Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    I have used Wire safety pins. They are easy to snap in and snap out. You will have to cut the rod that is on the bottom of the KBQ, remove it and use these pins. It worked in a pinch, but being able to take the door off is a game changer for cleaning.
    When it comes to Industrial Safety Pins, you can count on Grainger. Supplies and solutions for every industry, plus easy ordering, fast delivery and 24/7 customer support.

• Sid P
    commented on 's reply
    You’ll definitely want the kill switch if yours didn’t come with one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01894YMX4

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!

• Dr. Pepper
    replied
    And, glitchy I just found this from 2021:

From @BBQ_Bill
    Definitely makes cleaning easier. Just slide the ferrule to the side, pull the rod out, remove the door.

5/16" OD

I and others had hoped that Bill KBQ would have incorporated this into the original manufacturing. Simple, effective, makes cleaning easier.

I don't pressure wash. I use a paint scraper to push any debris into a pile and wipe it up with a paper towel.

Be careful not to cut your fingers on the sides of the rack hangers attached to the sides.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...59#post1101959

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_155030.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	52.3 KB ID:	1193255
    Last edited by Dr. Pepper; March 21, 2022, 11:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Pepper
    replied
    glitchy I posted these in 2019. How to deal with the hot lid. With a little practice this becomes easy.

RE: the coal tray, I agree it is a little sticky, but you won't hurt anything by knocking it a little. After everything has cooled down I take that out, and dump the cold ash into our yard waste bin or toss it into garden beds where we don't have acid loving plants (ie, no blueberries, rhododendrons, etc.)
    I suppose I can look for where it's sticking, and hammer it a little? KBQ ?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0734.jpeg
Views:	613
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	1193236 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0735.jpeg
Views:	623
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	1193235 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0736.jpeg
Views:	616
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1193237

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    replied
    As noted here I picked up a KBQ on Saturday. It needs a good cleaning and I think is a little older as it didn't come with a thermometer or firebox grate. I'm trying to read through this thread and I am a little more than halfway through, but have few questions (maybe I'll find the answers in the next 40 pages or have already missed them):
    • Is there any way to get the door hinge and leg/handle mods since BBQ_Bill has too much other stuff on his plate these days? Are they just standard hardware I could recreate myself if I knew a few more details from one of you that has them?
    • How do you clean the firebox, i.e. under the separator? It appears you lift the separator and slide it out the slots on the side, but when I tried that it wanted to get stuck. I want to confirm before I force things.
    • What are the best hooks to get for hanging chickens and such? I don't have a PBC, so are there better ones to get or should I find the PBC hooks somewhere?
    • Any other accessories that are must haves? I have a cover and full sized steam pan on the way and already have a Kindling Cracker XL and Dewalt cordless chainsaw for dealing with firewood. I picked up a set of welding gloves the other day.
    Tagging a few of you KBQ owners I remember and know are very active: ComfortablyNumb 58limited Spinaker Dr. Pepper

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Looks great! And thanks for sharing the goods for your rub!

• frigate
    replied
    Most weekends the weather has been bad. Today it's snowing but yesterday it was sunny and 62 degrees. So yesterday was the time for ribs.

Name:	20220212_151105.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	1174326

Name:	20220212_151127.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	1174327

Somewhere in all the pages of this thread I posted recipes for my rub and injections. Yesterday I changed the rub recipe. The Kosher salt I ground in the coffee grinder and I changed the finely ground black pepper to tablespoons.

Frigate’s Rub Ver. 1.1

1 cup turbinado sugar finely ground in coffee grinder.
    ½ cup granulated sugar.
    ½ cup Kosher salt finely ground in coffee grinder.
    1 tablespoon onion powder.
    3 tablespoons granulated garlic
    2 tablespoons cayenne pepper.
    2 tablespoons finely ground black pepper.
    2 teaspoons dry mustard.
    ¼ cup mild chili powder.
    1 teaspoon ground cumin.
    ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons paprika.
    Mix all completely in bowl.

Leave a comment:

• badf00d
    commented on 's reply
    I get a lot of hickory, and wow is it it hard.

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Firstly.... I see a band aid in his finger.

Secondly. How the heck is he growing weed on his roof without the DEA finding it?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here