Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone asking for duck now LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	duck.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	774683

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter an obscene amount of fresh cracked pepper medley. Pecan and hickory wood.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest You're doing your ducks in the KBQ, correct? Where can I find the hooks for hanging, and approximately how long does it take to finish a couple of ducks? (Helps with planning the meal. BTW, if you ever want a disciple, I would ask my wife for permission to sleep at the foot of your KBQ as an apprentice. For a while.)

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper got the hooks on the PBC site. Plan for 90 minutes at max temp. They're typically done in 60 minutes. If done early, drop your KBQ temp to 150. Acts as a cambro hot box until you're ready to serve.
      Last edited by Ernest; December 1, 2019, 07:15 PM.

I saw from your previous duck post that you run maxed out. What are your finishing duck temps?

Comment

lostclusters run max start to finish .

Comment

Thanksgiving's cook was Pork Butt and Smoked Baked Potatoes.

Pork Butt was 9.19 lbs. before trimming. Injected and used the rub from Post #1515.
        put in the refrigerator over night.

Frigate’s Pork Injection Ver. 2.0
        1 3/4 cups of apple juice
        3 tablespoons of brown sugar
        ½ cup Butcher’s BBQ Pork Injection Powder
        ¼ cup Butcher’s Phosphate
        ¼ teaspoon Xanthan Gum
        Thoroughly whisk all ingredients together in medium bowl.

Cooked the butt at 275 degrees for 7.75 hours to get to 203 degrees. No stall but a slow down in temperature raise between 160 to 203 degrees. Used cherry wood, 8" splits from Smoak Firewood LLC. I am sitting on a large amount of cherry wood but the project will not get started till the spring. Part of our deal is the cherry trees I mark will be cut into 4 ft. logs and loaded into my pickup. There will many loads.

Potatoes, six large baking potatoes. Washed and dried. Vented both sides of potatoes with fork. Melted 1/2 stick of unsalted butter. Added 1 1/2 tablespoons of rub. Painted the potatoes with butter and rub. Into the smoker for 3 3/4 hours at 275 degrees.

All came out great.

Name:	IMG_0313.JPG
Views:	767
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	774788

Name:	IMG_0316.JPG
Views:	735
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	774789

Comment

I only occasionally inspired by pics or videos because food depends on smell and taste. When I find good bbq, I talk to the cook! Bark can be great but smoke flavor is better. I'd be interested to hear how KBQ smoke favor compares to PCB. The best smoke flavor I've tasted comes from wood fires, not wood pellets or other shortcuts. I'm looking forward to the review of weber's pellet grill as a smoker.

Comment

• frigate
            frigate commented
            Editing a comment
            A year ago when I got into smoking meat. I bought a COS, in case I found I didn't like it. With the COS I found the smoke flavor overwhelmed the meat flavor. With the KBQ the smoker flavor complements the meat flavor. I will not own or use a pellet pooper. One does not know what is in the oils they put the pellets. Think of the problems with oils going into vaping.

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            The bark developed by the KBQ on beef is beyond anything my family and friends have ever tasted, period. The flavor grows into a savory explosion in the eaters mouth, and is absolutely better than the best beef jerky I can find, even after my obsession to find the best whether beef or elk.
            The smoke is a light compliment, not heavy nor overpowering the beef flavor. Aaron Franklin describes the smoke flavor on his brisket as light and pleasing, and his following is incredible.

Rbar KBQ smoke flavor is more floral. PBC is in your face smoke smoke.

Comment

Salt pepper 225 KBQ.

Name:	Shorties.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	776254Click image for larger version

Name:	beef nuggets.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	776255

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Unreal. Looks fantastic.

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            I need to develop that shade in lipstick for my wife. And flavored.

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Craigar Put ya meat in the freezer while you prep your pit

Ernest giving up one of his secret methods! Thanks ;-)

Comment

JGrana LOL no secret . I've mentioned that tip a bunch.
            ​​​​

Comment

I think most folks still bring meat to "room temperature" before smoking.
              Cold meat, heavy smoke ring
              Room temperature meat, weak smoke ring.
              But then again, smoke ring doesn't add any flavor to end product

Comment

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ernest you've shared the freezer tip in the past and I've used it ever since. It does add to the beautiful smoke produced by a KBQ. And I thank you!

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Lots of husbandstales out there. Room temp meat is one of them. Clean fire helps too, KBQ is king of that.

Smoked sous vide smoked brisket. Best brisket I have ever made...... YET!!
              Smoke, bag, 155 degrees hot tub time machine for 24 hours. Chill. Smoke again before feast.

Name:	IMG_20191205_145913.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	776681Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191205_191247.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	776682Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191205_192301.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	776683Click image for larger version

Name:	Briskey.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	776684

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                Dr. Pepper commented
                Editing a comment
                Gorgeous! And, you separate your point and flat, verdad? Also, if you don't mind: How long or to what IT did you first smoke? And, for the sake of dinner planning, how long did it take you for the final smoke? It sure seems to solve the problem of getting out of bed at 4 am in order to finish a big brisket smoke in time to hold and rest for a 19:00 dinner.
                Last edited by Dr. Pepper; December 7, 2019, 03:55 PM.

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Dr. Pepper it solves the problem of dry brisket and timing. First smoke about 3 hours. I just went by color. Final smoke is basically just reheating and maybe extra
                color? Took about 3 to come up to 140. Then I dropped the temp to 160 for holding until ready to serve. I don't separate the flat from point

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Just call it QVQ

Hello.. do you think 24 hours sv was adequate?? Some of the recipes go 30-36 ??? thanks

Comment

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                When I've qvq'd brisket I SV for 48 hrs. 24 is not very long. But that brisket sure does look fantastic

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                I've done 36, 48 etc. 24 is the sweet spot. Probe tender, great texture.

Remember mine had already been cooking for about 4 hours before immediately getting into a 155 hot tub time machine for 24 hours.

Comment

Verdict is in.... Best brisket they've ever had......
                And they don't even know that I cheated hahaha

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol

Waiting for my second unit. Bill ran out LOL

Comment

• lostclusters
                  lostclusters commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Second unit! OMG!

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep patiently waiting for the Call. I'm 30 minutes away from Bill. LOL

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here