Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ is the weekend or a weekday better for you? Just call the main number?

Comment

• KBQ
      KBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Weekends or weekday evenings at the number on your Controlbox

Tri-tip, corn and anaheim peppers KBQ style!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170819_175003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	365888

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170819_195039.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.31 MB ID:	365889

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170819_193610.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.20 MB ID:	365890Click image for larger version  Name:	20170819_201010.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	365891

Best Tri-Tip I've ever made. KBQ 200-235 for about 90 minutes to 120 degrees, then basted with a little avocado oil and seared on the firebox for 5-10 minutes. Fantastic!

I absolutely love that firebox with the lodge grill on it. It's a must for KBQ'ers. Great way to pass the time during a long smoke... reheating/searing leftover chicken wings or whatever you have laying around. Can't wait to try a smoked reverse sear steak on it.
    Last edited by Zac Jones; August 20, 2017, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks tasty! Where's mine?

• SteinerBBQ
      SteinerBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      That tri-tip looks delicious! Will have to get one of those lodge grills until the Sear Grid becomes available.

Kaspar Wire Works in Shiner TX, who makes my wire shelves, are sending me a prototype Sear Grid for testing.
    Made of D0.250 304SS. Hopefully loose enough to slide on & off lengthwise but snug enough to not lift off vertically.
    Could be some trial & error to accommodate all the Firebox movement due to thermal expansion ... stay tuned.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KBQ Sear Grid.JPG
Views:	753
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	366008

Comment

• JGrana
      JGrana commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good, can't wait!

• Bellefonte Smoker
      Bellefonte Smoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Any updates, KBQ?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      KBQ

KBQ I think I got it. Actually just got in from finishing. Took off the blades and cleaned them good with oven cleaner. What I assume is the thermostat element (stainless thing inside of the spring) was actually not even visible it was so gunked up. I thought I was just going to clean the spring and voila - there was something inside. I cleaned it off with a toothbrush pretty good. The only things that really got gunked up were the bottom of the fan blades and that. If that does not do the trick I'll give you a ring. Love the cooker!

Comment

• KBQ
      KBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      That should do it. Just don't let any cleaner/degreaser run down the motor shafts. It will degrease the bearings, too!

• JGrana
      JGrana commented
      Editing a comment
      I deep clean the control box a similar way. One trick I did recently - put plumbers putty around the motor shafts. Easy on, easy off. Insurance ;-)

Made chicken for the first time in the KBQ. Very juicy at 325 degrees for an hour. The S&G rub works real nice with the chicken. Made a tomatillo salsa for dipping which paired quite well. Hoping to give pastrami a try next (sous vide first and then in the smoker).

Comment

Anybody know how many KBQs are currently in the pit?

Comment

I finished cleaning my KBQ today. It took about four cans of Easy Off, but it looks almost as good as the day it was delivered.
      Attached Files

Comment

• JGrana
        JGrana commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great congrats! What are those stainless rods/clamps on the two sides of the KBQ?

• Ericm
        Ericm commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are a mod I did. They are adjustable legs taken from legs from a floor Tom. Besides the benefit of having the KBQ taller, it also helps when using on uneven ground.

OmegaDog12 I dry brine everything!
      I'm old school, I use 225 degrees. Takes anywhere from 4 to 6 hours depending on meatiness and marbling.

Comment

KBQ Fired her up and working perfectly now.... thanks everyone for the cleaning tips

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yo! Good to hear from you again! Been a while........

• slvance
          slvance commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker it has been awhile - you changed your picture!

This might be a dumb question, but for those of you without a side-table near your KBQ, what do you do if you have a thermometer w/ probes like the Thermoworks Smoke? Is the top of the KBQ cool enough to put the Smoke on, or do I need to figure out some way/somewhere to put the Smoke receiver while I'm actually cooking?

Comment

Originally posted by krish the fish View Post
          This might be a dumb question, but for those of you without a side-table near your KBQ, what do you do if you have a thermometer w/ probes like the Thermoworks Smoke? Is the top of the KBQ cool enough to put the Smoke on, or do I need to figure out some way/somewhere to put the Smoke receiver while I'm actually cooking?
          Welcome to the Pit! You can put your controller on the KBQ cook box. I did this for a while, I placed a plate setter in-between the KBQ and the controller just to make sure. But careful of falling embers. I found that buying a cheap folding table was a much better option.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Good thing about the table is, it folds up and stores in the garage, easily. Out of sight out of mind. krish the fish

• krish the fish
            krish the fish commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker good point!

• lostclusters
            lostclusters commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine just sit on the ground, although sometime the cables seem too short.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	382.3 KB ID:	369614Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	446.0 KB ID:	369615Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	777.9 KB ID:	369616

It folds for easy carry and a small storage footprint, plus does the job of holding the temperature monitors and more.
          Named: Outsunny Aluminum Camping Folding Camp Table with Carrying Handle, 23.5-Inch x 17.5-Inch
          Got it for $24.52 and free shipping, but it appears that the original seller has sold out for now.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            That purchase was made just this last June.
            Looks like the price is considerably higher now...

Originally posted by krish the fish View Post
          I use these types of magnetic hooks on a few of my grills to hang things on - thermos, tongs, fire poker, etc,:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 4.37.27 PM.png Views:	1 Size:	147.5 KB ID:	369631
          EDIT: Forgot to add link: https://smile.amazon.com/L-Fine-Magn...ic+hooks&psc=1

Comment

• lostclusters
            lostclusters commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought magnets won't stick to stainless steal. Evidently they stick to our KBQs.

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            There are many "flavors" of stainless steel. Some are magnetic some aren't.

krish the fish Hate to say it, because I believe in the value of meat probes, but with the KBQ I just don't bother. The quick temp recovery from opening the door to check with a Thermapen, and putting another one in the hole in the controller for cookbox temp, seems enough. Different approach than for the BGE, but it works. And when the meat is ready, I can smell it without the thermometer.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I really didn't either. Until I got my Fireboard. Then I started using it on the KBQ.

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            I monitor the meat for long cooks with my maverick. Hot and fast (chicken, etc) I no longer do, just check with the thermopen for doneness. As EdF states and it is interesting I too have noticed that you start to smell the food as it gets close to being done.

Originally posted by EdF View Post
          krish the fish Hate to say it, because I believe in the value of meat probes, but with the KBQ I just don't bother. The quick temp recovery from opening the door to check with a Thermapen, and putting another one in the hole in the controller for cookbox temp, seems enough. Different approach than for the BGE, but it works. And when the meat is ready, I can smell it without the thermometer.
          I have a thermapen (actually I think I have two lying around the house somewhere) as well as the Smoke, so maybe I'll end up doing that. I just figured it's a cardinal sin of BBQ to not have temperature monitored, so I got the Smoke to have a constant monitor on the meat. I would have had to pop it open to check the chicken though, so maybe the Thermapen alone will be the easiest method

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here