Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jlazar 99.99% of the time I'm reaching for the KBQ first. Even during the week, I have to restrain myself from using it. Here's why:
    1. Flavor. There's nothing out there that can produce such flavor with zero effort on my part. (besides me throwing a log every now and then)
    2. It's as easy as lighting a fire, getting it going, turn the knob to whatever temp I want to cook. That's it. I'm not fighting to get it to temp range, or shooting for clear smoke etc, none of that. It gets to temp within 15 minutes.
    3. I can (and do quite often) finish cooking a hunk of meat, say ribs, drop the temp to 145 and hold them there while I do other things. I have found that a full firebox will provide heat for an hour and a half before I totally run out of coals.

If you had a KBQ, you'd supplement the arsenal with a weber grill+SnS. Only because there will be days when you can't be messing with feeding the fire.

Oh I'm sure you have seen my post on reverse seared steak, lamb etc. Use the cookbox for the low heat and sear right on the fire box.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the WSM 18.5 with a Digiq DX2. Wouldn't that replace the weber/SnS?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      It would but you can't do traditional grilling i.e. burgers on the WSM. Still need a WARP 10 set up

Ernest, back on page three, your "Hooked on Classics" chicken looks awesome. Approximately how long did you go? That's looking like my next cook. I can smell it already!

Comment

oldsteve I think that was my first chicken. I did set it up to test Max temp. Got to about 340. BUT when I got to check the IT on Chicken, it was 170 degrees at the Hour mark. Chicken cooks pretty fast

Comment

• oldsteve
        oldsteve commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for reminding me about how much faster the KBQ cooks. Even though my pellet cooker has a fan running all the time, it doesn't cook convection style like the KBQ. I forgot to ask if you used a rub on your first chicken? It came out picture perfect.

I wanted to do ribs over the past weekend but got rained in. So here we go....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151201_132736-picsay.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	360796

Name:	IMG_20151201_132852.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	360798

Close up. No sauce or spritzing

Name:	kbq close up.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	360797
      Last edited by Ernest; August 11, 2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Tim E
        Tim E commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look tremendous!

I made some killer KBQ ribs on Thanksgiving. These were just the appetizers. (I have four brothers and the smallest one 6' 4"/ 240) The Ribs were...like...crazy good. What is more than infinitely amazing? The flavor was out of this world. But I will let the picture do the talking, its too bad that you can't let the taste and aroma do the same for you.

Name:	IMG_4245-2.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	125040
      Last edited by Spinaker; December 1, 2015, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Unless you experience the smell for yourself, you can't really describe that wonderful fragrance that is surrounding you. After one cook, I'm hooked. Imagine in a stadium if they had the KBQ smell wafting up underneath the seats instead of their usual burgers and hot dogs. There would be a stampede for the concession stand. Now I know what you guys have been talking about!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah its awesome. No doubt

Can you blame me for trying to get a second KBQ to replace all my smokers? LOL

Comment

Fine looking Ribs you guys! I got some waiting to cook...just looking for time

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to see you back at it, smarkley !!!

• smarkley
            smarkley commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks richinlbrg ... I am slow and need help, but still cooking when I can!

Keep going, smarkley!

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
            Can you blame me for trying to get a second KBQ to replace all my smokers? LOL
            I am considering doing the same. Why would I cook on anything else?

Comment

LOL!! I totally understand.

Comment

Btw.....

Name:	image_44385.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	360799
                Last edited by Ernest; August 11, 2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What all is in that salad?

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Braised Beluga lentils, carrots, onions and arugula.

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you. It looks delicious.

See the bad thing about all of this, and with David Parrish steak pics, is y'all make it real hard for a guy like me to post ribs, steak, chicken, etc pics anymore. Methinks this is all part of your evil plan.

Comment

Ain't nothing wrong with the food you cook Huskee

Comment

More questions for Ernest. The turkey you did on your Nov. 25 post; how big, how long, and what temperature. I'm assuming you were running at max temp on the controller. I have a 13# one thawing out right now. It didn't look like you spatchcocked yours but I plan on doing mine that way. I did a whole chicken yesterday with minimal prep (right out of the bag with no overnight dry brining). Naturally I didn't get the beautiful skin color you achieved. The whole cook took 1hr. 14min. I didn't preheat the KBQ. As soon as I had a nice bed of coals I put the chicken in and turned the controller to maximum overdrive. In 17 min. I was at my max temp of 356°. The rest of the cook cycled between 342°-353°. What a machine! Now since I've got my KBQ, the weather has decided to start raining again after a 4 year drought! Just my luck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here