Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinaker This is my version. It's not authentic anything, just how my household and most guests love them.

All ingredients are eyeballed

1.5 LBS Ground beef
    1 LBS Ground pork
    1 medium onion
    3 garlic cloves grated
    About 1/2 cup chopped tomato
    About a cup whole milk Ricotta cheese (for moist tender meatballs)
    A bunch of freshly grated Parmesan cheese (for that umami taste)
    2 egg yolks (I prefer yolks only, more tender, bouncy balls)
    About 3/4 cup bread crumbs
    Some parsley
    Some fresh thyme.
    A dash of Vietnamese fish sauce

Cook the onion in some fat until soft, add grated garlic and tomato. Cook that mess until there's no more liquid. Add the Vietnamese fish sauce, mix and set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, loosely mix the beef and pork. Season with salt and pepper. Add the rest of the ingredients and get at it with your hands. At this time the mixture might be too wet to form balls, that's why I refrigerate before forming them.
    Cook a small piece of the mess to taste for seasoning. Adjust accordingly.
    Form that mess into a large ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Roll into meatballs and cook indirect on grill or however you please.

I have SnSed them at 350, KBQ at 225, oven, dropped on tomato sauce etc. They all turn out great.

Takes notes, make adjustments on next cook.

I have added sriracha, sambal oelek before just for a little kick.

I have experimented with panade instead of just bread crumbs, eeeh makes very little difference.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a lot Ernest

• SoonerBQuer
      SoonerBQuer commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally stealing this recipe and implanting venison for beef since we have a lot. By the way, this thread is awesome!

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      SoonerBQuer works great with venison and buffalo.

How many KBQ owners we have now on the site?

I know there is Ernest, Smarkley, Spinaker, Myself and then Rob Gibson (don't know his handle) who won one from the Gold Medal Giveaways. Anyone else?
    Last edited by Drbearsec; November 3, 2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• Drbearsec
      Drbearsec commented
      Editing a comment
      So 5 of us... Did Max keep his test unit?

Wow, that's pretty damn good for a smoker that isn't mass produced yet and really survives on word of mouth. And these are ALL purchased since the Review of the KBQ on Amazing Ribs.

• Koy Schoppe
      Koy Schoppe commented
      Editing a comment
      I will be firing mine up today for the first time... Can't wait for this work day to be over!

• JayZ
      JayZ commented
      Editing a comment
      After reading this thread, I’ve just ordered one, so I am a KBQer-in-training ...

Drbearsec The legion grows every month. I hope it continues to grow. Maybe one of us will get the big rig KBQ when she hits the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
      Drbearsec The legion grows every month. I hope it continues to grow. Maybe one of us will get the big rig KBQ when she hits the market.

Big rig KBQ? What's this black magic you speak of? A foul temptress to separate men (and women) from their money.

Seriously, say WHAH?!?!?

Comment

Drbearsec HA!! Bill posted a short video of the commercial version a few posts up in this very thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
          Drbearsec HA!! Bill posted a short video of the commercial version a few posts up in this very thread.

What I get for not looking closer....

Bless Bill for creating such a damn incredible smoker. The only two things I'd love for it is 1) some easier way to attach a grease drip tray and 2) a Way to feed logs overnight when doing multiple long cooks. But those are such minor minor quibbles. The food is what is important and DAMN have I made some tasty BBQ on it. Some people telling me they were the best ribs they ever ate!

Comment

Originally posted by KBQ View Post
            Here's a short video of the commercial-scale prototype.

Wow, that is freaking cool. So let's see... If I buy one, I might get divorced. I could live with that. But she might take it in the divorce... that would be awful. HMMMMMMMMM

Comment

Drbearsec That log auto feed will take all the fun out of KBQing. Feeding the logs is my favorite part.
              Grease drip tray, I bought a sheet pan from a restaurant supply store that fits perfectly inside the KBQ.

I'd like to have a second one .........

Comment

• Drbearsec
                Drbearsec commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting... What's the dimensions on that pan? Online or in person?

Agree that it is fun to feed the logs. I'm thinking for overnight cooks so one is not up 24 hours if one has to cook like 8 briskets... but yeah a second owuld work.

However, I think if I dropped another $1400 on a smoker, I'd get a ton of shit from the old lady.

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL!!
                I had the pan in the house already, for making bacon for a crowd (Thanksgiving breakfast sessions). I believe it's a 3/4 sheet pan, measures 15X21.
                From my experience, one gets a ton of sh#t regardless so.......might as well be for a second KBQ.

Originally posted by Drbearsec View Post

Wow, that is freaking cool. So let's see... If I buy one, I might get divorced. I could live with that. But she might take it in the divorce... that would be awful. HMMMMMMMMM
              Drbearsec

Right here man!!

Comment

My order has been placed!!!! I can't wait!!! Now I just need to keep splitting wood to make sure I have enough to feed that beast.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bye bye Yoder Wichita plans?

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Huskee Not sure right now. I need to have good spot for it. Where I am right now I just don't have that. I wouldn't want it sitting out in the elements. I would need to build structure to make sure it stays nice, and covers just don't do it for me. So the KBQ was a logical decision for me. I am sure that I will always keep that baby in my plans when every I am buying a new rig. And trust me, this wont be my last.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mine stays out in the elements year round. It won't hurt it. I know I know, you never want to do that with a new toy or tool, I kept mine indoors the first few months, but eventually you just go 'ahh who cares, rain won't hurt it'.

Congrats Spin

Man this thread is a MONSTER! AWESOME!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 10.10.45 AM.png
Views:	487
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	119954
                Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 4, 2015, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Spinaker YEEEEAAH BUDDY!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
                    Spinaker YEEEEAAH BUDDY!!
                    Thank You Sir!!! I can't wait!!!

Comment

I just got a note from Bill, he said my Pit may be here next weekend! Can't get here soon enough.

Comment

I can pick it up for you Spinaker . I promise to keep it safe,

Comment

• Spinaker
                          Spinaker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          haha i am sure you would, but then It would never leave!!

• Ernest
                          Ernest commented
                          Editing a comment
                          you got that right!!!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here