Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Best friends I've never met." Spinaker I think you may have just provided The Pit with a new tag line!

Comment

Well the first cook is in the books. That was by far the best chicken that I have ever had and/or made in my life. Juice as could be and the flavor was incredible. The cook took about 2 hours at an average of about 265 F. The KBQ is for real.
      I have brisket on the docket for tomorrow morning. I can't wait to see how that turns out. Gonna be getting up early to get that beast rolling but I have a feeling that it will be well worth it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4228.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	121482

Comment

You did that chicken justice Spinaker ! Tell us about the aroma!!

Comment

Duuude, its unreal. The aroma is incredible. Sweet and smokey. I used oak and some hickory, the smoke was in no way over powering. It just kinda hangs in the background but its smokey in every sense of the word. Its really hard to explain. The chicken was juicy and tender as can be. And the skin was totally bite through. I have never had chicken like that before in my life. I'm not exaggerating. I am beyond impressed with this thing. To be honest I don't know why I haven't bought one sooner. I can't believe what I was missing. Thanks for your help Ernest

Comment

Spinaker YESSIR!! It's impossible to over smoke anything on the KBQ.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I was in the kitchen by myself when I first tasted it.... and just yelled, "LETS GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" Hahahaha, I stopped and looked around, oh yeah I live alone. Hahahahaha. Ernest

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              HAHAHA!

Spinaker that looks amazing. Best friends you never met is right!! I will be getting one of these probably in the new year. I had negotiations with the Finance Committee and she OK'd it for late next year but I managed to sweet talk her into Spring Now I just have to figure out how to get it up here. Bill didn't seem overly willing to get it across the border .. hidden costs and such. I might have to come down and pick it up somewhere! That is just awesome!

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Well I'm in Minnesota, so if you need a drop point, you are more than welcome to have it shipped here if you'd like. You can then pick it up at my place. Although Saskatchewan is a ways away from us, at least its closer to the border!! It will be worth the trip believe me!!

• smarkley
              smarkley commented
              Editing a comment
              I probably dont need to tell you this.. but for a stick burner, the KBQ is an incredible deal price wise! The only thing close is 'the Good One' and I think the KBQ has that beat, big time! Of course, I may be just a 'little' biased.. hahahahaha!

I got my fire going this morning at about 4:45 am. Everything went like clock work. Half a chimney of lump charcoal, then four small logs of oak. I added the Briz at 5:05 AM and it cruising right along. Can't wait for a whole day of feeding that beast sweet Minnesota hard wood!!

Name:	IMG_4230.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	121504 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4235.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	121519
            Last edited by Spinaker; November 14, 2015, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• smarkley
              smarkley commented
              Editing a comment
              Feel the Burn!!!

Beautiful...

****Update****
            Here what the brisket is looking like after about 2 1/2 hours. It at about 135 F internal. Average Pit temp is about 240 F. I might back it off a little bit and cook more towards 230 F.
            I would say its coming along nicely.

Name:	IMG_4236.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	121526Here it is at 165F internal/ 6 hours 15 mins into the cook. She's stalling alright.

Name:	IMG_4238.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	121549
            Last edited by Spinaker; November 14, 2015, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Wow that's looking good! Seems to be cooking quickly? Fat cap up or down Spinaker

Comment

Cap down right now. I might rotate here in a bit. I wanted it down because the heat comes from the bottom in the KBQ. How do you usually do it? cdd315
                I wonder what smarkley and Ernest do for their briskets on the KBQ
                Last edited by Spinaker; November 14, 2015, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• cdd315
                  cdd315 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same, fat cap to where the heat is. In the egg and UDS it would be down. Haven't tried one in the kettle yet but I'd imagine that would be cap up with a SnS.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  cdd315 yep, cap up in a kettle with SnS.

kurobuta short ribs and ham... all from Snake River Farms

I am teaching my wife how to do this... she is pretty fired up hahahahaha

Name:	fireup.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	121574 Click image for larger version

Name:	shortribsandham.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	121575
                Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Double like my brother. This could be the best therapy you can get!!! smarkley

• smarkley
                  smarkley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hahaha so easy a guy with a stroke can doit !

My wife just took this pic... she is really fired up hahahahaha

Name:	feedtheflame.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	121577

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is a beautiful thing. Looks like she knows what she's doing.

• jlazar
                  jlazar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Is it normal for the flames to be as high as shown in the picture? Or is this before the fan is operating?

Holy crap the smell is incredible coming off this thing..

Do you smell that? It smells GUUUUD!

Comment

• smarkley
                  smarkley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The neighbors dog just came pver looking for a hand out.... Lmao!

Spinaker what kind wood did you use?

For reference I am using hazelnut

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  smarkley I was using Oak, hickory and Ash. But mostly Oak. That stuff coals up really nice. The Ash, not so much.

Kurobuta Short Ribs!

I am worn out... might need a nap before I eat LOL

Name:	shortribs.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	121617

Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sweet.

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice cook smarkley ...

When your body is repairing itself you tire easily. I think you will find frequent naps very comforting and required.

• smokinfatties
                  smokinfatties commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have been meaning to buy these from SRF to try, what did you think?

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here