Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	smokey.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	695607Click image for larger version

Name:	KBQ.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	695608

Comment

Oh my!!!

Comment

What heat advisory?!

Name:	IMG_20190720_133807.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	717792Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas que.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	717793Click image for larger version

Name:	beef ribs.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	717794Click image for larger version

Name:	bite.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	717795

Comment

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto on why I'm an owner. Beautiful cook my friend.

• JGrana
          JGrana commented
          Editing a comment
          I echo @Spinaker's comment. The review on AmazingRibs had me close - looking at all your photos put me over the top.
          Now, I have no fear of the brisket.

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          @Ernest: As I just asked Spinaker, can you share with us your recipe? Thanks, Daniel

Good read: https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/bil...u-kbq-smokers/

Comment

Who doesn't love some KBQ ribs? I already posted these over at the SUWYC thread, but these pictures belong here. THEM BONES THO!!!

Name:	IMG_4861.jpeg
Views:	522
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	726255Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4864.jpeg
Views:	497
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	726254Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4869.jpeg
Views:	533
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	726253

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          And I did! lostclusters

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh man... KBQ ribs are the best!

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          @Spinaker: Can you summarize your recipe? St. Louis ribs? Rub, any glaze? temps, wraps? I would like to make those, and could only hope they looks so good! Thanks,
          Daniel

Got mine fired up today, started with baby backs.

They were oustanding. Used oak. wish I could get a good supply of hickory and mesquite up here.

What are people's experience with leaving the poppets open vs 1 open, 1 closed?

Notice much flavor difference?
        Last edited by Lightfighter214; August 6, 2019, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightfighter214 View Post
          Got mine fired up today, started with baby backs.

They were oustanding. Used oak. wish I could get a good supply of hickory and mesquite upbhere.

What are people's experience with leaving the poppets open vs 1 open, 1 closed?

Notice much flavor difference?
          First of all, Welcome to the Pitmaster Club and the KBQ family! When you get the chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself!

I do notice a difference. I generally cook with my top poppet closed and the bottom one open. For most of the cook, I want the cleanest smoke that I can get. However, for the first hour or so, I will cook with them both open. Most of your smoke adheres at the beginning of the cook when the meat is cool and wet.

Comment

Cherry wood rack of lamb. Slow roasted at around 180-200 range

Name:	wood lamb.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	731824Click image for larger version

Name:	lamb.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	731825

Comment

Nice and congrats, have some fun with that smoker.

Comment

Lightfighter214 honestly I don't notice much difference in flavor right away but the color is very noticeable. Top open gets dark color.
                Now the smoke gets heavy next day. That's were I notice it the most.

Comment

Dr. Pepper There's no recipe. I season with salt the night before. Cook day, fresh cracked pepper medley (black, green, white, pink peppercorns and all spice berries)
                  KBQ range 215-230. That's it.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                    Dr. Pepper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. That's a recipe, just not a complicated one. But, it answers: what did you do to the surface? What temperature?
                    One more question: How long was the cook, and did you monitor meat temp? Those are beef ribs, verdad?
                    Beautiful

Dr. Pepper I'm in the Meat Head camp, I stick to 225 every time. I use a maverick thermometer, once I lock in the temp range I'm done. Rest of the time I just feed the KBQ with wood.
                  ​​​​​​​I never cook by time as every rib rack purchase will be different. Plan for 5 to 7 hours. Get you some vodka and chillax.

Comment

Dr. Pepper I really don't try to make things too complicated. The KBQ does all that for you. The smoke flavor is what I really want to come through in the flavor profile.

I almost always make St. Louis Style ribs. I like how uniform they are and they don't have that thick loin meat on top. I find that they simply cook better and more uniformly.

I generally run my KBQ at an average of 275 F when cooking ribs. I feel like this gives me the bark I really like. However, you would be fine going at 225 F as well, I just don't see a point in going that low when 275 F works just fine for me.

As for the rub, I like to use a lot of different commercial rubs to make it easy or I simply use salt and pepper. Some of the commercial rubs I really like are Meat Church Honey Hog or Honey Pecan. I also really like Oak Ridge BBQ's Dominator Rub. Lastly, I love Head Country Original rub. This one is more simple and bold. It has a great flavor and is not sweet, but savory. As I mentioned above, I also love to use simple salt and pepper in a 50/50 mixture of kosher salt and 15 mesh Black pepper. This all works great, but again the KBQ smoke is what you are really after.

I don't wrap my ribs, unless I am holding them in the oven. In that case, I only wrap once I am done cooking.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                      Dr. Pepper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Spinaker Helps a lot. Up till now I’ve only done baby backs. I know what you mean about the thick loin meat (especially on Costco/Swift’s giant racks). It can get dry.
                      I’ll try St Louis next.
                      Daniel

• hogdog6
                      hogdog6 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ditto on the St.Louis cut. IMHO way better than baby backs. I to roll at 275* to 300*. Love the KBQ ribs

Name:	IMG_20190825_134900.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	735313

Comment

KBQ WIBS, 4 years in and I still get giddy

Name:	wibs.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	735470

Comment

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hahahahahha, insane!

• hogdog6
                        hogdog6 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Giggity 😋

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here