Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ Cozy

Sometime back we had a short discussion on insulating the KBQ for cold weather. The smoker does great at keeping temps in a range that you set, but as I was smoking this winter season, I was going through lots of wood with the fans working overtime. Sooooo..... I decided to try an experiment, taking some of the advice from that discussion.

I stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up a 4X8 welders blanket. I knew the KBQ has 2ft. long sides. I also picked up some magnets (thanks Histrix for the idea).
    By folding the blanket 1/2 on itself it covered 3 sides quite well. The magnets held it in place well - I don't need this during summer months.

Note that I had made a mod on the KBQ to bolt on a side shelf.

Here are the pictures of the KBQ Cozy:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2200739.JPG
Views:	540
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	279150Click image for larger version

Name:	P2200740.JPG
Views:	552
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	279151

I used this for the first time yesterday. Not sure it was a good test - it was 48F here in Rochester NY. Typically it is 20F or less!!! And, it wasn't too windy,
    It seemed to work well, at one point I was putting logs into the chamber 45 mins apart! As the evening came in and the temps dropped to the 30's it was more like 25-30 mins apart.

At this point, the jury is out. Not sure it made a big difference. If I do a smoke in 20's and 30's I will let you all know.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      We'll be waiting to hear!

• JGrana
      JGrana commented
      Editing a comment
      One comment I failed to mention above - I did find that I needed to keep the control box dial at a lower number. I usually find that 188 on the dial gets me into the 220-235 range. With the blanket, I had to lower it to 144 for the same temperature range. Interesting.

Originally posted by JGrana View Post
    KBQ Cozy
    Wow, I bet that works pretty well. I should do that when I am cooking below zero.

How did you attach the shelf to the KBQ? I am to chicken to mess up the KBQ. I bet that shelf is handy though.

Comment

On a different forum I was in a thread yesterday talking about the KBQ and mentioned that when I got mine last Spring I mounted mine on a table. Someone asked for more info about what I had done so I posted this and just thought I would share it here also:

Here is my "Silver Surfer" KBQ setup...

This is the table I modified:

used these casters:

Slide out shelves:

The control box is stored in this plastic toolbox:

I cut the legs to a length that when the KBQ is bolted to the table would put the top of the firebox just below eye level. With this 4' table length I can open the door completely and it is supported by the table. I was considering a shorter table length but when I spoke with Bill at KBQ before buying mine and mentioned what I was thinking of doing to elevate the cooker he said that the door really needed to be fully supported when laid open otherwise it might rack the door hinge.

Being mounted as is on this table it is at a very comfortable height for me to use the KBQ. One of my knees is rather wonky and if I had to use it on the ground as it normally would be I would not have bought my KBQ. The table surface has also come in handy when using my other grills as it provides a convenient spot to place hot grids or just set trays, etc.

The table is fully exposed to the elements and has held up well. Only the tabletop is stainless but the chrome plating on the legs and shelf is good quality and is not showing any rust. The sliding shelves were meant for indoor use in kitchen cabinets and the chrome plating is rather weak and is showing some rust. The sliding shelves aren't really necessary (tho they do make it easier for me to get/store the firebox) and if they get too rusty I'll just remove them.

Name:	SilverSurfer.jpeg
Views:	589
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	279231Click image for larger version

Name:	SilverSurfer-shelvesout.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	279232

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        How tall is the top surface of the table? Is the KBQ free-standing or bolted down somehow? Thanks Histrix !

• Dale Case
        Dale Case commented
        Editing a comment
        Histrix Nice setup, that has to be good for the knees AND back !! Hey, there is a product called "Corrosion Block", comes in an aluminum aerosol can (blue/silver), and is a great product for protecting the metal parts and keeping them moving freely. We use it on all the boat parts and electronics.

You KBQ'rs are going to get me killed. My wife has threatened my life if I get another cooker. Every time I see the pics you post, the food / smoke ring looks so amazing that my MCS gets almost out of control and I find myself on the KBQ site doing all I can to not order one. Please keep posting though I love what I see.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Just get one. She'll get over it. Especially after she tries the food!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Worked on my wife this week. And it was the first time we agreed on the "doneness" of the chicken in ages.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think our wives are related!

Very nice set up Histrix I have been contemplating doing this for a while now. That is my only complaint with the KBQ. How low it sits. Kind makes it a pain in the backside, sometimes. This set up totally negates that. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post

Wow, I bet that works pretty well. I should do that when I am cooking below zero.

How did you attach the shelf to the KBQ? I am to chicken to mess up the KBQ. I bet that shelf is handy though.
        I had a spare side shelf from an old charcoal grill. The 2 attachment parts are about 5" long with holes on top. I carefully drilled 2 small holes in the KBQ, - the size of the SS screws I was using (same size as the holes on the attachment) and bolted it on. Since the sides of the KBQ are somewhat thin, the table can't hold too much weight (like a full packer). But for utensils, thermometers, spritz bottles - perfect! What I liked about the shelf is that it is light and folds down for storage.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thats what I was afraid of. What about putting a small folding leg that can drop down from the under side of the table? Something to give it support from the ground.

• Dale Case
          Dale Case commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm cheap, I just have a 5 gallon bucket turned upside down next to mine for a table Lol

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I use a plastic folding table.
          Dale Case

See that metal thing behind the KBQ? That's what I use when my wife doesn't have scrap wood covering it. Of course, she's the one who rescued it from a construction site she was working at, so ...

Name:	20170219_152207.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	279401

Comment

EdF the table top is at about 23" which puts the top of the firebox at about 65". It is bolted to the table which makes it easy to roll about. If I ever needed to remove it it is takes just a few minutes with a socket wrench.

Dale Case - thanks for the info on Corrosion Block. I'll give it a try. I'm not concerned about surface rust on the shelves but the slides/bearings might need some protection.

One other thing I did was to make some "spark arrestors" from stainless steel wire mesh. On very windy days I've noticed embers popping out from the coal bed. Not ordinarily a problem as my KBQ is on a concrete patio far enough from anything combustible. However, with my KBQ mounted on the table that puts the coal bed up higher closer to eye level and I just wanted to try something to lessen the odds of an ember jumping into my eyeball.

They take one second to lift off when I need to work the colas/firebox. Eventually I plan to remake these with nicer bends/folds and to also fold around the ends to completely cover the opening but these have done the job well enough that making better ones is not a real priority.

Name:	KBQ Spark Screen.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	279422

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Histrix, Do you know what gauge mesh that is. I was going to pick some up.I was thinking between #5 and #8. But I'm not sure. I like this idea! Thanks

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker it's Stainless Steel 304 Mesh #8 .035 Wire Cloth Screen I got via ebay.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Perfect! Exactly were I was looking. Just needed the size. Appreciate it.

So I finally pulled the trigger on one of these, should have it in less then 2 weeks. I literally spent a year thinking and debating, and my wife finally told me to get it, she was probably sick of me talking about it.

I emailed Bill and he told me not to worry so much about probes inside the cookbox, one probe through the control box is sufficient he said, but I got a fancy 2 probe unit for Christmas and damn it, I want to use it! Does anyone have experience snaking their ThermoWorks probes into the cookbox, or making modifications to do so?

Comment

• badf00d
            badf00d commented
            Editing a comment
            Congrats! Welcome to the club.

• carolts
            carolts commented
            Editing a comment
            I run the probe from my iGrill2 through the gap in the top corner. The probes are similar to the ThermoWorks. You should have no problem.

JoeDSM Some folks are able to snake their probes thru the small opening at the corners of the cook box. The ones I use are too big to do that so I drilled a hole in the side of the cook box. I used a high temp silicone grommet to protect the probe wires from the sharp edges. My probes are still too big to feed thru this hole so I just feed the plug end of the probe cable out thru the hole from inside the cook box. The hole diameter of the rubber grommet is 3/8" and I can fit three probes thru it at a time. Haven't needed it yet but I may put in another hole/grommet. I also have little silocone plugs to seal the grommet opening if needed but there are so many holes in the cook chamber already that I doubt one more causes any problems in its performance.

Name:	KBQ - probes hole.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	280206Click image for larger version

Name:	KBQ - probes.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	280207

Comment

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            The side panels that have the shelf slots and support the shelves are set back from the front edge of the cook box by an inch or two. I drilled the hole in that gap The wires thus do not poke thru a shelf slot..

• JoeDSM
            JoeDSM commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool, thanks!

• kmuoio
            kmuoio commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for this original post Histrix - two years later and I found this post very useful!

JoeDSM I've only used it twice. I couldn't get the air probe for my ThermoQ through the corner, though crimping it a bit might do it. So I used my classic Thermapen through the hole in the control box, and just assumed it was 30 degrees higher than the bottom of the cookbox. There's now a Thermapen designed for use in air, so I've ordered it. Apparently, you can disable the auto-shutoff on it. The KBQ seems very forgiving about temps. Both the chicken and the ribs came out seriously well.

Comment

Originally posted by EdF View Post
            JoeDSM I've only used it twice. I couldn't get the air probe for my ThermoQ through the corner, though crimping it a bit might do it. So I used my classic Thermapen through the hole in the control box, and just assumed it was 30 degrees higher than the bottom of the cookbox. There's now a Thermapen designed for use in air, so I've ordered it. Apparently, you can disable the auto-shutoff on it. The KBQ seems very forgiving about temps. Both the chicken and the ribs came out seriously well.

Given the convection oven nature of the KBQ I'm guessing that the temps inside the cook box probably don't vary too much from top/bottom/front/back. Certainly there will be areas where due to the interrupted airflow caused by meat and drip pans some areas may be a bit hotter or colder.

However, I'd be surprised to find that the exhaust temp measured via the probe hole at the control box is ever going to be significantly hotter than a temp inside the cook box.

Here's a clip from a butt I cooked yesterday. I ran three probes - one in the butt, one on the grate near the back behind the butt by a few inches, and one in the control box probe port. As you can see, when the exhaust fan is running the exhaust temp is just a degree or so higher than the grate probe. When the exhaust fan stopped the temp of the exhaust port understandably drops.

Click image for larger version  Name:	KBQ CYCLE TEMPS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	280268

Just for my own amusement I think I might run my KBQ for an hour this weekend and empty except for probes inside the cook box in a few locations just to see how much temp variance there is.

As you say, it really doesn't matter in the end results but I'm just curious.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, and I seriously screwed up because I meant to say "30 degrees lower". Thanks for the correction, Histrix !

I found these on eBay for a Guru, two probes easily fit through one of the corner holes on the KBQ. Without modifications you can fit 4 probes 2 on each side. Full transparency, have used these once with good results, two probes through one of the existing holes on the KBQ and one through the other. Easy to insert and remove which wasn't the case with stainless wrapped probes.

Comment

• Histrix
              Histrix commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you actually using those probes in a Guru? Not all probes will work with all thermometers even if the jacks are the same size/type.

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa Thanks!

• ICSmoker
              ICSmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I am using these with a guru (cyberq).

Spinaker,@Histrix,@EdF and others: I've gone and gotten myself in trouble and need serious help. I work with kids and have promised to sell BBQ plates with 100% of the money going to the March of Dimes for disabled kids. I NEVER expected the response, but I have orders for 150 plates!! Fortunately, Boston Butts are on sale here for $1/lb. How many butts can I put on the KBQ at the same time safely? Do I need to rotate them? If so, how often? Is it better to cook to 200 deg. internal temp or cook to 150-160 and crutch them? All suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.
            -The OmegaDog

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Are the 150 plates being served on-site or are they being delivered? I can't answer the KBQ question but I can think of strategies if the experts say it won't accommodate the number of butts you will need.

OmegaDog12 This is going to be sheer speculation. From my notes when I smoked butts for a large cook a few years ago, I got 34% yield for both butts and picnics. Some had bones, some did not.

A second large cook I combined SV and smoking, and got 53% yield. These were boneless.

If you figure an average 1/3 lb serving, that puts you in the 50 lbs of uncooked meat area for straight smoking. In principle, the KBQ can handle 60lb. So, it should be doable, but I haven't enough experience on the KBQ to know what number of racks would be needed and how to arrange it. Seems like you'd almost certainly need to move them around during the cook with that full a load. Wrapping vs full cook is going to depend on what kind of workflow you foresee. If it's all smoking, all at once, wrapping is likely to be more practical.

On the other hand if you have a good SV machine, you can stretch the cooking over a few days and take some of the load off the cooker. That's what I did, but I was only serving 30-35, and only had a large BGE at my disposal.

The route I took was to smoke as many as I could fit for 3 or so hours, pack them and SV as many as I could fit at 176 for 18 hours over a couple/three days, refrigerating the early batches. Then I took them out, dried them, and torched them. A different kind of searing would also work.

Come to think of it, I don't think I needed more than one SV batch, but it was a while back.

Others prefer SV followed by smoking - haven't tried it yet. Ernest apparently has done 24 hours SV at 158, followed by 4 hours as 160 in the KBQ. I'm sure that was awesome.

Anyway, it's going to be all about your workflow I think. Sorry I can't be more help.
            Last edited by EdF; February 26, 2017, 11:49 AM. Reason: fixing the yield info

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here