Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oldsteve This was a 12 pounder, left uncovered overnight. I ran the KBQ at 290-310. I wanted high enough temp for the skin but low enough to cook through without killing the skin. Took about 2 hours 30 minutes
    I do not preheat the KBQ

Comment

• oldsteve
      oldsteve commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ernest! I will heed your advice. I'm still amazed how easy it has been to get the temperature dialed in. Every cook I'm loving this thing more and more. Hat's off to Bill Karau for designing this wonderful machine!

Playing with fire.....

Did a rack of lamb with mesquite.
    Heating my cast iron hotplate on the KBQ for box for the Sear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151206_174413.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	360805

Name:	IMG_20151206_175431.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	360806

Ready to cut up

Name:	IMG_20151206_180611.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	360807

A pile of lamb pops

Name:	Meat pops.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	360808

Plated with chimichurri sauce and potato bites

Name:	Lamb plate.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	360809

Good eats!
    Last edited by Ernest; August 11, 2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker Serving temp was 135. I seared it at 125.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip my friend. Hope you guys have a wonderful holiday. Thanks for all your help this past year. You have been a huge help!! Ernest

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker That's what The Pit is for. You're welcome anytime

Oh!!! Had to try BBBR on salmon. Goodness gracious that was fantastic.
    But ........

Name:	IMG_20151206_172818.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	360811

Name:	IMG_20151206_184133 (1).jpg
Views:	407
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	360812

Name:	IMG_20151206_173806.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	360813

Name:	Short rack.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	360814
    Last edited by Ernest; August 11, 2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Excellent thread ya'll got going here. I will be buying a KBQ within a few months. But then again, we'll see. I'm horribly impulsive. It's really difficult for me to be "Financially Responsible" when I want something this bad.

How bad do I want one? We wantsss our Precioussss bad.

Comment

Syko I waited and waited and waited and researched. No regrets Whatsoever. A treat to myself for this year.

Comment

What temp did you perform the "cooking" stage of the reverse sear for the lamb and the steaks?

Also, as the grease drips out of the box, does it drip from the corners? If that's the case, I could simply catch the grease in a couple of tin cans.

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            My first steak and lamb was at 150 degrees. I had all afternoon to experiment.
            The last rack was at 220 because I had a rack of beef short ribs.

I use a baking sheet as a drip catcher when it's loaded. Or a small aluminum foil pan for small cooks.
            I have used a drip catcher on the outside by the corners. I don't have a preference,

Originally posted by Syko View Post
          What temp did you perform the "cooking" stage of the reverse sear for the lamb and the steaks?

Also, as the grease drips out of the box, does it drip from the corners? If that's the case, I could simply catch the grease in a couple of tin cans.
          I use a standard stainless pan to catch the grease from mine. It fits perfectly under both sides. Plus when you storing it, you can just slide it in the KBQ for more compact storage. And it cleans out really easily.

Also don't wait.....just buy. I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did.

Comment

Syko, you're in the enviable position of living within driving distance of the"KBQ Factory". You would save money on shipping and get to meet the man himself, Bill Karau. I can honestly say that if I had bought the KBQ first, I wouldn't have a garage full of all my other cookers. They all work fine, but the KBQ is in a class of its own. This would be a great time to be impulsive!

Comment

Yes I will be driving to meet THE MAN and pick up the KBQ. I'm really happy I joined this forum. Such a rich resource of information. I wouldn't have known about the KBQ, otherwise. I'm really trying to be be responsible and wait until late January.

Feels like self inflicted torture. I keep thinking about all the easy smoking I could be doing while off for Christmas. And to top it all off, you guys are echoing what the voices in my head keep saying, "Get it now, get it now!" God bless ya.

Simmering in the juices of anticipation can be delicious and miserable at the same time.

Comment

Well the game didn't go as I wanted it too. But the Hawks played well and we had some awesome Turkey Legs off the KBQ!!!! You guys gotta try these sometime. I used Meatheads Disney Turkey Leg Recipe. It was super easy. I made 6 batches and put two legs in each batch, each batch was held in a one gallon ziplock. Super easy, fast and clean. Here are the results.
                Halfway Through the cook.

Name:	IMG_4248.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	126208 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4251.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	126209 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4252.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	126210 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4249.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	126211
                Last edited by Spinaker; December 8, 2015, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Looks awesome Spinaker!

Comment

I know some of you experience the "bite thru" skin on the chicken... Are you able to achieve that with turkey?

Comment

Originally posted by Syko View Post
                    I know some of you experience the "bite thru" skin on the chicken... Are you able to achieve that with turkey?
                    I would say that it was as close as you could have gotten to bite through. I think with the skin being thicker, its is much tougher to achieve. But this skin was as crispy as could be. You can see on some of them the skin broke open.

Comment

Syko I don't stress over bite through skin or smoke ring. For turkey legs, my main objective was juicy flesh but I got pretty good skin. That's icing on the legs.

Comment

Yeah, they certainly looked delish. I started drooling and I'm not even hungry.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here