Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, I got it yesterday, So it finally landed at my house! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1390.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	270979

Comment

• carolts
      carolts commented
      Editing a comment
      We're like a cult within a cult! You're gonna love it!

• Chargers
      Chargers commented
      Editing a comment
      What is in the Memphis Dust? I am reading the instructions- when you add 1/2 charcoal starter of lump charcoal and add wood do you have to wait to start cooking?

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastic!

YES!!!! Welcome to the Brotherhood!!! They do look so gorgeous when they are brand new. Make sure you get us some pictures of your first cook!!

Comment

• Chargers
      Chargers commented
      Editing a comment
      Any pointers on temp control, what to do on certain meats? I usually have a long learning curve.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Just set the dial and make sure its fed logs on a regular basis. The KBQ does the rest! Chargers

Had a little party for my nephew's 1st birthday. And like most other 1 year olds, he requested that bbq be served to 40 of his closest family and friends. Made 4 boston butts all weighing around 7.5 lbs each. Total cook time was right at 9.5 hours at about 240°. Used hickory with a little red oak. Between meat, sandwich fixings, and sides (slaw, potato salad, macaroni salad, chips/dip), fed the 40 on $100 give or take $10. I bought everything at the Costco Business Center. Same meat, little cheaper. Sometimes a lot cheaper. I don't know why when it's only 6 to 8 miles away from 2 Costcos in either direction
    Attached Files

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
      Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys. Everyone was a happy camper

• carolts
      carolts commented
      Editing a comment
      Pulled pork nachos! love those.

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
      Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      carolts had pulled pork nachos before but this is the first time I've had them with properly smoked pulled pork. I love them now!

Chargers You can start your fire using about a quarter chimney of Lump, that's about the easiest method I think. As soon as I pour that in I throw a few small kindling sticks in to get fire going good. (I have heat control knob already set on my setting and the fan really gets the charcoal blazing). I get my first couple logs in there minutes after that and start putting meat in while its establishing the wood coal bed. From then on it's just feed the fire and smell the goodness !! Memphis meat dust is in the recipe section go check it out.

Comment

Good advise. That is what I do too.^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Gorgeous day to be a KBQ owner!!! 30 F light winds outta the south, just a few wispy cirrus clouds in the sky, what a day. Bout to fire this baby up. Ribs are going on in 1/2 hr. Head country for the rub on two of the racks, then some Pellet Envy for the last rack.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8783.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	271575

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!! This is Long Lake. (There are about 100 lakes in Minnesota named Long Lake) The ice is about two feet thick right now. Tough to see, but you can see the ice fishing gang out there on the left. Once the ice is thick enough, they just drive to their fishing hole. smokinfatties

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          Holy smokes! LOL I see the white truck out on the ice. You guys are a different breed out there!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          No question!! smokinfatties

Would you veterans use the KBQ on an asphalt surface? I've got kind of limited surfaces available that are far from fire hazards.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for all the advice!

• JGrana
          JGrana commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks (Dale), I hadn't thought of that. I just tried it (my KBQ is in my garage). Your right, hangs like a charm! Love this forum!

• carolts
          carolts commented
          Editing a comment
          I just set the top next to the firebox on top of the cooking box. Plenty of room there.

Everyone, Fantastic advise!, That all made perfect sense and loved the pictures, Today it is 60 so you are all tuff in those freezing temp. Spenaker, now I know where that big fish came from your back yard.. Totally awesome!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          If it were 60 the last couple of days here, I'd be pulling some ribs right about now for the game!

I'm loving the growth of KBQ!! I had to celebrate

Name:	IMG_20170212_111230.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	362110

Name:	Beefology.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	362111

Name:	IMG_20170212_141421.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	362112

Name:	IMG_20170212_171918-picsay.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	362113

Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• JGrana
          JGrana commented
          Editing a comment
          You are the Beef Rib, no make that, the KBQ King. I am doing a beef rack this weekend. How much triming? I was going to cut to 2 ribs each. Did you use BBBR? What wood?!?! Inquiring minds need to know

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          JGrana I trim all the silver skin/fat that I can off the top- there is so much meat that you won't miss that 1/8 of an inch. I use BBBR and hickory/oak/apple/cherry. 1-2 ribs each works great depending on size, and give you lots of tasty bark (smaller also cuts down cook time)

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          JGrana I don't trim, I can't be bothered. HAHAHA
          I was doing some pork ribs as well so I went with Oak and hickory combo. I normally do just oak for beef.
          Salt, pepper, KBQ that's all the seasoning that I use.

Salivating.

Comment

OMG, Thanks, Ernest !!!!

Now I have drool all up in my whiskers lol!

Comment

Ok, Ernest ,@Spinaker and others. I am smoking this Presidents Day. I have ~4 1/2 lbs of dino bones, a very small flat curing for pastrami and some nice 3lb pork belly curing for bacon.
            I got a handle on cooking times for the pastrami and bacon - given the KBQ cooks a bit quicker than most, what would you swag for the beef short ribs? I know I want to get them to ~203 or so and many places say 6-8 hours. What has been your experience.
            BTW, the pastrami will be for dinner in a few days after, the bacon for weekends - but the dino ribs will be dinner that day. Hate when I miscalculate and serve up dinner too late...

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, smokinfatties has it. He's cooked more Dinos than I have. Plus he's a pretty good bird. But do make sure you give them a rest. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              JGrana I rarely get my beef ribs to 200 degrees. I go by prob test. Well marbled should take no more than 4 hours

• JGrana
              JGrana commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks chaps, i knew I came to the write place. smokinfatties, It is a 3 bone slab and was planning on cutting into single bone. More bark. Although in looking at Ernest photos, I might just leave well enough alone! I will indeed cambro for a few hours.

So, we're now ready for tomorrow's maiden voyage. Assembled, located (more or less), and a small pile of mostly oak and some hickory offcuts still in the trunk of the car. Some photos for authenticity.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by EdF; February 18, 2017, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Hell Yeah!!!! Looks great. As Histrix said, You will never see it that clean again. I am cleaning mine tonight, and its a messy job. But i gotta take advantage of the crazy warm weather we are having. EdF

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF - I've been waiting for this day for awhile. You have been killing me with anticipation! Looking forward to you first cook. Like Spinaker told me awhile back - I AM jealous.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              These are great pictures. Haha

I just hit the control box with some oven cleaner. I talked to Bill and he recommends oven cleaner. I wrapped the rotor shafts with shop towel to prevent any degreaser from entering the control box. (Very important)
            Another thing he recommended was time. I have to let this work on the build up. I let it go a little too long with out cleaning and I think I burned some pretty green wood. I have a thick black enamel on the stainless. But the oven cleaner will take it off. It already has on the fans.

Name:	KBQ Clean Up.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	277606

Comment

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              I brush mine after every cook

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah maybe I need to start doing that. Ernest

• Mastro
              Mastro commented
              Editing a comment
              Spinaker, i'm really nervous about removing the fans. I know i'm asking a dumb question, but how do you remove them? i just worried about messing with the fan shaft

KBQ-ers?

For a first cook, do I need to do anything to preclean? Thought I read something about running it empty for a half hour?

Baby backs, cold? 4 or so hours a reasonable expectation?

Thanks!

Comment

• Histrix
              Histrix commented
              Editing a comment
              It is all stainless steel so there would have been no reason to coat it with something from the factory so I just went ahead and used mine sans any cleaning/wiping beforehand. I did take a sponge to the racks first since there is food contact.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here