Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for reference, I bought my KBQ used last year and the wife was a little hesitant... its a lot of money and I live in Michigan so high winds and low temps are common. I still love the thing, have 0 regrets, and have won my wife over. I use it a LOT, and my friends and family are very appreciative. Over Christmas my father in law (who is quite the cook himself) randomly brought up my ribs and told me they were competition grade. Shout out KBQ thread posters! If you're looking to pick one up... DO IT

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	482C64D1-B50E-4BC9-BF4B-267F98856BF9.png
Views:	792
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	1164455 Click image for larger version

Name:	E5FEC64A-A851-438E-949C-9A53339B2EC6.jpeg
Views:	784
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	1164454 Click image for larger version

Name:	8CC2885B-198B-4277-A8A7-EA6B30FD7C07.jpeg
Views:	792
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	1164453 As seen on Instagram… the definitive KBQ accessory

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Bruceski44 Agree. Also, there were no knots in that piece. I think I'll stick with my two 'Kindling Crackers.' But, pretty cool to see.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I will stick with my axe and maul. This thing is cool though. I feel like I would eventually bend or break those flanges.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Firstly.... I see a band aid in his finger.

Secondly. How the heck is he growing weed on his roof without the DEA finding it?

Here is another option from Harbor Freight. You can frequently find coupons on their site. I paid around $90 for mine about 2 years ago. I use it before my Worx JawSaw.

Comment

I'm intrigued by all of these contraptions. I cut my logs to red bull can length with a chop saw and use a framing hammer and a sharp hatchet to split cheap and really easy. I guess utah oak just isn't as split resistant as in other parts of the country 🤷‍♂️ But I do like gadgets that one is just not for me.

Comment

• badf00d
          badf00d commented
          Editing a comment
          I get a lot of hickory, and wow is it it hard.

Most weekends the weather has been bad. Today it's snowing but yesterday it was sunny and 62 degrees. So yesterday was the time for ribs.

Name:	20220212_151105.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	1174326

Name:	20220212_151127.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	1174327

Somewhere in all the pages of this thread I posted recipes for my rub and injections. Yesterday I changed the rub recipe. The Kosher salt I ground in the coffee grinder and I changed the finely ground black pepper to tablespoons.

Frigate’s Rub Ver. 1.1

1 cup turbinado sugar finely ground in coffee grinder.
        ½ cup granulated sugar.
        ½ cup Kosher salt finely ground in coffee grinder.
        1 tablespoon onion powder.
        3 tablespoons granulated garlic
        2 tablespoons cayenne pepper.
        2 tablespoons finely ground black pepper.
        2 teaspoons dry mustard.
        ¼ cup mild chili powder.
        1 teaspoon ground cumin.
        ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons paprika.
        Mix all completely in bowl.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great! And thanks for sharing the goods for your rub!

As noted here I picked up a KBQ on Saturday. It needs a good cleaning and I think is a little older as it didn't come with a thermometer or firebox grate. I'm trying to read through this thread and I am a little more than halfway through, but have few questions (maybe I'll find the answers in the next 40 pages or have already missed them):
        • Is there any way to get the door hinge and leg/handle mods since BBQ_Bill has too much other stuff on his plate these days? Are they just standard hardware I could recreate myself if I knew a few more details from one of you that has them?
        • How do you clean the firebox, i.e. under the separator? It appears you lift the separator and slide it out the slots on the side, but when I tried that it wanted to get stuck. I want to confirm before I force things.
        • What are the best hooks to get for hanging chickens and such? I don't have a PBC, so are there better ones to get or should I find the PBC hooks somewhere?
        • Any other accessories that are must haves? I have a cover and full sized steam pan on the way and already have a Kindling Cracker XL and Dewalt cordless chainsaw for dealing with firewood. I picked up a set of welding gloves the other day.
        Tagging a few of you KBQ owners I remember and know are very active: ComfortablyNumb 58limited Spinaker Dr. Pepper

Comment

glitchy I posted these in 2019. How to deal with the hot lid. With a little practice this becomes easy.

RE: the coal tray, I agree it is a little sticky, but you won't hurt anything by knocking it a little. After everything has cooled down I take that out, and dump the cold ash into our yard waste bin or toss it into garden beds where we don't have acid loving plants (ie, no blueberries, rhododendrons, etc.)
        I suppose I can look for where it's sticking, and hammer it a little? KBQ ?

Name:	IMG_0734.jpeg
Views:	613
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	1193236 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0735.jpeg
Views:	623
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	1193235 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0736.jpeg
Views:	616
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1193237

Comment

And, glitchy I just found this from 2021:

From @BBQ_Bill
          Definitely makes cleaning easier. Just slide the ferrule to the side, pull the rod out, remove the door.

5/16" OD

I and others had hoped that Bill KBQ would have incorporated this into the original manufacturing. Simple, effective, makes cleaning easier.

I don't pressure wash. I use a paint scraper to push any debris into a pile and wipe it up with a paper towel.

Be careful not to cut your fingers on the sides of the rack hangers attached to the sides.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...59#post1101959

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_155030.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	52.3 KB ID:	1193255
          Last edited by Dr. Pepper; March 21, 2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            NM, this is a way better idea. but get those pins I mentioned above to have on hand in case you loose the door rod or coupler. Can help in a pinch.

Still working on my handle mod but my door is now removable and she’s all cleaned up waiting for a calm day. Tried vinegar for the fans and door the other day, today I went oven cleaner and pressure washer for the cabinet. I won’t be horsing around with vinegar again.

Before in this post.
          Attached Files

Comment

After
            Attached Files

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              HawkerXP just some of their hooks to use in the kbq, kbq, kbq.

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice clean up. I have a serving pan like that. Never thought of trying it in my KBQ.

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              TripleB I picked it up based on the KBQ site listed accessories. Thought it might make clean up easier ongoing. Though I wish I knew thy made shallower ones before I bought it.

glitchy Next time you clean try ZEP heavy duty hand cleaner. Wipe on and wipe off = clean stainless.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I use Heavy Duty Oven cleaner. Having the casutic makes a huge difference. It cleans up like brand new, pretty amazing. Gotta have the HEAVY DUTY stuff though. Then that stainless shines up like brand new.

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              Spinaker I’m probably going to try the ZEP for less toxic, but agree with you. I used my GrillGun to warm up the cookbox a bit and sprayed it with Break-up, let it set a bit and sprayed it again, then after 15-20 mins hit it with the pressure washer, all but a couple small spots went from black to shiny like new.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              HD is not toxic, but it can bite if you do not wear gloves. Nothing eats through that grease like the Heavy Duty stuff. But yeah, the ZEP/D-limonene works pretty well too. glitchy

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
            KBQ Chikin, yes it's hanging

Name:	IMG_20150830_152949.jpg
Views:	1585
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	359627
            Very cool!
            Two questions please: What's the advantage of hanging? Where can we get the things you used to hang that bird?
            JD

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              They’re hooks from his Pit Barrel Cooker, at least I’m fairly sure. PBCsells them separately on their site.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Those are from Pit Barrel cooker. When you hang the meat is self basting.

Originally posted by jjdbike View Post

Very cool!
            Two questions please: What's the advantage of hanging? Where can we get the things you used to hang that bird?
            JD
            These are from pit barrel cooker. Some advantage to hanging, cooks much faster and I better color for some reason and I just love playing while I cook LOL
            Last edited by Ernest; April 21, 2022, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              That chicken looks great. I thought a chicken on a Vortex inside a Weber was the best, but I'm gonna have to give the KBQ hanging chicken technique a try.

Just a random KBQ shot. That is all.

Name:	Image 7-6-22 at 10.34 AM.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1248876

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Absolutely, I was talking to my brother about that on the 4th. I bet it has seen about 500 cooks in the 8 years I have owned it. And I honestly can't remember one bad cook. I still love it. TripleB

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Spinaker That's a pretty good selling point. 500 cooks and still going strong. Given today's current price and it breaks down to $3.39 per cook and getting cheaper. I need one...or two.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, it has been a great investment. Well worth the money. No question, I would buy one all over again. Craigar

I like hpow your starter chimney fits in the firebox! What brand is that?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here