Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did you get a 6 pound point?

I'll take a dozen of those.😜

Comment

Breadhead central market, they let you pick a brisket, take it to the butcher counter and tell them to cut it however you want.

Comment

Do you notice color changes when the wood is switched up? I would think the KBQ would be the perfect deal to test that out on.

Comment

Spinaker The only one I noticed was Pecan, I get a darker deeper mahogany using all clean smoke. First picture below.
          Than last week was my first time using the clean and dirty smoke combo. Here's the thing, what's considered dirty smoke on the KBQ is probably the cleanest smoke on a regular stick burner. See second picture, that was all hickory.

My favorite wood right now is Mesquite, followed by Pecan and then Hickory

Comment

Ernest Interesting. Anf to think you're afraid to use Mesquite before you got the KBQ. So here is my next question for you. What do is "Clean and Dirty Smoke" i know the difference when meat talks about it but is it something different when talking about the KBQ? And how do you implement the "Combo"? Lastly Why would you want dirty smoke in the first place? I feel like a little kid asking a thousand questions but, this thing is just sooooooo cool.

Comment

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              I posted a picture of the inverted flame somewhere. So the KBQ pulls the smoke through the hot bed of coals into the cookbox. The smoke is almost invisible.
              Now the so called dirty smoke bypasses the stage. It goes from the burning wood straight into the cookbox. The smoke is visible, lighter than blue. You can see the flame leaning towards the inlet.

Spinaker The KBQ firebox has 2 inlets covered by a pull out knob. One is under the fire (main clean smoke) and second one right where the wood burns(dirty smoke). The dirty smoke bypasses hot bed for a heavier smoke flavor. I'll take some pictures for you.

So if I pull out both knobs I get the combo. Pretty great for short cooks. It will give me a heavier smoke flavor
            Last edited by Ernest; October 2, 2015, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Ernest you still need a Lang 😎

Comment

DWCowles umm no I don't. LOL! I'll get a 5th KBQ before I look at another smoker.

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  See Ernest you and smarkley will be my teachers to teach me how to operate the KBQ. How many racks of ribs can you cook on that thing?

• smarkley
                  smarkley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DWCowles I am GUESSING at least 8 racks of ribs... could be more

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  8 with regular shelves. 12 to 16 if you purchase extra shelves.
                  Last edited by Ernest; October 2, 2015, 06:40 PM.

Spinaker See those two thingamajigs, I pulled the bottom one out fully. Top one is closed, that's all clean smoke
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151003_073727.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	360336

Notice how the flame is shooting up, that's any smoke going into the cooking box is passing through the hot bed of coals.

Name:	IMG_20151003_073732.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	360335

Now, here I got both thingamajigs pulled out. That's the clean and dirty smoke combo

Name:	IMG_20151003_073722.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	360334

Look at the flame shooting into the lnlet, getting pulled into the cookbox. You'll also notice that there's no bellowing smoke even though it is called "dirty smoke"

Name:	IMG_20151003_073701.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	360333

Now that's fire management.
                Last edited by Ernest; August 10, 2017, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome!!! I am more of a visual/handson learning type of guy. This was perfect. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I appreciate it!! Ernest

Ernest you've given me an idea to get cleaner smoke, as an experiment, in my stickburner.

Comment

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fire it up Huskee

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DWCowles I love the flavor that I get from my current fire management...however in the spirit of 'knowledge is power' and experimenting yields experience and all that, I can't resist. Could I get KBQ results from a regular stickburner? Maybe, maybe not and I actually wouldn't know if I did!

• DSiewert
                  DSiewert commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A big part of the trick behind the KBQ is that it creates a low pressure zone inside the cooker whenever heat is needed. There is no passive flow of smoke into the food chamber. I've toyed with the idea of altering a conventional stick burner: give the fire box its own exhaust, Mount an exhaust fan at the far end of the food chamber, move the fire grate up so air is sucked into the food chamber from underneath the fire, add a thermostat to the exhaust fan, and finally, add a circulation fan inside the food chamber. But the KBQ is such an easier approach...

Action!

Name:	IMG_20151003_090157.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	360337
                Last edited by Ernest; August 10, 2017, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  12 shelves will fit. Only problem with that many would be circulation. I think 8 would be ideal. If you had to do 16 racks of ribs.

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agreed Ernest when I buy spareribs from Sam's club by the case there's 16 racks so that will work perfect.

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ernest whatcha got cooking today and what time will it be ready?

Got a brisket point, a fatty and a few country style ribs.

No sauce, spritze or mop.

Name:	IMG_20151003_090157.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	360341
                Last edited by Ernest; August 10, 2017, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I haven't done meatloaf in a looooooong time. Here we go...

Name:	IMG_20151004_095913.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	360345

Mesquite logs, my new go to wood.

Name:	KBQ meatloaf.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	360346

Name:	IMG_20151004_125948.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	360347
                  Last edited by Ernest; August 10, 2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mestloaf looks good Ernest I was wanting to see pics of the brisket point.

DWCowles the point didn't make it far. Left it on the cutting board and it was gone in zero time flat.

Name:	IMG_20151003_141124.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	360737

Didn't wrap or spritze. Just let it go at 212 degrees

Last edited by Ernest; August 11, 2017, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Crazy smoke ring!!!

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ernest did you wrap your briskets? If so, What temp internal?

• Ernest
                    Ernest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh noooooo no wrapping. Only wrap I do is faux cambro part.

It's been decided. I am getting one. I've got a really busy month coming up. I feel like if I bought one now, I would not get anything done. But Come November......I will be entering the realm of the KBQ. #TOOLONGTOOWAIT
                  Last edited by Spinaker; October 4, 2015, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• smarkley
                    smarkley commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ya know when you compare the price to other similar cookers... the KBQ is really a good deal Spinaker

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    smarkley I though the same thing. I also want am offset. But the KBQ is cheaper especially with shipping. Plus they are so awesome. I will still get my offset one day but the KBQ is first inline. Looking forward to sourcing some logs!!!

• Ernest
                    Ernest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Get it now and you'll probably have it delivered by November.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here