Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what I came home to today...
    Attached Files

Comment

• SmokeyNate
      SmokeyNate commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations! You'll love it!

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Life is a wonderful thing but it gets spectacular when you have a KBQ. đź‘Ť

Greetings guys. I've owned my KBQ for about 2 years now. Been following along most of that time and picking up all the great tips shared here. The information's been so good, I never even had a question to ask until now. I did my first sous vide smoked brisket over the weekend. It had a 48 hour soak at 155F, followed by cold plunge/refrigerator for a couple days, then about 3.5 hours in the KBQ to come up to temp. All in all, it was a great success. I loved it, guests loved it. My question for the group is what are you guys using to vacuum seal your briskets and other large cuts of meat. I've got both a Food Saver and a VacMaster VP215 ChamberVac. It took a good deal of trimming to get the brisket to a size I could fit in my chambervac and the roll width on the Food Saver doesn't seem like it would help too much. Is that just a limiting factor in how big of a brisket I can do, or do you guys have luck using bigger ziploc style bags for cooks that long?

Thanks for sharing all of ya'lls collective wisdom and experience. This forum is such a great resource that lets us be successful without too much personal trial and error.
    Attached Files

Comment

I haven’t Sous Vide any briskets, but is there a reason you can’t do the slow cook in the cryovac it came in?

Comment

Many (if not most/all) chamber vacs will allow you to vac and seal with a bag placed outside of the vac chamber. If your VP215 does you can use a food saver type of bag . You have to use a food saver type of bag - one that has the embossed channels/grid pattern. The width of your bag can only be as wide as the heat strip on your VP215 but the length of the bag can be as long as you need.

Take a look at this video:

Comment

Originally posted by Histrix View Post
          Many (if not most/all) chamber vacs will allow you to vac and seal with a bag placed outside of the vac chamber. If your VP215 does you can use a food saver type of bag . You have to use a food saver type of bag - one that has the embossed channels/grid pattern. The width of your bag can only be as wide as the heat strip on your VP215 but the length of the bag can be as long as you need.

Take a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe51RNVr79c​
          That video definitely taught me something I didn't know and will come in handy. Thanks for sharing. I'm still trying to find a way to get a strong enough seal on something with a larger opening that would allow me to sous vide food with a bigger girth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid P View Post
          I haven’t Sous Vide any briskets, but is there a reason you can’t do the slow cook in the cryovac it came in?
          That's potentially the best solution Sid. I think I've heard that approach is ok from a food safety standpoint. I was hoping to use try the smoke first, sous-vide next, smoke again method (QVQ I believe), which would require rebagging, but if I can't find another way to rebag something that big, using the original cryovac packaging should work pretty well. I didn't do any dry brine or seasoning before dropping this past one in the bath and it tasted great.

Comment

Gonna load up the KBQ this weekend.

Two pork shoulders.

A few racks of Baby back ribs.

aaaaand of course, some pork belly.

Comment

• Sid P
              Sid P commented
              Editing a comment
              Can’t wait to see the pics!

I've been wanting one for years. Pulled the trigger... WOW! Completely lives up to the hype. I'm floored by the flavor. The only regret I have is not buying one sooner. Click image for larger version

Name:	20221009_142714.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1319624 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221009_182017.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1319623 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221023_161252.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1319622 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221023_172943.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1319621 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221027_154826.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1319620

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes!!! Welcome the family!

• bchapman
              bchapman commented
              Editing a comment
              Man, those ribs look good! I'm cooking some this weekend.

Got loaded up at Costco this morning.

10 lbs of belly, 15 lbs of Pork shoulder and a few racks of ribs are going on the KBQ tomorrow.

Comment

KBQ is primed and ready to rip, meat is being loaded as we speak. Gonna be a great day for BBQ!Click image for larger version  Name:	A46A5798-39AD-46B2-B418-BC87ABC8CBD4.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.78 MB ID:	1321316 Click image for larger version  Name:	353410B4-8333-4DD3-B91B-1DA00BA87365.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.62 MB ID:	1321317
              Click image for larger version  Name:	93A18826-6783-4ACB-ADD2-74D66E9A44F6.jpg Views:	4 Size:	3.77 MB ID:	1321318

Comment

Breakdown:
                Bottom shelf: Two Costco Boneless Pork Shoulders, rubbed down with Clark Crew BBQ Royal Rib Rub.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8603.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1321415

Middle Shelf: Pork Belly (10 lbs) Rubbed with Meat Church Texas Sugar.

Name:	IMG_8604.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1321414

Top Shelf: Two Bone less Beef Ribs. Rubbed down with Big Poppa Smokers Cash Cow

Name:	IMG_8605.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1321416

Comment

• JCBBQ
                  JCBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Full load 💪💪💪. What’s your best guess on time?

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am thinking the beef ribs and pork Belly will be done at about 2 PM. The shoulders will probably take until 6 PM or so. Gotta have the beef ribs done by 2 PM cause the old lady needs them for dinner, she is working 3 PM- 11PM at the hospital. JCBBQ

The KBQ is the SpottieOttieDopaliscious Angel of smokers. Loving it today. I am running oak and cherry for this smoke.

Comment

The pork belly and boneless beef ribs are done!

Name:	IMG_8615.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	1321638 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8609.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	1321639 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8613.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1321640
                  And the shoulders are rolling right along. They are sitting at about 185 F. Gonna go wrap them now and move them inside to finish up!

Name:	IMG_8608 2.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1321641

Comment

Nice lil’ bed of coals there, eh?

Name:	26C13A1C-6673-4BAE-BF19-E410FFED8093.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1321704

Comment

Ran her hot tonight!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here