Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ_Bill You talking about these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoulder steaks.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	767056

Name:	pork steaks 2.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	767057

Name:	smoke 1.JPG
Views:	759
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	767058

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      Your photos are ALWAYS eye candy my friend!
      --
      A Texas BBQ resteraunt owner stated that he struggled to render the fat and not dry out the meat, but finally got his process down and couldn't be happier with the current results.
      I am leaning towards 2" thick cuts after extensive reading. Any hints on KBQ technique would be greatly appreciated.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      BBQ_Bill I've never had any issue with drying out and I've done these more than I can remember. I get them at Costco.
      No tricks, just run it at 225, no higher than 235. I take them off at around 170. But you can start testing for texture at 160. I wouldn't take them to 200.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Good lord man.

If Texas Swing were KBQ, Bob Wills would be Ernest

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha!! Man!!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that's a good one !!!! And let me add he would be KING as well.

BBQ_Bill by the way, I filled at KBQ plus 2 extra shelves with those cuts, cubed some, shredded some and was part of a 200 PLUS July 4th crowd. They got pissed off when I ran out in about 5 minutes. HAHAHA

Comment

Understood Ernest
      In looking at Brett’s Barbecue Shop in Katy, Texas, I found a Houston Chronicle post where Brett, this BBQ Pitmaster stated that he struggled with this exact pork steak cut while trying to get it right.
      At the end of this post Pitmaster Brett Jackson clearly lays out his problem, and then states he succeeded in overcoming this problem, but sadly for me... does not explain HOW he got it right.
      -
      His statement is: "It’s been a little challenge to figure out how to get the fat to fully break down and not dry out the meat," says Jackson, "but the last two smokes I have solidified my method and couldn’t be more happy with the outcome."
      -
      So, is there anyone here that has had this same problem and and has the answer to it?
      -
      To read this online post, click: HERE
      Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 11, 2019, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Cooked ribs yesterday without wrapping. Cranked back the starting time knowing the cook would be longer without wrapping. Should have cranked the starting time back a little more but not a big problem. When the rib internal temperature got to 150 degrees F, I took the trimmings off the cooker. Being thin they came out good and had a mid-afternoon snack. The picture does not do the bark justice. The Admiral said the ribs were good but she liked the sweetness the ribs got from wrapping with the Parkay, honey and brown sugar better. I have an idea to help with the sweetness without wrapping. The next cook will be a pork butt in two weeks.

Name:	IMG_0311.JPG
Views:	714
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	767848

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look downright edible! Welcome to the "No-Wrap Ribs Club!"

I am thinking about smoking some turkey legs on the KBQ this Friday. What temperature would you suggest for these? I am thinking of cooking them around 275 and cranking it up to max for the last 10 minutes or so.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I like to let it cook at 350 F, then crank it all the way up for the last 15 mins or so. Get those babies crispy.

Monday Que.....

Name:	KBQ BEEF.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	770629Click image for larger version

Name:	Board.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	770630Click image for larger version

Name:	medieval ribs.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	770631

Comment

Just salt, pepper, oak wood at 215-225 degrees range.

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            hogdog6 cook by probe tender not internal tempo. Quality of beef varies so internal temp is misleading. Prime can be tender at 180. Choice might need 200 etc

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            That is the way I went. Probe tender ended up at 190*... Thanks

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            I remove the thicker membrane, but find that the 2nd membrane (thinner one) is my "friend".
            The probe when it goes thru it feels softer when done.
            Also, higher temps render the fat better for me but I have to guard against sizzling too.

Sunday KBQ session
          Hanging duck KBQ maxed out

Name:	KBQ duck.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	770635Click image for larger version

Name:	Meat board.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	770636

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I still think these are two of your best pix yet E

I just took delivery of what is now my second go around with the KBQ. Upon unpacking I was reminded of how impressed I am with this smoker. From an engineering standpoint the thing is an industrial work of art. Having worked in manufacturing my whole career I fully appreciate the design and build quality. The KBQ is robust, simple and effective. These are all the highest praises I can give for a tool such as this.

There have been a few tweaks that I notice from my last model. It is good to see slight revisions having been made. I also noticed some small tolerance/clearance changes. Hard stops on the temperature control and a hardware change has also been made to the control box.

I am looking forward to firing this thing up over the weekend. Luckily my learning curve should be low as I did own one before.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Congratulations! We can't wait to see the pics of your new KBQ!

Salt and pepper KBQed lamb shanks. 215-225 degrees until done

Name:	IMG_20191124_100011.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	772663Click image for larger version

Name:	shanked.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	772664

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            ComfortablyNumb That ‘sheepish’ line was so baaaad!

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahaha

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope!

Ran some ribs on Friday afternoon that turned out pretty well.

Have had a brisket on dry brine in a vacuum bag since last weekend. The goal was to smoke this on Saturday. Well, Saturday brought rain so Sunday became the day.

Onto the pit with Oakridge Black Ops at 225 it went. Took about 10 hours to achieve a consistent bark with water pan and spritzing. Pulled and wrapped in double paper. Placed in the oven at 250. It felt floppy overall coming off the smoker but the flat didn’t feel soft. The plan was to check for tenderness every 30 mins to start. I did so over the next 1.5 hours without noticing a significant difference in feel. At two hours in the paper had become noticeably saturated which was not where it started at. I opened the package and decided to probe for temp. The flat came in at 210! Ugh, guessing I missed the window and overshot. I am not confident in the feel method yet and or especially with it wrapped. Any additional tips for that would be appreciated.

Pulled, left wrapped and served a couple hours later. Didn’t place in the cooler until it was down to where I could handle with my fingers. Upon serving I was disappointed as expected. It was certainly overdone. This should be controllable. The last bit shocked me in that there was a large pocket of fat in the point that hadn’t rendered much. I kept it low at 225 in hopes that I could keep the surface from sizzling. I now wonder if some rendering is a trade off of that versus say 275.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
          Attached Files

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            goskers
            Gimme a call.
            My cell number is in a PM to you.
            Learned some new stuff from Aaron Franklin.

goskers there's a fat piece by the point that never renders out. You just have to cut off leaving you with a hole.
          It's hard to go by feel especially the flat. Go by probe

Comment

Ran the KBQ to the ground the past few days days LOL

Name:	IMG_20191128_144533_540.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	774196Click image for larger version

Name:	smoked turkey.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	774197

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Texture is on point!

Holy delicious!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here