Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Shawarma...of sorts in my KaruBouQuet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Shawarma...of sorts in my KaruBouQuet

Click image for larger version  Name:	F56509B4-C85C-4D3F-8505-54252CE1E177.jpeg Views:	13 Size:	5.79 MB ID:	1020854Click image for larger version  Name:	D26F7832-415C-4CF8-AB5B-3ED5E93598F0.jpeg Views:	13 Size:	5.30 MB ID:	1020853Click image for larger version  Name:	EC01D030-8A0E-4671-A04E-88107F77966C.jpeg Views:	13 Size:	4.53 MB ID:	1020852 First of all, I can’t take credit for KaruBouQuet that brilliant wordsmithing came from Max Good however I’m stealing it.

So lamb. I ate it every day I was in Morocco a couple years ago. I love it, but it’s not something we eat much bc the Mrs think it smells of sweaty socks. 🤷‍♂️ Anyway she was away over Easter so I made it and it was so good I’ve literally been thinking about it every day since. So today I’ll repeat and document as I go.

I didn’t go all out w special ordered lamb from the butcher, I just picked up two boneless legs at Costco. We’ll see how it compares.

I cut off the fat and silver skin. Then sort of butterflied it a little and hacked it up so that the marinade could find more surface area. I rubbed it all over and put it in the fridge over night.

More to come.

Last edited by JCBBQ; April 21, 2021, 02:07 PM.

18 ingredients in that marinade. It smells incredible.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	3F5CBB3B-F976-4C99-B6CF-B510B46FC11F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.67 MB ID:	1020961​Click image for larger version  Name:	1E0BAC50-63E9-489C-BB05-8C7579CCFE04.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.88 MB ID:	1020960​Tied em up before cooking. And 5 hours in.
      Last edited by JCBBQ; April 21, 2021, 04:13 PM.

Comment

You're killing me here! How about ya put a little hustle in it?

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha yeah, got too stuffed to do anything after I ate last night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9B1BAA5D-4E6A-4D85-820B-6C3821D995E3.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	1021095Click image for larger version

Name:	8931D964-B343-4036-AFC9-0EB682CA4858.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1021096Click image for larger version

Name:	93BC6476-73EA-4B55-9738-1F6C5004B860.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1021097 Swiss Chard w a yogurt and tahini sauce.
        Cross section of my stuffed pita.

Comment

That looks pretty decadent. You got a twofer--a great meal and the recall of delicious memories of Moroccan food.

Do you have to eat it all up before the wife gets back?

Kathryn

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahaha we’ll have to hide it.

Baaaaaa!

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol

Here are some thoughts. I adapted this recipe from the one I did in my oven in a roasting pan w liquid at a higher temp. The recipe called for it to be covered after an hour so as to not burn the marinade. I did this in the KBQ around 275. Thinking to cook it like a pork butt.

I have to say I prefer the oven method. The smoke overpowered the great marinade flavors. Still very tasty but not as good.

Next time I’ll do a hybrid cook. Smoke at higher temps for an hour to get some great smoke flavor, then bang in the oven.

Comment

Oh my! I'm drooling all over myself here. Any chance you could share the marinade recipe? Or maybe even do a full recipe write up? Or come live with me rent free, with a promise to make that once a week?

Comment

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Ahhhh that sounds amazing. Be right over.

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              JCBBQ I don't know if that is where he is from. That's just my guess. BTW, it's great to see a recent KBQ taking risks, trying out new things! ¡Salud!

• willxfmr
              willxfmr commented
              Editing a comment
              It would indeed be Fond du Lac, WI. If you like small town life in a State that gets the extremes of all four seasons, by all means, come by. I'll buy the lamb so you don't have to waste time trying to find it yourself.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here