Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about building a smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about building a smoker

My brother in law just built this mammoth pig roaster. Today is the maiden voyage! We’re butchering a cow, and doing the tenderloins for lunch. A little over kill, I know.
    my question is about painting this.
    do we sandblast and paint?
    sandblast and powder coat?
    I have access to acid washing and pressure washing.
    In your previous experience (Hendrick?) do we use a high heat paint? Powder coat? Does anything stick to the burn box, or is that a waste of time?

thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by UncleSpike View Post
    my question is about painting this.
    do we sandblast and paint?
    sandblast and powder coat?
    I have access to acid washing and pressure washing.
    In your previous experience (Hendrick?) do we use a high heat paint? Powder coat? Does anything stick to the burn box, or is that a waste of time?

thanks in advance!
    Oh Henrik , Ahumadora ...

Comment

That’s a behemoth alright! Cool.

There are high heat paints, but they’re expensive and won’t last anyway. I coat my smokers with peanut oil or canola oil (wipe them down with a cotton cloth doused in oil). Then fire them up and run them hot for an hour. Cheap, lasts a long time, and can be done again and again if and when it needs a touch-up.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen, an Hallelujah!!!!

Rinse, an Repeat!!!

A family of five (vertically challenged) people could live in that thing!

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        I fit the bill, what's the rent?

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll split th rent with ya, Brother!

I've lived in Dramatically Far Worse Places, I can readily assure ya... Nuff bout dat.

Plus, yer purty easy on th eyeballs, what with that suit, an all lol!

Good looking pit enjoy the maiden voyage. Great times ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleSpike View Post
        My brother in law just built this mammoth pig roaster. Today is the maiden voyage! We’re butchering a cow...
        Wait a second.....

Of course we need pics.

Comment

• Stuey1515
          Stuey1515 commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on that

• Loren
          Loren commented
          Editing a comment
          This is definitely a contender for "pics or it didn't happen"

Also, that's one heckuva cool looking smoker! Moar pics!!!! 😎

Nice handy work.

Comment

The guy who made my BBQ’s blasted and painted. He did not do powder coating unless the client was paying big $$. He would take it to an auto painter for that. He did advise - as Henrik pointed out, that you should season not only the inside, but the painted outside. I rub the outside down in Olive oily about once a year and haven’t had a rust problem. Since I am a purchaser and not a builder, I would got with what Henrik or Ahumadora advises.

Comment

Nobody bothered askin my opinion, but I'll add it, gratuitously, anyhow...

Jus oil it up an cook, on accounta it's gonna russssst, otherwise, anyhow....

Jus sayin...do as ya choose...

"Ya kinna change Th Laws of Physics, Captain!!!!!!"

James Montgomery Doohan

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Did I not tag you? Dagnabbit. Sorry Mr. bones! Hahahahahaha

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Love ya, My Brutha tbob4

Ain't feelin slighted, in th least, amigo!

Thanks guys. From what I can tell, it’s going to work good. It held temp @ about 220 and the firebox has lots more capacity.
            Finished the tenderloin on top of a grate he built on top of the fire box. Pretty cool set up.
            food was good too!
            Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m looking forward to lots of photos from that rig.

Saturday was sausage making day. All the deer we shot, plus a 450 lb pig.

Fired up the new pig roaster again. Folks, it was -21 Celsius, windy, and snowing.

Have to say, that unit held up just fine. We dumped four bags of charcoal in the burn box, and added one lit chimney on top. In 90 minutes, that thing was at 250 degrees, and it held it there until noon. I added one bag of charcoal at about 10:30, plus some pieces of maple during the day.

We cooked the belly, tenderloins and a few ribs from the pig we cut up. Was fantastic.

Now that it's all dialed in, we will paint it and add the weather stripping.
            Attached Files

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              "I like the sausage stuffer!! It run on air or water?"

Silly Backroadmeats - it runs on sausage!

• Backroadmeats
              Backroadmeats commented
              Editing a comment
              rickgregory I suppose that is true!!😃😃 I was just curious I have a 100 lb zuber water stuffer in my shop and thought it is a heck of an idea!!

• UncleSpike
              UncleSpike commented
              Editing a comment
              The sausage stuffer runs on water. It has a water reservoir beside it. 110V RV pump sucks the plunger down, and we fill it with meat as we lower it. Then put the cap on and pump it back up. The tube holds about 70 lbs of meat, and can be emptied in 15-17 minutes.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here