Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

SPOTLIGHT

Some Of Our Favorite
Tools And Toys

These are not ads. These are products we love and highly recommend. Click here to read more about our medals and what they mean.

Placeholder

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet's Dual Tube Burners

the good one grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King's proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our complete review

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

Griddle And Deep Fryer All In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all. Plus it has a built in cutting board, garbage bag holder, and paper towel holder. An additional work table on the left side provides plenty of counter space.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only 9 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Swiss Army Knife Of Thermometers

Placeholder

The smart folks at ThermoWorks have finally done it: The Swiss Army Knife of thermometers, two in one. Start with the industry standard food thermometer, the Thermapen MK4, (Platinum Medal winner) truly instant (2 to 3 seconds) precise (+ or – 0.7°F). Then they built in an infrared thermometer ideal for measuring the temps of pizza stones, griddles, and frying pans (also great for finding leaks around doors and windows in your house).

Click here to read our test results and comprehensive review and why it won our Platinum Medal.

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Placeholder

Char-Broil's Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you're off to the party! Char-Broil's TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Their NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Placeholder

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to read our detailed review

Click here to order from Amazon

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Professional Steakhouse Knife Set

masterbuilt gas smoker

Our founder, Meathead, wanted the same steak knives used by steakhouses such as Peter Luger, Smith & Wollensky, Morton's, Kobe Club, Palm, and many others. So he located the manufacturer and had them stamp our name on some. They boast pointed, temper-ground, serrated, high-carbon stainless-steel, half-tang blades with excellent cutting edge ability. The beefy hardwood handle provides a comfortable grip secured by three hefty rivets. He has machine washed his more than 100 times. They have never rusted and they stay shiny without polishing. Please note that we do not make, sell, or distribute these knives, they just engrave them with our name.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
See more
See less

Loaded Wichita & Fireboard Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top | #1

Loaded Wichita & Fireboard Drive

So I'm noticing a low airflow issue with the Wichita that I've seen mentioned a few times. I've seen complaints but not many solutions other than opening the side door. Has anyone tried using a Fireboard Drive fan with the Wichita? Or does anyone have an opinion on trying it?

• Top | #2
    Despite bein a Card-Carryin, Knuckle-Draggin Stickburner, my dang self, I'm not quite sure what issues yer facin? Are ya tellin me if ya shut yer firebox door, vents wide open, it snuffs yer fire out? Cause, see...I jus cain't quite feature that...

Granted, I often cook with my firebox doors open, an adjust my fire accordingly, but before I learned better, made (hundreds of) lotsa successful cooks with it shut, an varyin th dampers...there should be more than sufficient airflow, in door closed, vary th vent(s) mode...

Huskee has a Loaded Wichita, mebbe he can address yer issues, more specifcally...he's always here to help us all, bless him!

Please. Sir, when ya have th time to do so, give us more details, so that we may all be of more assistance

Comment

• ShellandSwine
      ShellandSwine commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I'm a complete noob at this stick burning, so it may be that a facebook group (I know, sacrilege, but old habits are hard to breeak) has led me astray with this. I've done a dry run and a run with some spare ribs last week.

My trouble is I'm pumping heavy white smoke out the chimney. I followed a video by Chef Tom at ATBBQ and started with charcoal and then would add a pre-warmed log every hour or so.

Went well at first, but then i started started seeing that white smoke. Then...

• ShellandSwine
      ShellandSwine commented
      Editing a comment
      Then I opened the door, knocked around the coals some and got it going again. Closed the door back shut. This happened a couple times. The ribs had a heavy... I don't know... bad taste.

I am using some oak wood I got from a tree farm, not that expensive bagged stuff. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I don't know, I'm a charcoal guy in the strange, new world of stick burning. Right now I'm feeling pretty failed, but I want to try another dry run tomorrow.

• Top | #3
    I have a loaded Wichita too and do not have the same problem. I have found the key is to leave the door open at the outset to get my fire started. Once I hit my desired temp, so long as I warm the logs up before they go on the embers I can leave the door halfway open--maintain my temp--and not have any issues with white smoke.

Comment

• Top | #4
      Is the wood well-seasoned? Based on the white smoke, it sounds like there may be too much moisture remaining in the wood. I have an abundance of Northern red oak on my property, so that is my standard wood that I use. It can take a long time to get to the desired moisture level.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't see how it's the stickburner's fault, sounds like some unseasoned wood.

• Top | #5
      Sounds like too much moisture in the wood. Consider buying a bag of hickory splits that you know are dry and see if you have the same issues. A bag at Menard's is about $15 and is enough for at least one rib cook. Also, lump charcoal is a great way to establish a coal bed in an offset without burning up your wood. Get a nice hot bed of coals and then add splits and if they are dry, they should take off with minimal white smoke. The other thing you can do if your oak is not quite seasoned yet, is split into smaller pieces and mix it in with dry wood. You should be able to maintain good quality smoke with the door closed during a cook. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Comment

• Top | #6
        You guys are awesome, thanks for the help! The wood was cut last fall. I bought a bag of hickory splits from Home Depot and did a dry run yesterday. Left the door open while it got to temp as Jake said. Warmed the wood before adding it to the coals as a few suggested. I had good results with this. Doing a dry run again this afternoon. I have some lump charcoal I’ll try that as a starter. Next time I’ll try resplitting some of my wood and adding it to the dry. Only changing 1 variable at a time. Thank you again for all the replies and no nasty comments!

Question: do you leave the chimney damper all the way open? I had a COS before and left it open and only controlled the firebox damper. Is that what you all do with the Wichita?

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          Folks here always try to be helpful and often have creative and varying solutions to a variety of problems. Sounds like your figuring things out quickly! Good luck and welcome!

• mrteddyprincess
          mrteddyprincess commented
          Editing a comment
          One of the best pieces of advice I have gotten here is to keep the dampers open and build the fire to the temp you want. Clean burns happen with plenty of oxygen on a stick burner. Opening the door to control the temp is fine if you need to.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          We don't do nasty around here, and that goes for comments and food.

• Top | #7
        I leave my chimney damper open most of the time. If I start running hotter than I want I may close it a little to 3/4 or 2/3, that tends to cool down the chimney end a bit, but it's usually open. My firebox damper is always open, but I personally never open the firebox door. A trick that I've found for those still windless days is to use a BBQ Dragon and blow it in the firebox on low. Rechargeable batteries, something there to clip it to, and it's a beautiful thing on the cheap!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Or maybe even the larger Pit Viper fan hooked to the Fireboard ??

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman, not for me, I'm about what works on the cheap. My personal thought is if you need a controller fan you don't want a stick burner, and vice versa. The two really don't go hand in hand. There's no controlling. You do benefit from a breeze blowing in the firebox, but no need to overspend to get that.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          A smallish desktop fan blowing into the firebox damper does the trick for me on those days when there's no wind or it keeps shifting from west to east. I'm really close to an electrical outlet where I cook just outside the garage, so battery power isn't a consideration for me. I could always use an extension cord if it was.

• Top | #8
        Very interesting huskee, I’ll look into the dragon. May help since the wind blows the wrong direction.

Comment

• Top | #9
          I have a loaded durango, and on occasion experience issues. Mostly I would say wood that is not cured enough. I also realized that if I run a very small (maybe 1/4 of the firebox real estate) fire, this helps it become waaaay more efficient. I used to have a bed of coals over most of the grate, then it would run hot, and tightening up the damper then snuffed the fire a good bit. Still messing around with it, but the small hot fire and dry wood seems to rock.

Comment

• Top | #10
            I'm with the rest of the gang on this one. Use dry wood. And I would def. leave the smoke stack vent fully open. The smoke stack is the engine, let it run free. Try using splits instead of logs, they should catch fire faster, and won't affect a clean burning fire as much as when putting a full log on. This advice is for your size offset, which is a good one by the way.

Comment

• Top | #11
              How have the changes worked? I have the same smoker that I've been learning this summer. Based on my summer experiment, I'll echo most of the advice others have given: a small hot fire rather than coals spread all over the grate, dry wood and smaller splits. What I've found is any split or log much larger in diameter than a beer bottle requires the door be left open, but if you take the same size log and split it, everything burns fine and temp stays steady with just the damper left open. Just my experience, I'm also at 5200 ft elevation. I have oak from a firewood supplier, so the splits and logs are mostly 4-5" diameter. I got the Kindling Cracker and a 4 lb hammer to crack out smaller splits, and since I've been using smaller splits the Wichita runs like a champ. Cracking the splits also lets me see which ones aren't dry in the center and set those aside. The BBQ Dragon helps for days when the wind blow opposite -- thanks Huskee for that tip! I'm in a new house and discovered it has a set wind pattern, usually have a breeze from the west until noon, and then after 1pm the breeze switches to come from the east. Frustrating beyond belief, especially after you set your smoker up to move air west-east based on the belief the wind blows predominantly from the west. But the Dragon cured that!

Comment

Working...
              X