Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TJewell i max out the knob start to finish. And try to leave your bird naked in the refrigerator overnight to dry out the skin

Comment

mine runs up to 375,then again I'm in Texas

Comment

• TJewell
        TJewell commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm in SW florida. Not really cold here either! lol

I caught it at an angle but that's 376

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210509_180233707~3.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1029567

Comment

• TJewell
        TJewell commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine hits 320, the fan cuts off, and the temp starts dropping.

Also, I stuck my inkbird to the side like that and the back melted, and now it won't stay on. :/

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        TJewell I had stuck my thermoworks smoke on the side of the cookbook, melted the back. Thermoworks sent me a replacement for a modest fee, since it was operator error. Very nice of them, as they could have simply said 'Your fault.'

lostclusters The knob on my control box goes to 320, and as soon as the temp hits 320 it shuts the fan off.
      Attached Files

Comment

Have put temperature sensor in the cook box to verify the temperature in the. Everyone elses kbq gets much hotel than 320. Mine hit 425 once.

Comment

• lostclusters
          lostclusters commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn auto spell checker

Just a thought here but TJewell are you turning your knob past 320 as far as it can go? My knob is able to turn farther than 320. If you are turning it exactly to 320 the fan would turn off once it hit that temp. Try turning that knob all the way up!

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Knob stops at 320 but that's just mean temp. I get up to 380 when I max out the knob

• SmokeyNate
          SmokeyNate commented
          Editing a comment
          TJewell MY BAD! I just checked my knob and it does stop at 320 as well! Sorry about that! I could have sworn it went past. That being said I do get much higher temps than 320. Could be the coal bed.

• Chiller Phil
          Chiller Phil commented
          Editing a comment
          It is not the coal bed.
          Fouling of the Draft Fans Temperature Sensor insulates it from the discharge airflow and allows the DF to Cut Out in excess of its design Set Point, 320 F. Something I experienced and correct with a light brushing of its spiral holder, which reveals the Sensing Bulb once again.
          The SP is derived due to the tendency of grease to burn at temperatures in excess of 320 F. and imparting undesirable flavors, as per Bill K.

I don't know about you guys, but mine goes all the way up to 11

Comment

I am having a hard time keeping a good coal bed, too. I purchased a pallet of oak from a local supplier that supplies some of the BBQ trucks (one of which I think makes fantastic food), and it might not be as seasoned as it was supposed to be. Some of the pieces have a lot of bark, too which I am finding don't coal as well. I got a moisture meter, and it checked between 8-10 when I got it, which I thought was great, but when I checked a fresh cut pieces they are between 15-30. Probably a bit high, no?

Attached Files

Comment

• lostclusters
            lostclusters commented
            Editing a comment
            Those pieces look a bit thick to me. The KBQ manual recommends red bull can sized pieces. Bigger pieces take more time to break down into coals. If you are having trouble maintaining a coal bed fill your firebox more.

• TJewell
            TJewell commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a kindling cracker on the way to make the splits smaller before cutting into chunks.

• goskers
            goskers commented
            Editing a comment
            I struggled and still do every once in a while with keeping a good coal bed. The addition of a kindling cracker to get my split diameter down made a significant difference for me. My reloading steps are turn unit off, remove lid and tamp coals strongly, load pieces on top of bed trying to be aware of position so they don’t nest on each other and prevent falling down, replace lid and turn back on. I do this every 20 mins via use of the timer on my phone.

JCBBQ Lid on is always better unless you got carried away and depleted your bed of coals then drop a log in there and leave the id off to get that fire rolling again

Comment

Santamarina I saw a mention notification but I can't find the post. I am not ignoring you,

Comment

goskers, and anyone else that has a kindling cracker..

What type of wood are you splitting? I just smacked some oak logs with my 8lb sledge, and it is not splitting very easy, and when I say very easy I mean it's not really splitting at all. Is. Is. this wood just too hard for it? Maybe it would be better if I had a stump or something to bolt it to. It bounces a little when I hit it.

Comment

• lostclusters
                lostclusters commented
                Editing a comment
                You can not split against the grain. I split oak all the time, with the grain. I use a 2 lb hammer.
                Last edited by lostclusters; May 23, 2021, 01:17 PM.

• Ronaldf123
                Ronaldf123 commented
                Editing a comment
                I use my chop saw to cut my oak logs to approximately 9”, then I use my kindling cracker and easily split with 2 lb hammer

• ddevine
                ddevine commented
                Editing a comment
                Mine is mounted on a very large stump. Does not move or bounce at all when I split oak. Having shorter splits does help with the gnarly stuff.

lostclusters I get it. Can't go against the grain. This thin ass piece of oak will not split all the way after beating the shit out of it with full swings. Guess I'm just a little bitch. lol These are 18-24" long splits. I will try cutting them into chunks and then splitting them smaller.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                Dr. Pepper commented
                Editing a comment
                I've noticed that Oak has very tough fibers which cross the split on a diagonal, keeping longer pieces from 'popping' apart. Chopping them first, then splitting, will likely cure that issue. 🤞🏻

• goskers
                goskers commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with the posters above to cut to length and then split. I have used primarily oak and hickory so species is not the problem. Knots are an issue and you will have to work around these accordingly. Outside of knots the cracker has done well for me once cut to length.

Let me ask this.... when you say a bed of coals, are you expecting a nice, inches thick bed of red hot coals?
              like a nice package of hot coals?

Comment

• TJewell
                TJewell commented
                Editing a comment
                Just looking to keep the bottom of the fire box covered. I always have open slots.

My suggestion would be to tweak the size of your logs. Go smaller.
              Or alternate chunks and logs.

Comment

I noticed the price on Amazon is $1995 while on the KBQ site still $1440. Even with shipping cost of $200, still a much better deal on KBQ.

Comment

• Chiller Phil
                  Chiller Phil commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Karubecue LLC is the seller.

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's Bill

• Chiller Phil
                  Chiller Phil commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, and his last name is Karau.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here