Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clearance for using Karubecue C-60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearance for using Karubecue C-60

Heard really good things about the C-60. But I have 2 huge pin oaks over my patio. How much clearance do I need above for safety.

Welcome to The Pit.

Sorry, but I can't help with the KBQ...

Comment

How much do you like those trees?
      I'm just saying they could fuel that KBQ a looooong time

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        lol

When you are first starting it you may have flames that shoot above the top by a foot or so. Once it is going you can use the lid and flames shooting up won't be much of a concern. You may have occasional embers popping out from the sides so keeping an area underneath and around the KBQ free of combustibles is important.

Whenever I am using my KBQ I have the garden hose at the ready "just in case".

Comment

Welcome to the speaking side of the Pit!

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          OCT 2017...hahaha

Safety First. When in doubt leave it out.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought it was "pull it out"

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Not familiar with th burn habits of a KBQ, but I can tell ya, with certainty, that I once, inadvertently killed off some lower limbs on my Silver Maple, out fronta th house, here...they were 6-7' above th stack on my Horizon 20: Classic...

Nuthin ignited, but th heat did em in, BigTime... oops...

Comment

• snm8690
            snm8690 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point. Thank you.

You should be just fine. I would not worry about those Oaks.

Obviously, any open flame should be treated with respect and care, but the KBQ is pretty safe to operate. For the most part, the flames are not shooting up very high when the lid is off. That being said, think of it this way.......would you put a small fire pit there? If not, maybe find a better spot to move it too.

I keep mine on my patio and there is a huge white oak pretty close, but the crown of the tree is a good 25-30 feet above my KBQ. It would take a really huge fire with constant heat to and very dry conditions to cause a real hazard and the fire in the C-60 is nowhere near that.

Just remember.....a quality fire extinguisher is ALWAYS a good idea on any patio, when live fire is present.

Comment

Our KBQ is on concrete, but I bought one of these silicone ember mats for our 22" Weber which we keep in Hood River, and use on a wood deck. I was inspired by live coals which landed on the decking when I dumped the lump charcoal from the chimney. (I put the embers out with a hose, and soaked the deck for a wide area!) https://www.amazon.com/Ember-Mat-Protect-Underneath-Popping/dp/B07QD1HC7T/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=fire+mat&qid=16183708 45&sr=8-3
          Last edited by Dr. Pepper; April 13, 2021, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here