Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinaker man I love cherry wood but it comes at a premium price in Texas. Literally double the price of hickory

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I would imagine. It does not grow a lot in MN, I think we are a bit too far north. But they have it in Iowa and I haul some up from my Uncle’s farm.

You Bastids are reeling me in. I’m about page 60 of this thread, w visions of buying a KBQ just as soon as we finish our garage Reno...and then I see someone on the pit is selling a used C-60. Now, normally this would have no effect on me bc The Pit is Yuge and spread all over this vast land...it’s 70 miles from me. I mean...the odds I don’t get it are pretty frickin’ slim.

So, I’m now looking at Craigslist to source wood. LOL. Let me ask you this: is $200 for a cord overpaying? I have no clue. Seems like it might be an ok price but I’ve never bought wood before.

Q2: Roughly, and I know there are hundreds of variable, but roughly speaking how many hours on the KBQ will a cord last? Stacked that’s approx 4’x4’x8’

Your Future Brother in Wood Smoke

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Prices are regional. If wood is plentiful and close it is cheaper than hard to find and far away. That said, I think $200 for a cord is reasonable. As for how long it will last, depends on how often you smoke. A cord will last you a lot of smokes, I use about a milk crate or two of wood when I cook. (Pro tip: have about three milk crates cut and ready before you cook)

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb thanks! Visualizing 3 milk crates helps a lot.

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      I use Home Depot buckets 2 full usually is enough but definitely follow the pro tip.

JCBBQ I will offer my opinion, but others know more than me. 1 cord will last you a couple of years, unless you plan to smoke a couple of times a day! And in Seattle, a delivered cord of hardwood is closer to $350. Be sure you don’t buy conifer (softwood).

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I made my trip to Quilcene this weekend, got out late on Sunday and made the pass just before they closed. However I will return. Rain check! ;-)

Dr. Pepper Ill definitely get hardwoods.

From my quick perusal of guys on Craigslist, it seems oak, cherry, maple and hickory are readily available. I know oak and cherry are good, what are folks’ thoughts about hickory and maple?

Comment

• KBQ
      KBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      This may be helpful
      Heat Content – measures the embodied energy.  Higher is better. Sparks Produced – self-explanatory.  “Few” indicates low pitch content. Heavy Smoke – measures the thickness of smoke upon heating.  “No” is best. Coaling Quality – measures propensity to form durable coals.  We want “Excellent.”

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      KBQ that is fantastic! Thanks 🙏

Click image for larger version

Name:	33083F5F-1FD2-4536-98E8-C497DBD00150.jpeg
Views:	598
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	997027 Well KBQers, in case you missed it, I joined the club.

KBQ!!! Years ago I was jonesing for a stick burner. LSG to be precise. But for one reason or another I didn’t pull the trigger. Recently we started a rebuild of our garage and full back yard renovation. I felt a new cooker for the new back yard was only fair. I love my Primo so I was thinking about going all in w a Komodo

Quick question, it seems I’ll have a little time before I get to use it, so I thought I’d do some cleaning.

What’re your go to methods for cleaning this?

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      A tooth brush

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      I use some paper towels and distilled vinegar. Dampen a towel with vinegar and dab/wet the surface of a few square inches at a time. Wait 15 seconds or so and it usually wipes off pretty easily.
      I use a qtip dipped in vinegar to clean the temp sensor inside the spring.
      I do remove the fans and will more heavily wet them since you're not worried about harming bearings when removed.
      Last edited by Histrix; March 1, 2021, 07:51 PM. Reason: mention that I do remove the fans when cleaning

Originally posted by JCBBQ View Post
    Click image for larger version  Name:	33083F5F-1FD2-4536-98E8-C497DBD00150.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.65 MB ID:	997027 Well KBQers, in case you missed it, I joined the club.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ly-i-grabbed-a

Quick question, it seems I’ll have a little time before I get to use it, so I thought I’d do some cleaning.

I use a nylon brush. Use NO liquid cleaners of any kind so the fan bearings are not harmed. The fan blades may be removed but I usually do not bother.
    Last edited by lostclusters; February 28, 2021, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I too remove the fans then spray them with oven cleaner and let them soak over night. Then just run them under hot water and screw them back.

Comment

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        I too remove them, soak in a citrus cleaner rinse and good to go.

I already threw this up on the SUWYC thread, but we all know if belongs here for the KBQ cooking log. After more than 5 years.....ZERO issues and I still enjoy cooking with it every time. The KBQ still makes the best BBQ I have made.
      ​

Comment

• lostclusters
        lostclusters commented
        Editing a comment
        hogdog6 what were your poppet settings, and what wood did you use?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I use the poppets open on top for the first two hours, then I close them. Typically, I like to use Cherry and oak. lostclusters

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        lostclusters I use oak for almost all my cooks now. I'm fortunate enough to live near an area with a lot of fruit growers and I've tried many fruit woods, I've found that I cannot taste any difference between cherry, apple, or peach also I've found they're a little light on flavor for my taste and mesquite is too strong.
        For me oak just tastes right
        The top poppet I keep closed every time I add a log until the ugly smoke calms down then it's wide open until the next one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	765DEAA7-ECCE-42E0-AD50-40248582438A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.25 MB ID:	998559
      Originally posted by JCBBQ View Post
      Click image for larger version  Name:	33083F5F-1FD2-4536-98E8-C497DBD00150.jpeg Views:	63 Size:	3.65 MB ID:	997027 Well KBQers, in case you missed it, I joined the club.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ly-i-grabbed-a

My adopted child cleans up good. Thanks for all the tips.

Last edited by JCBBQ; March 3, 2021, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Already posted this in the SUWYC thread. But I gotta double dip when it comes to the KBQ and brisket tacos are the best.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	4BA68E00-2DA3-4371-A960-8087240CCC66.jpeg
Views:	438
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	1023546

Comment

• jhoskins
          jhoskins commented
          Editing a comment
          That is gorgeous

Hello, my name is TJ. I am a BBQ addict!!

Usually when you say that you are somewhere looking for help to kick the habit. Not today! Looking for help to make it more of a habit! Graduating from my UDS to a KBQ! Juat had a load of oak delivered. Now I need to run to the store to load up on meat!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome! Lot's of us here to help if needed. And, Bill Karue is also very willing to help.

Bourbon BBQ, and garlic parm wings for the inaugural run!

Ran the fan maxed out the whole time (300-315), but I would have liked a few more degrees to crisp the skin a little more. Going to make my wood chunks smaller, and see if it will burn hotter next time.
        Attached Files

Comment

You should be able to. I ran it maxed out and got up to 450. Spinaker said he gets even higher. He said focus on the bed of coals covering all the holes in the firebox.

Comment

😂 I tuned in to this thread and started reading. Never noticed there’s a 108 pages to it! Maybe some day…

Comment

Has anyone installed a probe grommet?
              Attached Files

Comment

• Histrix
                Histrix commented
                Editing a comment
                This is what I did to mine as my probes would not fit any of the existing holes: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...205#post280205

• Dr. Pepper
                Dr. Pepper commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with lostclusters I have no problem routing the braided metal cables around the upper corners, and still closing the door.

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                You won't need it. The space around the door by the corner is sufficient to accommodate wires

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here