Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked brisket today...
    Attached Files

Comment

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastic

• badf00d
      badf00d commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks incredible. Cook time and temp?

• JGrana
      JGrana commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, that juiciness comes through! Nice job on the slicing.
      Before the KBQ, I feared the brisket. Now, bring it on ;-) This smoker is made for brisket (and ribs, and chicken and sausage and shorties and chuckies - this list goes on)

Thanks guys! I smoke three briskest at 225 - 250 for about 12 hours in 40 degree weather. They turned out great.

Comment

Everything just seems to, Ericm!

Comment

Ericm
        Click image for larger version

Name:	21270784_10211465392322928_4685852652494845812_n.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	407657 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          And I was the 50,000 viewer of this post! Do i win a BBQ prize? Huskee

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          You get some juicy applause 👏 👏👏👏

Hey guys,

I'm planning on doing a pork shoulder and a brisket for the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We're having people over for the Ohio State-Michigan football game (noon kickoff as is tradition), and I was hoping to have some delicious meat from my KBQ to serve. I've got a couple questions though...

With a noon kickoff, and two big hunks of meat, am I better off cooking the day before and reheating Saturday? I really don't want to be up from midnight until noon watching the cook happen, and I think regardless of how early I would wake up, the meat wouldn't be ready in time. I'm also not a huge fan of reheating meat, and would much rather have fresh stuff to serve, but I don't know if a faux cambro setup, even in my Yeti, would last long enough to make it to noon the next day

Is post oak (Fruita sourced) good for both pork shoulder and brisket? I used Fruita's applewood for my first pork shoulder, and it turned out fantastic albeit 10 hours later than anticipated, but I wasn't sure if oak would be good for both.

We're going to be out of town Wednesday night through Friday morning visiting my parents and her grandmother; should I salt the meat Wednesday before we leave, and then use MMD when we get back as I'm getting the KBQ up and running?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it (and I think my guests will too)!

Comment

• krish the fish
          krish the fish commented
          Editing a comment
          badf00d I do have a couple Anova immersion circulators...

• JGrana
          JGrana commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting idea badf00d! I am planning on some brisket points to go along with the turkey this Thanksgiving. I like the idea of the partial smoke the day before - then finish in the hot tub.
          What temp do you use for the sous vide?

• badf00d
          badf00d commented
          Editing a comment
          225ºF for the KBQ [4 hours], and then 185ºF in the sous vide bath [4 hours]. After breaking them out of the bag, you can firm the bark up again on a grill (I use my gas grill) on low heat and for literally only a few minutes. At 185ºF don't hold them in the bath or they start to turn into pot roast. If you need to wait before serving, pull them out of the bath and put them in a cooler/Cambro.
          Last edited by badf00d; November 10, 2017, 01:10 PM.

krish the fish

Hey buddy, If you want everyone to eat by noon you're either going to have to reheat or get up around 2am. Otherwise if everyone is OK eating in the afternoon I think you could get away with starting around 5am. You'd be surprised how fast it cooks- i would run around 275 or so for a quicker cook time. I can usually get a brisket done in 7-8 hours with higher temps and wrapping (at around 170 internal temp) Wrapping is your friend - use foil. Otherwise pulled pork reheats just fine if you vacuum seal it with juices!

For wood, post oak and apple are both great, but it seems like you're gonna spend an arm and a leg from fruita! I would try to source some local hickory or oak (or even maple if youre in OH)

Cheers

Comment

• krish the fish
          krish the fish commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I was hoping to have food ready to eat by the time people showed up, but maybe a bit later wouldn't be the worst thing in the world... Everyone will be drinking after all! I'll talk it over with my fiancée and see what she thinks. Don't want the boss mad!

I've got a line on local apple wood so far, but I have Post Oak from Fruita already. Need to find a supplier for local hardwood soon

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          you could also do the pulled pork in advance to make sliders with for apps before kickoff- i do a vinegar slaw on king's hawaiian rolls, then brisket a little bit later

krish the fish
        How low does your kitchen oven go?
        -
        I have held brisket, double wrapped in butcher paper in my kitchen oven for a VERY long time.
        (Am thinking it was about 11 hours)
        I added liquid into the wrapping before closing them tightly.
        The meat was great when finally served.
        The temperature average was 155°F just above the rack between the two briskets. (X marks the spot)
        I placed three older Pyrex baking dishes on the rack just above the ovens bottom heating element.
        These baking dishes were filled with VERY hot water and stacked with the center one resting on the other two.
        (Please refer to my crude and quick drawing and my photo)
        This method basically creates a water barrier between the meat and the heat, and increased the humidity level in the oven.
        Placing Lava Rock in the dishes helps increase surface area for evaporation and helps increase the moisture level in the oven.
        (I found out about this after this photo was taken)
        -
        A large stock pot on the stove top supplied the hot water.
        I would re-fill the dishes with more very hot water every few hours as it evaporated.

Name:	Holding Oven.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	408525Click image for larger version

Name:	My Electric Oven.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	408524
        You can see the oil that dripped into the water there floating in these Pyrex dishes.
        -
        You might consider this method as it sort of mimics a holding cabinet.

BBQ_Bill

Comment

• krish the fish
          krish the fish commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Bill,

My kitchen ovens should go down to 150 I believe, though I haven't tested it out yet. This seems like a great idea, keep them in a humidified temp controlled zone until ready to serve. This might be exactly what I am looking for! Thank you!!

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          You are most welcome sir.

What size pans do you guys have in the bottom of your KBQs? Full or half? I am not at home right now and can't measure the racks, but I want to make sure when I go to the restaurant supply store to get the right pan I don't go too big or too small.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          Full.
          I have added a link in post #1255 below.
          Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 11, 2017, 11:45 AM. Reason: Add more info regarding a link.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Full, 2". In retrospect I'd have gone with something less deep to free up one more shelf position.

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          What Ed said! Full, but shallow is better!

krish the fish
        I have done this "oven hold" many many times, but if memory serves me correctly, the longest oven and transport hold was around 11 hours.
        Upon wrapping after the color is where you want it, adding 1 ounce of bone broth per pound of finished brisket weight is really good as well.
        If opening to probe the flat for doneness, be sure to spritz the meat and butcher paper each time and then re-wrap tightly.
        If the paper rips (as it does at times) it's no big deal, simply wrap a fresh sheet over and re-wrap it tightly.
        Aaron says to wrap tightly, so I do.
        My thoughts on this are that without an air gap between the paper and the meat, the moist paper contact helps the oven heat to transfer into the meat better.
        I don't use aluminum foil due to it making the beef seem "pot-roasty" like in flavor and produces a consistency similar to a braise.
        There are many others that have converted to paper from foil after trialing.
        -
        Back to the oven... my kitchen oven is a bit weird Krish.
        Sometimes it will hold the 150°F average I want, and at other times the lowest it will hold is 170°F average.
        Nonetheless, it does work okay for me, however, this method does not give me the really high humidity that I want.
        -
        To get a bit higher humidity, the lava rock addition does help, but I finally decided that I needed more room and higher humidity.
        So... I purchased a couple of full sized holding cabinets that will hold at 150°F and keep the moisture level right where I want it.
        -
        The only drawback, is after a long moist hold, the bark suffers, so it needs to go back into the smoker or a dry oven to dry/reset the bark.
        The smoker (without a water pan) will dry the bark, and will also boost the "washed out" smoke flavor a bit.
        The HUGE advantage is that the long hold continues to break down collagen and the heavy humidity prevents the meat from losing any moisture.
        The meat simply cannot stall, evaporate or dry out because the moisture level in the cabinet at 75% is higher than the moisture level in the meat at 56%.
        THIS hold is the second most important thing to having your brisket be "Sublime, Unearthly, Unreal" and all of those other descriptive terms that customers say.
        -
        Smoke On!

Comment

krish the fish Go HERE and to post #4 for photos regarding drip/water pans for the KBQ.

Comment

Back home for a few days. Rain is in the forecast, I'll take my chances......

Name:	cameringo_20171112_110352.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	409680

Comment

Yum!!!
              Rain, rain, go away!!!

Comment

Medieval times are upon us!

Name:	cameringo_20171112_140929.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	409880

Name:	Go medieval.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	409879

Comment

• smokinfatties
                  smokinfatties commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Perfection!

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congrats, Theodoric of York, Medieval Barbecuer!!!
                  Those look great!

Well......I posted these over on the SUWYC thread, but they really belong here.
                KBQ's BEEF RIBS!!
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3395.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.82 MB ID:	410124Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3400.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.46 MB ID:	410123Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3407.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	410122Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3410.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	410121

Comment

• hogdog6
                  hogdog6 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love the color of those ribs, I should be from Texas because to me beef is king. I’m drooling 🤤!

• SteveEd
                  SteveEd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Spinaker, what time should we show up Saturday?

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When ever you want! SteveEd

I can't seem to find the price on the KBQ400.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                  BBQ_Bill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Friedrich (Pronounced "Freed Rick") The KBQ400 is the Friedrich Max Flavor 400 unit retrofitted with Bill Karau's inverted flame plus other additions like a 1°F PID controller.
                  I found the price for that mobile unit as stated by Bill Karau in a facebook post. "High teens to low 20s, depending on options"

• SteveEd
                  SteveEd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So Ernest, now that you've found the price are you going to find the money?

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  SteveEd umm NOPE!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here