Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Cook on the KBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Cook on the KBQ

Hi guys, I’m planning my first smoke sometime in the next week or two. Just waiting for the rains to stop. I’m cooking for family, 10 of us, including parents, siblings and kids.

(Intro thread here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-60-looks-like)

So I have several racks of Kurobuta baby back ribs, SRF Wagyu Beef rib fingers (boneless) and short ribs.

The plan:

Rib Fingers
    • ​​​​​​​I’ll probably be cooking the rib fingers in the Weber kettle with the slow and sear.
    • ​​​​​​​Dry brine overnight
    • haven’t decided on the rub but probably BBBR or Memphis Dust.
    • Cook in the Weber @ 250°F-ish. I suspect this will take around 4 hours?
    • What should my internal target temp be?
    • Would this require wrapping?
    • Sear before serving.
    • Will this cook better in the KBQ?

Baby Backs
    • Dry brine overnight.
    • Memphis Dust and raw sugar rub.
    • Smoke at 225°F? 250°F?
    • Oak? Apple? Maple?
    • Hang or rack?
    • Should I spritz? I’m thinking yes. Apple Cider Vinegar+water and honey?
    • Should I brulee with sugar on top prior to serving?
    • Wrap or no wrap? It seems like consensus here is no wrap needed for KBQ smokes.
    • Bend/crack test for doneness?
    • Should I hold them in the oven for a few hours prior to serving? Butcher paper?

Short Ribs
    • dry brine overnight
    • Memphis dust rub
    • Smoke at 225°F? 250°F? 5-6 hours?
    • Oak? Cherry? Apple? Hickory?
    • Hang or rack?
    • Should I spritz? I’m leaning towards yes. Apple Cider Vinegar+beef stock?
    • Wrap or no wrap? Again, it seems like consensus here is no wrap needed for KBQ smokes.
    • Internal target temp of 140? Will that be tender and unctuous?
    • Should I hold them in the oven for a few hours prior to serving? Butcher paper?

Others
    • I have a Fireboard but was planning to use it only for measuring/tracking cookbox temps. I’ll just use a thermapen to check internal temps although I might try the Meatstick wireless thermometer.
    • Keep firebox half full
    • Keep a healthy coal bed
    • For the first cook bottom vent only

Anything else I’m missing? All suggestions welcome.

Great job of planning your cook and intent to cook your plan.
    Happy Grilling to you and PBR too.

Comment

I'd cook at 250 to 275, probably do not need to wrap but maybe try some wrapped in butcher paper. If you want a smoke flavor somewhat forward I'd use bottom poppet full open and top open about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. Some do not use top poppet at all but the yields about the same smoke flavor as a pellet grill.

Comment

• RickyG
        RickyG commented
        Editing a comment
        For both spareribs and short ribs?

• lostclusters
        lostclusters commented
        Editing a comment
        RickyG Yes

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here