Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ernest Congrats, Ernest....that cooker is a beauty! The construction is impressive as well as the BBQ that was cooked on it. Looks like a great way to enter the stick burner world.

Comment

Thank you Ray . If you have a chance to own one, do not hesitate. Max Good review was on point.
      Last edited by Ernest; September 8, 2015, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Life is an equipment sport, and he who dies with the most toys wins.

Comment

so you got enough smoked food to last the winter now or what?

Comment

Ernest This is becoming my favorite thread BTW. You mentioned that the KBQ cuts down your cook time. How long did it take you to bark up those briskets? And how long did it take you to get your briskets up to finishing temp?

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
              Ernest This is becoming my favorite thread BTW. You mentioned that the KBQ cuts down your cook time. How long did it take you to bark up those briskets? And how long did it take you to get your briskets up to finishing temp?

I got the ribs done in 4 hours, highest cooking temp was 221.
              The brisket points went on at 7:45 am and I pulled at 3:05 PM, internal temp was 203. Highest I got to was 227 degrees.
              They were looking fantastic after 4 hours.

Comment

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                Ernest I have a question...I was watching the video on KBQ website and he recommends NOT to run a probe cable through the door because of the seals around the door so how do you monitor the IT of the meat? Where do you run the cable at?

DWCowles There are two holes on the top front corners, that's where the meat probe snakes through.
              The door has no play when closed so to fit a probe wire through it, I'd have to really really really force the door to close.

Comment

Congrats Ernest . I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread. Food looks amazing. Man I really want one these things!!

Comment

Much appreciated Tim E ! It's a joy to cook on this thing.

Comment

Ernest What are you using on the bottom to catch drippings from the meat?

Comment

• Ernest
                      Ernest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Spinaker I have a full size rimmed baking sheet. It actually covers the whole bottom perfectly.
                      The bottom is designed with a slope to automagically drain drippings. I just didn't want them to land on the porch
                      Last edited by Ernest; September 9, 2015, 06:26 PM.

• Ernest
                      Ernest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      DWCowles OOPS!! LOL

Much appreciated Tim E ! It's a joy to cook on this thing.

Comment

So I vacuum sealed a small brisket from last cook. I wanted to see how it would reheat. I planning on smoking a packet for a birthday but the timing is throwing me off.

Reheated it today in the oven and it came out fantastic. Of course I'd rather reheat it in the smoker, this was just an experiment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150908_204813.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	359663
                      Last edited by Ernest; August 9, 2017, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Your mileage may vary but I find reheating works best if you get the inside hot without getting the outside hot (as that seems to cause some smoke flavors to change). Microwave on 50% power in short bursts until the surface is just warm not hot. I do this with one-pound bags of vacuum-sealed brisket (left sealed), takes about three minutes at 50% in an 1100-watt oven. Cut open the package, put on a plate, let rest for a minute, perfect. Darn near indistinguishable from fresh if done right.

Comment

Thank you (fuzz) . I'm leaning towards sous vide to 140 then tighten it up in the smoker the last hour of the rib cook.

Comment

Working on a cowboy steak. I'll sear it right there on the firebox.

Name:	IMG_20150913_154501.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	359664

Name:	IMG_20150913_164518.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	359665
                            Last edited by Ernest; August 9, 2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here