Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice day got out the KBQ today. It's been too long.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	A3B1BA80-4F14-4A4B-B039-18BFB13A0EFF.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	787.6 KB ID:	806442
    Click image for larger version  Name:	E06C77D8-6505-4EFE-B7A2-83AA8266D24C.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	806443
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1C7338E0-D62F-43CA-A5D6-937DFB07A986.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	806444
    Last edited by hogdog6; February 23, 2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• Adventures
      Adventures commented
      Editing a comment
      Does the KBQ come with holes to feed temperature probes through?

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Adventures it does not however I have a FireBoard and I purchased a pit temp probe that I had to drill a small hole to install. It works great. For meat temp there is enough room in the top corners of the door to feed in probes.

There is that awesome KBQ/Mountain pics that you are famous for! You know I love those!

That chuck looks great too. I was meaning to get mine out again too, I have not cooked on it in over a month! That has got to be some kind of a crime.......right?

Comment

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Criminal for sure. Haha

BBQ_Bill wishing you all the best!!!!! Keep us updated

Comment

Had to fire up a KBQ
      ​​​​
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200327_190618 (1).jpg
Views:	1090
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	821718

Comment

• lostclusters
        lostclusters commented
        Editing a comment
        What are your poppet settings these days?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, I love that KBQ color!

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        lostclusters haven't changed approach since day one. First hour when meat is cold, both poppers wide open. Second hour, top poppet closed.

Ok, so I know its not the best picture or the time of year for turkey but I crave good smoked turkey a few times a year. This is my first KBQ turkey and I am loving the color and the crispy skin the KBQ produces. I just used a little Oakridge Secret Weapon and let the KBQ do its thing.

Also put on some pork belly on the KBQ for the first time as well. Turned out great. Each time I make bacon I am always amazed at how great it is using Meadhead’s recipe and the curing calculator. I am watching my carbs so for the first time I didn't include any sugar with the cure and it turned out just fine without it. That curing calculator is one of the best things on this site in my opinion. Thanks for all the hard work that went into creating it!
      Attached Files

Comment

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks fantastic. I just started doing Meatheads bacon too and I now cannot imagine buying store brand again

• lostclusters
        lostclusters commented
        Editing a comment
        What temp did you use for that Turkey and what were your poppet setting?

• SmokeyNate
        SmokeyNate commented
        Editing a comment
        My temps ran around 290 - 325 or so for about 4 hours. I bumped it up as high as it would go for the last 15-20 minutes. Bottom poppet was fully open and the top was about half the whole time. I probably could have left the top open as well and have been fine. lostclusters

Congrats! I’ve had mine for 18 months now and love it. About the only downside I would have to say about it is that it takes constant tending. Beer makes the tending much more enjoyable though!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, but that is the fun part!

• SmokeyNate
        SmokeyNate commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, exactly! I would mow that lawn but I gotta tend the smoker!

You think KBQ needs tending? Try the earthly regular offset. You have to keep an eye on the temp, tend to the fire, make sure smoke is clean.
      KBQ, You just throw a log on and walk away
      Last edited by Ernest; April 14, 2020, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        True story!

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        The truth will set you a little more free!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, True Dat!

I took off from getting the boat ready to smoke two racks of ribs Sunday afternoon.

Name:	IMG_0362.JPG
Views:	875
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	852482

Comment

I planned on smoking last week but I haven't been in backyard since I killed a snake last week. HEY don't judge me hahaha

Name:	IMG_20200613_104534.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	861769Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200613_181516.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	861770

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are the largest snake ribs I ever saw. I guess it's true, everything is bigger in Texas!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like you made up for lost time there!

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          ComfortablyNumb hahaha

Name:	CB5FD3C0-57D6-421E-B5AF-CC89F0559267.jpeg
Views:	851
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	862053

Name:	349DD881-4359-486F-A875-13D31FC4C7D0.jpeg
Views:	817
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	862054

Name:	E8D8B739-D362-4866-AC1C-B7800F7FB4B4.jpeg
Views:	820
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	862055
        My KBQ and PBC had to battle it out to see who was the winner pit for my 1st competition next week.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          The one that was a little redder?

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m betting the one on the right, in the second pic, was the PBC. It has the one end that looks like it was close to the coals.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you called it, Red Man !

Have another Comp coming up next month. Did some practice ribs yesterday. I'm feeling pretty good about them.
        I hope the judges like the KBQ smoke profile as much as me and the neighborhood tasters do. 🤞.
        It's so fun to cook on.
        We wanted to do backyard again but this comp wasn't doing backyard so we're signed up for pro.
        Gotta practice brisket again soon.
        The box was just a sample test and wouldn't qualify but that's all I had for this cook.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	1FE618C5-9CFA-4F60-8ED9-54368C362B63.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	881332
        Click image for larger version  Name:	44E728F7-DDC6-4474-BE35-5C0F2E9AA205.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	853.4 KB ID:	881331
        Click image for larger version  Name:	2B65683E-EC9C-42AF-8B74-493B3916F443.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	942.7 KB ID:	881333

Last edited by hogdog6; July 15, 2020, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          Nice! We're on a burn ban, so the KBQ and PK360 are in hiatus until fall.

As soon as I can find a cheap source of wood I am going to get one. I would hate to buy it and not be able to afford to run it. All the pictures look fantastic.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          Check Craigslist or Facebook for firewood, free wood, or by what type you are looking for. Contact tree companies and any local orchards.

What do you think of almond wood? Might be a dumb question, but how long can you store the wood before it becomes too old or dry to use? Any type of wood that you would not recommend? Thanks

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          Hardwoods, not softwoods. Oak, hickory, maple, and pretty much any fruit wood. Googled almond, says it is similar to pecan. I'd use it. More important than time is how. Keep it off the ground, keep it covered, but not smothered. Start with a half or full cord, see how long it takes to go through it.

• Ronaldf123
          Ronaldf123 commented
          Editing a comment
          ComfortablyNumb thanks for your help and suggestions

Has anybody ever made beef jerky on this KBQ

Comment

Had a hankering for some beef shorties later in the day yesterday. Got these on at 3:30, decided to experiment with more of a hot & fast... 285ish. Oak and pecan wood. Just spritzed a few times with apple juice and woos, probe tender at 202, 7:15pm. Wrapped in pink butcher paper and rested in cooler for 30 minutes. Came out amazing!
          Attached Files

Comment

• SmokeyNate
            SmokeyNate commented
            Editing a comment
            Those look awesome!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here