Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go naked all the way next time frigate

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree. You'll get a prettier color, bark, more umami if you don't wrap those.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      All day, erry day!

• frigate
      frigate commented
      Editing a comment
      Weather permitting the boat gets hauled Friday morning. Saturday or Sunday we will winterize it. Then it is BBQ on weekends till spring. First I'll try ribs as has been suggested here.

After reading about and thinking about the Karubecue C-60 for a few years, I discovered this thread. I started reading it Sunday night. After reading about ten pages I placed my order. The following morning, I had an email order confirmation and a projected delivery date of today, Wednesday. I need to give some thought to my first cooks, even though I’m not confident that it will arrive today.

It’s likely that Marcia will like a spatchcocked chicken or beef ribs. That may help her recover from the sticker shock. What’s your recommendation for temperature and wood choices for them? (I’m reading page 55 of this thread but jumped to the end to post this. I wish I had taken notes.)

I’m neither an intuitive nor inventive cook, but after six years of smoking on a pellet pit and kamado I’m capable of following a well-written recipe, so S×S instructions are welcome. You know; rub, rest in refrigerator, wood selection, suggested pit and internal temperatures and like that.

I wish that we had a C-60 Cookbook.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      This thread is all the cookbook you will need!

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      pmillen. I don't know if this will help, but on the MacBook in 'Notes' I made a meat cooking folder. Under that I have subfolders for brisket, lamb, beef ribs, etc. I cut and paste from Amazing Ribs as I see something I want to be able to recall/find later. I include who posted it, and when in the note. Before I smoked our brisket last week, I reviewed my long 'Brisket' notes, including various different approaches, etc. Daniel

pmillen
    If you are going to be doing chicken. I would salt that baby up the night before, then place it on a wire rack in the fridge. Then right before cooking, throw on some Simon & Garfunkel Rub. I like to run the KBQ wide open when when I am doing chicken, and place it on the center rack with a water pan in the bottom of the KBQ. I usually use oak and cherry in my KBQ. I will take the spatchcocked bird off when the internal temp hits 160 F in the breast and/or180 F in the thighs. This high temp will give you great crispy skin and a moist product on the inside.

For beef ribs, I like to use a simple 50/50 salt and pepper rub. Trim them up well, take almost all of the surface fat off those babies and then salt them up the night before. For a temp on beef ribs, I try to shoot for 202 F, cooking at 250 F or so. Cook them just like you would a brisket, with a solid 2-hour hold in a faux cambro after to the cook is complete.

Comment

Spinaker, thanks for the tips. On the beef ribs; cook at 250°F and pull when probing soft?

BTW, I'm from Perham & Moorhead with NoDak stops before Omaha.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, that sounds about right. You should be there at around 200 F, internal temp.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        When probing, the thinner membrane that is still left after pulling the thick one off is "your friend". Starting on the meat side, probe between the bones. It will be soft, very soft and when the probe hits the membrane, if pressing gently, you will feel it hit that membrane. Get the "feel" as it pokes thru. When it pokes thru very lightly, you are done. And I agree with Spinaker in that the IT will be about 200°F or so. Go by feel and look at fat render once you cut.

It took me 3 or 4 evenings, but I just finished reading this entire thread - it was a great read and picked up tons of useful information along the way. Thank you.

I picked up a used KBQ from another forum member about a week ago and I already have one cook under the belt. I did 4 racks of ribs and a chicken to test it out, and the pit definitely did not disappoint. The smoke flavor was definitely less intense compared to what I am used to with my PBC, but I will experiment with different wood types and poppet settings.
      Speaking of wood, I am still trying to source more wood, particularly cherry, but I have a small stash of apple and red oak. Oak is a dime a dozen in my area, but the fruit woods are more difficult to come by.

For the next cook I've decided to do a brisket - my first ever! I am pretty excited and nervous at the same time. I went to Costco and when I saw that they have Prime packers I just couldn't resist. I wish I was taking notes as I was reading this thread, now I need to go back and re-read certain sections.

Comment

• Devil_Inside
        Devil_Inside commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been checking Craigslist daily, ever since I bought the KBQ, but unfortunately I haven't had much luck so far. There are plenty of listings for firewood, but 99% of them are mixed hardwoods for heating. I thought about reaching out to some local orchards, but the growing season is coming to an end and most of them have already closed for the season. Also, unfortunately we don't have many cherry orchards in my area. I will keep looking though. Thank you!

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Devil_Inside Pruning season is coming up so try reaching out to them anyway.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Orchards prune in winter and spring. If they graft they take it down to at stump. Around here the wood is piled up and burned in the winter. Some will pile by road with a 'free' sign. Even if orchard is closed for selling fruit, someone is there. If cherry is sparse, reach out to an out of area orchard. Make it a road trip to get a pick up load of wood.

Devil_Inside Like @ComfortablyNumb said, in Washington/Oregon, you get the fruit wood from the orchards, and we don't have as much oak. In Hood River I purchased some oak, the native oak (Garry Oak, Oregon White Oak Quercus garryana var. garryana). I have been given wild cherry harvested by mountain bikers constructing trails. The cherry burns very fast, and the oak lasts much longer. For a long smoke in the KBQ, I prefer the oak since I can go 25 minutes between adding fuel. It is much harder to split, with fibers which cross at angles (this is probably why it is so strong for construction!). Currently I am using Alder, which is very plentiful around here.

Also, if you wish, I can share my Brisket notes (gleaned from AR, with lots of BBQ_Bill entries). PM me your email or text message phone if interested.
      ​​​​​​​Daniel

Comment

Great feedback guys, thank you! Dr. Pepper thank you for the kind offer, I will PM you right away.

Comment

Texan Beef Ribs (and SLC Pork)

Did my annual visit to Austin TX to see my mom and brother. He and I always swing by Costco to look for USDA Prime stuff. Normally I grab a big old full packer - but this time my eye wandered to some great looking Prime beef chuck ribs - nice 4 bone plates! Grabbed 2 packages

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191028_183408.jpg
Views:	1109
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	763640

Put them in my brothers freezer over the weekend and into my luggage. Always get pulled a side by TSA. But, all the times I was, I just explain how hard it is to get USDA Prime (Brisket or Beef Ribs) in the Northeast. Then we discuss rubs, woods etc. Gotta love Austin TSA folks.

Trimmed them up and marveled at the quality - some serious meat on those bones ;-)

Name:	20191029_160427.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	763641

On to the trimming, dry brine overnight and BBBR that morning. Started the KBQ around 5:30AM. Was ready to rock and rolls by 6.

Name:	20191030_052351.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	763642

Since my crop of Ghost Peppers were ready, added them to the KBQ along with Himalayan Course salt:

Name:	20191030_053817.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	763643

This years batch of Ghostly Smoked Garlic Salt! A mix of fully ripe, close to ripe and green (which still kick but with regards to heat!!!)

After many hours - beef ribs were nice and thick - I also put on a few racks of SLC Pork Ribs rubbed with MMD.

Have to stock the freezer for the cold months coming.

In the end, the KBQ did it's magic! I started with hickory for a few hours, then started to change over to cherry and apple woods, more for the pork ribs that went on later in the day. Spritzed every 30 mins with a mix of apple juice, water and a few shots of Maggi Wurze for umami. Temps were around 230F to 250F.

Name:	20191030_153146.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	763644

A great dinner for my wife and I - the rest, vacuum sealed and into the freezer.

Name:	20191030_184923.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	763645

Name:	20191030_185124.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	763646

Overall, a long day but success!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          I would try putting some meat in my luggage, but with the last name Lecter it would only be begging for trouble.

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          ComfortablyNumb HAHAHA!! Hey you'll never know until you try

• Ricardo
          Ricardo commented
          Editing a comment
          I would like to learn about your salt and ghost pepper smoking procedure in the KBQ. That looks really interesting and I would love to give it a try.
          Been growing some ghost peppers in my neck of the woods and I’ve been dehydrating them, powder them and sprinkle on food to give it a kick. I generally mix it 10 parts sweet peppers to one part ghost.
          Let me know how you process your ghost after smoking in salt. Do you discard them after they spice the salt?
          Thank you,
          Ricardo

Had that KBQ on blast today ....

Picanha

Name:	Picanha.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	764967Click image for larger version

Name:	wibs 2.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	764968Click image for larger version

Name:	cowboy steak.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	764969Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191103_153848.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	764970

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          Ah, the old grate on top of the firebox trick! :-)

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          You know how to rock the KBQ! 🔥

nice meats

Comment

How about some photos of the sliced picanha & ribeye? They look great!

Comment

Spinnaker, you wrote in post 1502.1 that this thread is all the cookbook I’ll ever need. At the risk of appearing confrontational or ungrateful for the help you’ve provided, I respectfully disagree.

The vast majority of the posts on the 92 pages I’ve read do not include information making it possible to duplicate the cook. They usually amount to a photograph and a caption that translates, "Look at what I cooked." They’re fine for those people who enjoy posting like that and/or reading that kind of post but they’re generally useless to me save for the ideas planted. A post that I find helpful, that adds to my cooking knowledge, includes the–
            • preparation
            • pit temperature
            • wood used
            • and whatever else is important
            I apologize if I seem blunt. I’m rather plain-spoken because I don’t think that people should have to guess at what I mean.

Comment

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              pmillen You can always ask directions for any specific item that you are interested in. I don't mind answering any questions
              Problem is.... I cook by feel. I can't be bothered with recipes LOL!! That's why most of my posts are just photos. My KBQ cooking temps are 225-235 range for any low and slow. And maxed out the knob for birds.Never cook by time. Food is cooked when it's cooked

Originally posted by pmillen View Post
            Spinnaker, you wrote in post 1502.1 that this thread is all the cookbook I’ll ever need. At the risk of appearing confrontational or ungrateful for the help you’ve provided, I respectfully disagree.

The vast majority of the posts on the 92 pages I’ve read do not include information making it possible to duplicate the cook. They usually amount to a photograph and a caption that translates, "Look at what I cooked." They’re fine for those people who enjoy posting like that and/or reading that kind of post but they’re generally useless to me save for the ideas planted. A post that I find helpful, that adds to my cooking knowledge, includes the–
            • preparation
            • pit temperature
            • wood used
            • and whatever else is important
            I apologize if I seem blunt. I’m rather plain-spoken because I don’t think that people should have to guess at what I mean.
            I appreciate your feedback. However, the post you listed was not mine. On post 1525 I thought I did a pretty through job of answering your questions at that time, right below your original comment. If there are additional questions you have, I am happy to answer them for you. I hope you know that we are more than willing to help you out with any questions pertaining to the factors you listed above. I was joking a little bit when I said that this was cookbook. This is not a cookbook, but a reference for interested people. However, what this thread has over any cook book is the ability to interact with those that have made a lot of food on many different cookers, not to mention one that you may be specifically using.

There are a fair amount of posts that are simply "Look what I cooked", yes, of course. That is part of the fun. I would have respectfully disagree with you that this thread usually amounts too, "Look what I cooked."I would say that there are many references about how to make various things with the KBQ, including set up, accessories, wood used, temps, cook times etc. on this thread. Again if there is specific information you are looking for, please ask, we are more than willing to help answer any specific questions you may have, or any questions that I may have accidentally missed.

Keep the smoke rolling!

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              pmillen - Have you met mountainsmoker yet? I'm done here.

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              pmillen - You've not seen the posts frm fzxdoc, Troutman, Spinaker, Richard Crz, etc,?: Wow. Gobsmacked here, sorry to have offered you some advice.

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              Dang, I just happened to stumble across this and saw pmillen labeled in similarity with he who shall not be named and I’m deeply saddened. I’ve virtually known Paul for a few years on two other pellet related forums and he is quite the guy and really branched out into new territory buying a KBQ. His quest for details is almost unprecedented, but anything in personality or attitude like the recently abolished from here he is not.

Has anyone used their KBQ to cook/smoke 1-3/4" to 2" thick (approximate thickness) Pork Steaks that have been cut from the upper shoulder?
            What I am referring to is a thick slice from a cut also known as the Boston Butt or as in my case, it is labeled as "Whole Pork But In The Bag"
            Basically, they arrive at Fry's Foods in a cryovac bag.
            I have the butcher open them and saw them because they have the shoulder bone still in them.
            (There is no knife that I am aware of that will cut through this shoulder bone easily and effectively)
            -
            USUALLY, these cuts are smoked/cooked whole without slicing.
            The bone is removed after smoking, and if it comes out easily with just a twist, the shoulder is considered done.
            It is then shredded and can be served as is, and this shredded pork is commonly served on sandwiches.
            The familiar name after being smoked and shredded is "Pulled Pork".
            I am NOT wanting to pull/shred this pork.
            -
            Tootsie at Snow's BBQ in Lexington, Texas sells her incredibly popular 2" pork steaks for about $27 each.
            I have heard them called a... "MUST TRY BEFORE YOU DIE" (Bucket List Thing) so I want to add similar pork steaks to my growing menu, and begin the long journey to make mine incredible.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4 cuts.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	766660
            Nine pound pork shoulder cut into 4 steaks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5 cuts.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.65 MB ID:	766661
            11-1/2 pound pork shoulder cut into 5 steaks.
            -
            I have been trying to make "Country Style Ribs" from this cut for awhile now with WAY too many difficulties.
            Am basically done trying and and am now going to try to copy the best of the best, Tootsie's pork steaks.
            -
            I have done lots of reading online, have some ideas, but nothing is coming up done in our smokers.
            Tootsie does hers with a mop sauce for about 6 hours over direct heat only, not her offsets.
            -
            My plan so far is to sear, then drop the temp and "Cowboy Cook" over live coals for awhile, then pull to the KBQ at a temperature that will render the fat without drying them out.
            Basically, am looking to add some high quality blue smoke on them to finish.
            -
            Anyone have an experience with this pork steak cut in the KBQ that would like to share the results?
            Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 8, 2019, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I have not but I’d love to try this sometime.

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't have the KBQ but I cook these all the time in my Vision grill. I don't cook full butts in the Vision. I prep like a regular butt. At about 5-6 hours I put them in a Lodge dutch oven in the grill with a small layer onions, garlic, peppers, white wine or beer. I use them day one for pulled pork and day two for enchiladas. Tremendous. You don't get the regular stall, so be ready to go at 8 hours or less at 225.

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              BBQ_Bill did you ever try these? I just picked up some pork shoulder steaks and want to smoke them alongside a pork brisket tomorrow

The boat is out of the water and winterized. It is KBQ time. For my second cook I am can going to cook ribs again. This time I going to follow the advice of Spinaker and Ernest and cook them other than rub as is. No mopping or wrapping with light brown sugar, honey, and Parkay.

Tonight I trimmed both racks and put the meat trimming in a pan. I put rub and yellow mustard on both racks and the trimmings in the pan. Then into the refrigerator over night and till the pit is up temperature tomorrow.

The cook plan is to re-rub and mustard ribs and trimmings when they come out of the refrigerator and then into the cook box. Cook the ribs to an internal temperature of 150 degrees F. Take off the trimmings for an afternoon snack. Then continue to cook the ribs 203 degrees F and see it they are done. There will be a water pan.

pmillen you asked about rubs and recipes. I cook for the Admiral and myself. I have used commercial rubs and rubs from BBQ cook books. None of which one or both of us liked. So I started playing around mixing I own. In July of this year I came up with one we both like. I use it on both pork and brisket.

Frigate’s Rub Ver. 1.0

1 cup turbinado sugar finely ground in coffee grinder.
            ½ cup granulated sugar.
            ½ cup Kosher salt.
            1 tablespoon onion powder.
            3 tablespoons granulated garlic
            2 tablespoons cayenne pepper.
            2 teaspoons finely ground black pepper.
            2 teaspoons dry mustard.
            ¼ cup mild chili powder.
            1 teaspoon ground cumin.
            ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons paprika.
            Mix all completely in bowl.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here