Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm back with more questions. According to the KBQ owners manual, its recommended that you do your cleanup after its stone cold. Supposedly it's easier to deal with grease cleanup. I figure you guys are the ones with personal experience dealing with cleaning up any messes. It just seems too easy, that all you have to do is a little scraping, than hose it ought once or twice! That would be great if it's true.
    Last edited by oldsteve; November 19, 2015, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      It is too easy.

oldsteve I eat first then clean it. I use bar keepers friend on a steel wool thingamajig, a little soap, scrub and hose it down. Takes no more than 15 minutes.

Comment

• oldsteve
      oldsteve commented
      Editing a comment
      Is the little thingamajig you use the same stainless steel one they recommend in the owners manual? I think I have one I've never used under the kitchen sink right now. Now all I have to do is order a KBQ so I can get cleaning!

I agree with Ernest the KBQ is super easy to clean up... pull the racks, scrub em down... clean you drip catcher -- yeah I agree, about 15 minutes

Cleaning is a non-issue... actually when I think about the whole thing the only issue I see is making sure you have wood, which is really another non-issue if you have a source.

Comment

Ordered my KBQ on Friday the 20th. Much to my surprise, I just received an E-mail from Bill notifying me of todays FedEx shipment of my KBQ. I figured with this being the start of the holiday season, it would take a couple of weeks longer than usual to get it. Miracles do happen!!! It's supposed to be here this Sat. the 28th. Yippee! I'm glad now that I ordered the Black & Decker Alligator Loppers last Friday from Amazon. It's being delivered today. Sunday I bought an electric logsplitter at Harbor Freight and than picked up a stack of Almond firewood on the way home. I'm ready to light em up. Thanks to everybody for answering all my questions about the KBQ!

Comment

• Tim E
        Tim E commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats!

• SaturdayShoppe
        SaturdayShoppe commented
        Editing a comment
        Which electric log splitter. I am on my 3rd season with the Homelite from the depot. I split red oak and it works just as well as the gas log splitter i would rent.

• oldsteve
        oldsteve commented
        Editing a comment
        I've split less than a quarter cord of wood on it since I got it on Sunday. One of the negatives in the reviews is the working height. No problem for me. I rolled it up my loading ramps and used it on the tailgate of my truck. So far it works fine for splitting the KBQ cooking wood. One minor annoyance is; when you let go of the handle it fully retracts the cylinder. I got a piece of scrap 4"X4" to use as a pusher block. The wood I'm using is only around 16-18" long. The splitter itself seems to be well made. Regular price is $299.00 but everybody always uses their 20-25 percent off coupons.

Amazing deals on this 5 Ton Log Splitter at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

You're going to love it oldsteve

Comment

Not sure why it was taken off the Gold giveaway list. No lag in production

Comment

oldsteve Welcome to the Brother Hood of the KBQ!!! I love that our numbers are expanding. Make sure we see plenty of pics of the new rig, both before and after the action.

Comment

• oldsteve
            oldsteve commented
            Editing a comment
            The only time pictures get taken is when my nephew is here. I don't own a camera or have a cell phone with a picture thingy in it. Mine is only good for calling AAA.

• oldsteve
            oldsteve commented
            Editing a comment
            One thing I'm curious about is what your invoice number is? I'm # 1321. I was trying to figure out how many pits have been sold since you bought yours in early November and when I bought mine.

• smarkley
            smarkley commented
            Editing a comment
            oldsteve Congrats!!! Wow... 4 guys now with KBQs Awesome!

Do you have a good source for wood???

I can't find my invoice number... so I am no help LOL

smarkley I think we're more than 4 of us. Had some picked up with the Gold Giveaway.

Comment

• smarkley
            smarkley commented
            Editing a comment
            Ernest ... oh yeah forgot about those guys... wish they would post once in awhile though... jeeesh

Thanks smarkley! I do have a source for oak, almond, apple, and cherry. This wood dealer sells firewood and also cooking wood to restaurants. He has several widths available. He also has a huge pile of "pick and pull" wood if you are willing to hand pick it. Unfortunately I don't have the energy to do this anymore. I wish I would have known the KBQ was coming this Saturday, I would have bought something to cook on it. I really don't want to go out and mix it up with all the crazy shoppers right now! Another KBQ'er. I ran across this member on a different post that has quite the arsenal.
          Stephen from Houston
          Last edited by oldsteve; November 30, 2015, 04:50 PM.

Comment

KBQ lasagna.
            I just finished a Turkey for kinsfolk kinsfolk. Well the KBQ was already fired up so I thought "why not"

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20151125_143116.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	360787
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image_44376.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	360788
            Oh yeah!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	gplus726695595 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	360790
            Last edited by Ernest; August 11, 2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

You're amazing Ernest! If it wasn't for all your wonderful pictures and writeups, I would have never been aware of the KBQ and what it can do in the right hands. I'm really looking forward to getting mine.

Comment

You're welcome anytime oldsteve . That's what The Pit is for.

Comment

Did first cook today on my new KBQ. As a practice run decided to do something real easy. 4# chuck roast for pulled beef. I can't believe how much fun it was feeding the flame for 5 1/2 hours during the cook. It actually felt like I was doing something. Doing the same thing on my pellet grill is about as exciting as watching paint dry. I can see why the other guys who previously purchased the KBQ are so pumped. This thing is pure fun! As a bonus, this undoubtedly was the best pulled beef I've ever made. There is something about cooking on an open flame that is mesmerizing. I love it!

Comment

Excellent! Can you explain the Aroma? What wood did you use? oldsteve

Comment

• oldsteve
                      oldsteve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I used Almond. As far as the aroma; it just surrounds you. It's there but not overpowering. It puts me in a good mood. Any shrink's out there are welcome to comment. Maybe this is a case of aroma therapy. All I know is my other grills don't produce this wonderful smell.

• smarkley
                      smarkley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      oldsteve Ernest Spinaker the one thing I notice when I am cooking is the aroma... it is soooo awesome... when I am cooking with the KBQ, I keep looking over at my wife and saying... "Do you smell that??? It smells GUUUUUUD!"

Ernest. As the resident KBQ expert with the most experience, I have a question for you. I know you have other equipment than the KBQ. What percent of the time do you use the KBQ vs something else? I am not asking about something you might decide during the day to do for supper. But you main cooks that you plan ahead. What else do you use for those cooks and why vs the KBQ. I guess I am asking if I had a KBQ would I ever need anything else than a gas or charcoal grill for quick cooks. Also, I think you should team with Meathead and provide a chapter of KBQ recipes for his upcoming book. That pasta looks fantastic.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here