Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook on the KBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook on the KBQ

I have mastered chicken in my Primo - super moist w crispy skin, so I had my doubts that the KBQ could compete. Honestly I was worried that the KBQ wouldn’t be able to crisp the skin enough bc I thought it wouldn’t get hot enough in there. So I ripped it! -all the way on the highest heat setting and loaded it up w cherry and oak. I put two spatchcocked birds in once the temp reached 400. According to my FireBoard that briancc so graciously threw in when he sold me his KBQ, the temps ranged between 400 and all the way up to 450! Awesome. Cooked those birds for 45 mins and perfecto. SWMBO said it was my best chicken ever. I’ll take that.

I really loved the flavor of the wood smoke. I only had the bottom poppet open. It really is another ingredient. I want to say it’s light but that isn’t right, maybe deft is the word bc you cannot miss the flavor but it’s harmonious so it doesn’t club you over the head w it’s presence.

Speaking of flavors, I’m in love w Ottolenghi’s harissa recipe in his book Jerusalem. Yes, there’s heat but so much more. Anyway I slathered that under all the skin of those birds as well as under their spatchcockedness (?) as well as black pepper and Z’atar on top. I can’t recommend that enough. Super delicious.

Unfortunately I forgot to take pics of the whole birds. This is all I managed.

Long story short....KBQ for the win and I can’t wait to see what else I can make in there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	94F2D111-3ACA-49C8-A3AC-0977AEBB528F.jpeg
Views:	436
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	1018074

Looks cripsy to me & ready to tie in & eat!👍

Comment

Congrats on a great cook. That does look good enough to eat.

Comment

Nice job! KBQ, KBQ, KBQ!

Comment

I’m sorry, but club rules have been changed, no posts concerning the KBQ are allowed. Pictures of food results can be posted, but no discussions of the device used to obtain them nor any mentions of the amazing clean smoke produced can be tolerated. There are too many correlations between the effects of KBQ and crack cocaine that KBQ is now under review to be added to the banned substance list.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I am sure its already being considered a Schedule 1 in MN. LOL.

• JGrana
            JGrana commented
            Editing a comment
            Ouch, as an extremely happy KBQ owner, guilty as charged.

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi I'm hogdog6 and I'm a KBQ addict
            Last edited by hogdog6; April 17, 2021, 01:00 PM.

Nice work, and report, JCBBQ My wife and I have watched Ottolenghi’s MasterClass. I like his common sense approach, and of course, his use of fresh vegetables in his food. I will try his Harissa recipe (we have his books.) Thanks

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            My daughter took his master class. Said it was phenomenal. I’ve never done one. EVERYTHING I’ve made out of Plenty and Jerusalem has been incredible. Made the leg of lamb for Easter and it blew me away.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            JCBBQ I would be interested in the leg of lamb cook. Care to share?

This is not your preferred leg of lamb method -ie med rare. It’s the other way - to 200. I’m goi g to adapt this to the KBQ next week sometime. Probably cook it low and slow but use the same spices. The scent of this cooking is heavenly.

Name:	5210E65F-F564-4493-BA32-19E3CE38CD92.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1018203Troutman

Name:	A90148C5-9AFB-449C-A29A-8FDE3BD2BD69.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1018204

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            JCBBQ Ah Lamb Shawarma. You know this is what inspired Mexican al Pastor and their trompos. Anyway, thanks, if I feel ambitious I may try this, it's sourcing all the ingredients that gets to be the challenge !!

Yes! I love it! KBQ chicken is fantastic. I always rip that sucker wide open when I do chicken too.

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Gotta admit, I was impressed at how hot it got. This is gonna be fun. The amount of food you can fit in there vs my Primo is awesome

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah man you can pack it in. And if you have a really thick coal bed, you can go north of 450 for sure.

• JGrana
            JGrana commented
            Editing a comment
            I have always done nice chicken halves low and slow for an hour and a half or so. I use Meatheads Memphis Dust on them.
            Then, crank up the KBQ for maybe 30-45 minutes.
            Family and friends can't get enough.
            And I am in Dinosaur BBQ country!!!

Have you ordered a second unit yet?

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahaha

Wait until you try pork belly in that KBQ. You might not make it back!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1287.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	1018549

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Believe me......the meat was waaaaay better! (But thank you)

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker How do you cook your pork belly? This is not the cured bacon recipe, verdad?

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Correcto! This was rubbed down with Meat Church Honey Pecan rub. I generally smoke it at about 250 F. Most of the time. Dr. Pepper

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here