kingsford Coals in the Weber for this sear.
    -
    I am thinking that because it works so well, I will follow the sear with the same spritz and rub I use on brisket.
    With two seared and all four, spritzed and rubbed, it is now time to chill and rest them for one hour in the deep freeze.
    After a cold timeout, into the smoke they go!
    Yup, a hot and smokin' KBQ SET at a 225°F average.
    With 4 probes installed, we will be watching for 140°F internal.
    -
    Hmmm... interesting that this experimental cook for two of the four roasts when done will be Hot, Cold, Hot, Cold, Hot.
    Which is, SV, Cold shock + fridge, Sear, Freezer, Smoke.
    -
    My wife and buddy Mike will take over once they are in the smoke, adding wood and spritzing until they hit 140°F.
    I SHOULD be able to come home to a wonderful lunch around noon on Monday if all goes according to plan.
    -
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Roasts in the SV.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	351069

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a combination of time and temp, not strictly temp. With the SV approach, less energy continues to be pumped into the food for a longer time - sort of a multiplicative effect.

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      Best-laid plans of mice and men...
      I am going to put a pause into this experiment and at the 48 hour mark, rapidly chill these 4 in salted ice water, and then hold them in the 32°F fridge until next weekend.

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      They are pasteurized and sealed, so they will be fine per Sous Vide safety posted at:

-
      BTW, this is a GREAT read!

My wife's sister Kathy was visiting us from their home state of Indiana.
    Well... my wife Linda, was bragging up my Beef Ribs so I naturally had to smoke some before Kathy went back home.

Picked up the 4-rib cryovac pack which is 8 total rib pieces (NAMP 130) and used my good old Weber kettle to sear them.
    (Cannot find my KBQ Sear Top and am hoping that the Stainless Steel thief did not get it with my KBQ door and other stuff)
    -
    As a note...
    Brisket ALWAYS goes on my Super Sear Station but ribs sear great on the kettle using Kingsford plus Mesquite kindling.
    (BTW... I LUV my new Kindling Cracker, ESPECIALLY AFTER I removed the paint from the splitting wedge)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sweet One!.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	581725

Okay, to start off this cook...
    I rinsed and then trimmed the eight ribs up, cut them into individual rib pieces, and then seared them on 3 sides.
    Next they were spritzed (to make the rub stick) and rubbed with 3 items only:
    Kosher Salt
    Fresh Cracked and Sized Medley Peppercorn (Sized to 1/16")
    Garlic Flakes
    (Note that the physical size of each of the rubs items seems to matter to Aaron Franklin, so I just go with that)
    Something to do with the rough surface "catching" more smoke than a smooth surface does?
    After the sear and rub, these eight rib pieces went into a pre-heated to 235°F Mesquite fired KBQ.
    The smaller, thin ones cooked to doneness perfection in 5 hours and 15 minutes.
    The larger thicker ribs needed to go longer with the largest and thickest one finishing at 7-1/2 hours.
    -
    The standard "eaters" proclaimed these to be the "very best beef ribs ever" so I just went with that and posted this cook.
    These ribs were judged by the 5-fold test we use for beef ribs and beef brisket.
    1) Bark better than the best jerky with explosive flavor?
    2) Doneness
    3) Smoky flavor without the bad "Mr.Hyde" type of creosote
    4) Moistness
    5) Beefy Flavor
    -
    Here are some photos I took.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.36 MB ID:	581723Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	451.7 KB ID:	581720Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	581722

Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	581724Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	581721Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	581726

I ran the poppets according to my latest discovery for better flavor, which is full bottom, with a closed top after each wood add... but then to boost that smoky flavor, fairly quickly I switch up and open the top poppet fully, and close the bottom one.
    This is done while watching/monitoring the smoke volume as well as the smoke color from the exhaust.
    If the exhaust gets too smoky/thick, I fully close the top poppet and open the bottom poppet fully just until it settles down a bit. Then, right back to top poppet smoke only.
    -
    As you can see by the bottom photo of the KBQ fans, this method produces a clean smoke (Dr.Jeckle creosote) as witnessed by the fan blades.
    I feel that this new poppet control method mimics the extreme control that a true pitmaster would have over his or her offset.
    You get a clean smoke and fuller flavor without the black sooty smoke that comes from poor fire management, giving you Mr. Hyde creosote.
    -
    Smoke On!
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 11, 2018, 10:19 AM. Reason: Clarify that there can be good creosote or bad creosote on smoked meats

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      You, Sir, are an Artiste!

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      You my friend are a kind fellow. Thanks!
      BTW... the reason I PRE-CUT these is so that I can sear them on 3 sides instead of 1, plus, the eaters get more bark and with heavy spritz, they don't dry out. So, moist AND barky!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh no, it's "Blasphemy Beef Ribs"! mgaretz !

Wow! You are right EdF
    Thanks as I just went and read that post.
    Don't think I've ever really mentioned why I do beef ribs this way here in The Pit, but right from the beginning, it seemed to make sense that you get more surface flavor from the sear as well as more bark if you pre-cut rather than cook the whole rack and post-cut.
    -
    Now I DO have to admit, the photos of that fresh cut rib after the cook shows off the smoke ring, but then again, according to Dr Blonder, that smoke ring is purely cosmetic, with no increased flavor whatsoever.
    BUT, looks are important too!
    Personally, I just LUV the way the rub, smoke, juices and spritz blend into a "Candy-Like" surface on the meat.
    I tried to show that attribute in a close-up.

Comment

Okay, here is the update from a VERY successful Pork Country Style "Rib" Cook/Smoke. (Actually Front Shoulder)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pre Marinade.jpg Views:	1 Size:	308.1 KB ID:	652659 Pre-Marinade

Click image for larger version  Name:	Post Marinade.jpg Views:	1 Size:	697.5 KB ID:	652660 Post-Marinade

Click image for larger version  Name:	The Sear.jpg Views:	1 Size:	172.3 KB ID:	652666 The Coal and Mesquite Sear in my Weber Kettle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Coming Along Nicely.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.46 MB ID:	652661 Coming Along Nicely in the KBQ.

Click image for larger version  Name:	165 I.T..jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.71 MB ID:	652662 165°F, ABSOLUTELY Delicious "Pork on a Fork" (But Still a Bit Tough)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	997.9 KB ID:	652668
      Love at First Bite, and Any Fat Totally Dissolved in my Mouth!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Temp Hold.jpg Views:	1 Size:	513.4 KB ID:	652663 Bowls Full of Pork "Candy"

Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	652669 LOTS of Love Here!
      -
      At about 192°F to 197°F I.T. the fat had rendered into some sort of luscious substance that dissolved immediately as chewed.
      I actually ate a fair amount of fat where I have always been a bit of a "spit it out" guy, but not THIS fat!
      It was so light and amazing it just went into a moist flavorful mix with the meat as I chewed it.
      -
      Was not really much of a pork fan until now!
      My #1 "taster" Mike took his 1st bite and said "Wow!"
      Took another and there was a stronger "Wow" response!
      With the 3rd bite it was yet another Wow, so I asked what's up Mike?
      He said "Three Wows is what's up!"
      Then he said... "If it were possible, this may just be better than your beef ribs."
      -
      Bottom Line:
      You guys were right!
      The KBQ ROCKS PORK!
      Last edited by BBQ_Bill; March 19, 2019, 10:35 PM. Reason: Some photos were not there for some viewers, while others saw them just fine. Re-Posted.

Comment

• pitchfork_man
        pitchfork_man commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks perfect!

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotcha man. Gotta be a glitch in the system. Posted again and then on the 3rd time it was the charm? I hope! (Please let me know) Thanks!

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry I’m late to the party...these look like the came out great!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here