Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151108_171223.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	360779

Name:	IMG_20151108_172851.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	360780

Name:	IMG_20151108_174220-picsay.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	360781

Name:	IMG_20151108_174620.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	360782

I'll leave it at that!
    Last edited by Ernest; August 11, 2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful!

KBQ is en route my brothers. I am expecting it on Friday. I think I am going to do a chicken cook for the virgin run on Friday night, just to see how she performs. Then I am going to go against my better judgment and make a brisket on Saturday for the Iowa/Minnesota game at 7:00. I feel like I should get a few more cooks under my belt before I go for the big dog but, I feel like I can handle it. Anyone wanna give me some reasons to talk me out of it? (my other KBQ brothers or anyone else) Am I being crazy here? Or is the KBQ learning curve short enough that I can pick up where I left off with the PBC?
    Last edited by Spinaker; November 9, 2015, 10:58 PM.

Comment

My virgin cook was beef and pig ribs. So brisket is not far off. LOL.
      What time do you plan to start the brisket?

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
        My virgin cook was beef and pig ribs. So brisket is not far off. LOL.
        What time do you plan to start the brisket?
        Ernest I was thinking about throwing it on at about 6:30 or 7 am. What are your thoughts?

Comment

Spinaker a full packer for 7 PM dinner? 6 am start is a little to start.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            How long does a full packer take in the KBQ? Should I figure on the same timing as the PBC? Ernest

Spinaker I had a small 10 pounder that took about 10 hours at 210-220 degrees. PBS temps would be in 250-275 range. You would have to be cooking by 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
            Spinaker I had a small 10 pounder that took about 10 hours at 210-220 degrees. PBS temps would be in 250-275 range. You would have to be cooking by 6.
            Damn thats what i was thinking. Oh well there are worse things in the world than having to get up early to cook some awesome food.

Comment

My KBQ has landed!!!! Picked it up at Fed EX today. I just got done with assembly. Unfortunately, the weather here is not cooperating tonight. It's really windy out and I don't want to start the whole place on fire. I also want calmer conditions to make sure that I am operating it properly. I do have one question for the other KBQers out there. Ernest smarkley The firebox comes with a lid with an eye bolt on top. Do I put that on top of the firebox while its running? I was thinking that this would be a spark arrestor but I wasn't sure. That would come in handy for nights like tonight. I just haven't seen you guys use it before so I wasn't sure.
              I am so pumped to have this baby in my possession. Its a great day. I have a few pics of my assembled pit. She does look a bit cold with no fire but there will be plenty of chances.

Name:	IMG_4201.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	121308 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4200.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	121309 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4204.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	121310 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4198.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	121311

Comment

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                Congrats Spinaker on your new smoker. Can't wait to see pics of your cooks.

• smarkley
                smarkley commented
                Editing a comment
                Grats Spinaker -- gonna have fun now!

Spinaker the lid is a spark arrester plus it helps when you're using the dirty smoke option so you're not constantly pulling in cool air.

Comment

Still gonna do that Brisket on Saturday. I am planning on starting the fire at 5 then putting the meat on a 6. I am hoping that will give me enough time to eat at halftime of the 7:00 PM game. It's gonna be a long one but should be a great time. How does that time frame sound to you? Ernest smarkley

Comment

You should be alright. Start your fire with a bed of lump charcoal. Do not, under any circumstance, use briquettes to start the fire. Ash issues

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gotcha, I bought some Green Egg Lump the other day.

Well, I've Got my first fire rolling. Everything is going well. (I think) I've got a good bed of coals rolling. I used half a chimney of lump to get her going. I started with two logs of hickory. Added one after about 1/2 hour. I threw the bird on about 45 mins after getting her up too temp. This thing is so awesome!! I can't say enough about Bill Karu's service. Everything arrived in perfect condition. Shipped early and fast. I emailed him last night to let him know I got everything. He got back to me in about 20 mins.

Name:	IMG_4217.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	121444 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4215.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	121445 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4219.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	121446

Comment

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is one nice cooker. Congrats!

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Haha, Thanks guys. I am happy to join the stick burner crew. Even if she's a bit unconventional. Huskee David Parrish I can't get over how cool this thing is. I owe it all to the folks in here at the Pit. Best friends I've never met.

• smarkley
                  smarkley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Feeding the Flame... Beautiful!

Spinaker YEAAAH BUDDY!! Check the bird at 40 minute mark. It cooks FAST.
                What temp are you running?

Comment

Ernest , I'd say that I am averaging at about 265 F, I am about an hour and a half in. She's at 135 f internal. Running well. I am running over smoke right now, per the directions that Bill gave me. Man this thing is fun!!!

Comment

You're going for that real smoked bird huh? Spinaker

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here