Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help. What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help. What am I doing wrong?

How long does the KBQ take to get up to temp?? It’s been over an hour and I’m still at 75 degrees.

Could be your coal bed is restricting the vents at the bottom of the fire box. The fire box may not be squarely on the cook box. The control box may not be squarely on the cook box or not working properly. Or the cook box door may not be shutting squarely.

Does it seem to be drawing from the fire box?
    Last edited by lostclusters; April 4, 2021, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, check to see if it is drawing from the firebox, if not check the temp dial and your dampers.

Oh, and KBQ should get up to temp quickly, like a 2 - 3 minutes, something like that.

Comment

lostclusters Made the executive decision to cook in my oven. I’ll try something else when there are no hungry mouths waiting so I can figure out what wasn’t right. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Boy, I hope ya didn’t make the mistake I did on my second cook a way back on my Napoleon. Tryin to get it up to temp and a tryin, meanwhile I was roasting my wood chips in record time at least twice. I wish I coulda seed the look on my face! Then, I peered mightily at my therma pen & saw the C next to the temp. Here I was burnin everything on sight but wouldn’t get the temp above 190 or such. And here I was blamin it on my home state of Wisconsin & the weather it had brought me.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha no, definitely F.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          did that on more than one occasion while living in Europe. Had a C stove at home and an F one at work, my poor brain.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Celsius Happens, BTDT

Where’s Spinaker He knows his KBQ real well.

Comment

OK, totally the IT consultant from the old SNL skit here, but......you did plug it in, right? 😬 And the fans were going? And at least one poppet was open? My KBQ temp rises within 5-10 minutes. lostclusters list was great.

Comment

You need to create and maintain a solid bed of red hot embers at the bottom of the fire box. Karau recommends starting the fire by dumping a chimney of lump charcoal in the firebox then loading in wood.It's best to overfill the firebox so you always have a steady supply of fresh, heated wood primed for the fire. As wood at the bottom burns, tamp the pile down to keep a solid bed of red hot coal blazing, then throw a few more pieces on top to keep the process moving along. Of course you need to have the right size of wood; no bigger than a brick, no smaller than a can of Red Bull.

Comment

I compete and practice cook on my KBQ all the time. It comes up to temp quickly.
              The advice above is exactly correct.
              Start with charcoal, keep a good coal bed, at least one poppet open.
              You got this and when you do... you'll love it! 🔥

Comment

• tstalafuse
                tstalafuse commented
                Editing a comment
                Max Good when I was still competing regularly (KCBS/IBCA) and at least at the events I cooked at, most event sponsors didn't allow "open fire/open pit" cooking and tended to lump the KBQ into that class of cooker because the fire box wasn't fully enclosed. No idea if that is still the case or not, but I had never seen one at either..

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm new and have only done two professional cooks and 1 backyard cook. I cook my ribs and brisket on it. Scored 3rd place ribs once. My 1st pro cook no score missed turn in time on ribs but a judge who was walking around tasted my ribs and commented "too bad I think you'd had a chance for a call with these". Try again this year 🤞

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                The best part is everyone that walks by my KBQ has the same questions. "What the hell is that?" I tell them a magic box. Haha

Note to self: Hey Fuqnutz, how ‘bout you read the user manual and understand how to use your cooker.

Sooooo, it turns out I didn’t set the motor correctly on the top of the cooker. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Comment

• Max Good
                Max Good commented
                Editing a comment
                ooops!

• lostclusters
                lostclusters commented
                Editing a comment
                Even though it was part of what I listed as on item to check, I never actually believed it was possible to set the control unit on wrong.

Here's to JCBBQ expanding the possibilities ... 😊
                Last edited by lostclusters; April 6, 2021, 12:31 PM.

• Dr. Pepper
                Dr. Pepper commented
                Editing a comment
                And now let the fun begin!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here