Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smarkley and Spinaker you all are having way to much fun

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      DWCowles Stick Burning Rawks... of course you already know that!

By The Way... I still want a Lang someday!

MAN! I wish I could join this KBQ parade. I had plumbing issues at the house.

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest Total Bummer man... I hate plumbing issues ugh!

ugh forgot... I did a Kurobuta Ham, too... here is a pic... not much too look at but I tried a little sliver and WOW... good!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ham.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	121626

red eye gravy in my future!

Comment

I have a question for all you lucky owners; what accessories have you purchased specifically for your KBQ? Also, does the KBQ come with the wheels or are they optional? I plan on purchasing when I get my tax refund.

Comment

oldsteve the wheels come with it... I didn't buy anything extra... the only thing I needed that did not come with it is a baking sheet for the bottom to catch extra grease.

Comment

• oldsteve
        oldsteve commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the quick reply! Now I want to wish time away so I can order one. One more question...are the slide out racks made of stainless steel?

• KBQ
        KBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        They are passivated 201 SS

oldsteve no extras except the drip catcher. Oh I got a weber cover for it. Posted somewhere on this thread.

Comment

Where's Spinaker with our brisket?

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          Good Question... he just stopped posting for some reason

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
        Where's Spinaker with our brisket?
        Sorry guys I got distracted with doing all the other stuff for the party. I only took one picture of the finished project, I tried to get one of the finished product sliced up but it was gone just too damn fast. The flavor was unreal. I got a really nice black bark that formed and there was a Deep smoke flavor, which was mellow but strong at the same time. The pull test was passed with flying colors. This baby was perfect and the point just melted in in your mouth. I sliced up the flat and chopped the point. Slices were eaten as is, while the point was chopped for sandwiches. I have never made a brisket this good in my life. It really was astounding. And the awesome thing is, that anyone can do run this thing. If you can build a fire, you can make crazy good BBQ in this rig.

For next time I am going to try it without wrapping. I just want to see what happens. With the amount of moisture that was in this one, I wouldn't think it would even be necessary. Ernest , smarkley , KBQ do you guys wrap when your cooking on the KBQ?

The KBQ ran like a dream. I had one issue with the fire towards the end of the cook, but that was my fault, I was working on some other stuff and it almost went out. I added some more lump the the firebox and the fire recovered in no time. I am can't even describe the taste that this sucker kicks out. I am more than happy with my purchase.

Name:	IMG_4239.JPG
Views:	539
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	121860 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4240.JPG
Views:	521
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	121861
        Last edited by Spinaker; November 16, 2015, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Spinaker beautiful cook, time to KBQ some STL ribs..
          I wasn't crazy when I said that it's the best smoker on earth. I do not wrap anything cooked on the KBQ

I don't bother with bringing it up to temp. I build my fire, when it's ready, I load the cookbox, then set my temp.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
            Spinaker beautiful cook, time to KBQ some STL ribs..
            I wasn't crazy when I said that it's the best smoker on earth. I do not wrap anything cooked on the KBQ

I don't bother with bringing it up to temp. I build my fire, when it's ready, I load the cookbox, then set my temp.
            You were not lying my friend. This is the best smoker I have ever ran and probably the best smoker on earth. v
            I realized after I got the fire going that I don't need to get her up to temp. Just load the damn meat right away. This thing just rolls right along.
            Two of my brothers live out side of Minnesota now. (San Fransisco and NYC) And they are just dying because they wanna see this beast running. They really can't wait to get back to Minnesota to see it. I asked one of them what kind of meat they would like me to make when they are back home and he just replied, "Brisket, Ribs, chickens, prime rib, Pork shoulders, pork belly, beef ribs, turkey, venison, salmon,....etc."

Its fun to have other people excited about this thing. It makes me feel a bit more sane. z

Comment

A couple more questions for you KBQ owners. Are the 6' Maverick probes long enough to use after you fish them through the two holes above the cooking chamber doors? Are you able to set the Maverick above the cooking chamber, say on a hot pad or something similar, or is it too hot? Last question...Do you recommend buying a couple of extra cooking grids? If I wasn't having a senior moment at the time, it seems like in an earlier post, Ernest said He would.

Comment

oldsteve No they will not fit through the hole on the top of the cook box. This scared me when I was setting up my first cook. Here is what I did, and I think it works even better. I run the probes down the Louver box. Pull the wires to the side, then place the firebox back on top of the KBQ. The wires and probe can then come out of the top louver and you are good to go. Then i put a piece of wood on top of the cook box for the thermo box to sit on. It will get warm but I had mine on there for 10 + hours with no problems. In the picture below you can see the thermo with the block of wood. If you look closely, you can see the probes running down to the louver box. I can take some more pictures showing you exactly how you do it if you'd like. I will post them later tonight, when i get the chance to get at it.. Stay tuned to this thread.

Name:	IMG_4235.JPG
Views:	540
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	122073
                Last edited by Spinaker; November 17, 2015, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• oldsteve
                  oldsteve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for going to a lot of trouble! I think you nailed my questions.The picture definitely shows what you're talking about. I'm sure I'll be pestering you guys with a bunch more questions before I order mine. Thanks again!

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No problem, Keep them coming. Gives us all a chance to learn from each other. I did the same (and still do) to smarkley and Ernest.

• RayBecue
                  RayBecue commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Spinaker Reviving this old thread. Is this still how you use the maverick probes in your kbq? Also, i heard you on the barrel cooker fireside chat. At this point do you find yourself using your kbq or pbc more often?

oldsteve The 4 cooking shelves can handle 8 full racks of STL ribs, 4 briskets or 8 butts. I Unless you're cooking for an army or catering services, there's no need for extra shelves.
                As far as mavericks probes, I haven't really messed with them much, I use my thermopop for food. I can set the KBQ temp to my liking without the use of a thermometer. I did use one on my first few cooks so I have a pretty good idea where to set the knob.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was thinking the same thing with my thermos after my second cook. I have pretty good handle on knowing where my temps are at by setting the knob. It gave me some piece of mind for the first few cooks. It may take a while before I completely get away from using them. Ernest

I just picked up a whole pick up load of Pin Oak today from the local golf course. Its still needs to be split but, I think I will cut to KBQ size then split the logs. When you get them down to KBQ size they really split easy. Having to cut and split wood may just off set the extra calories that I will be consuming when cooking all the killer BBQ on the KBQ. (but probably not)

Comment

Spinaker Its just protein......hahahaha

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here