Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RTV or Silicone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTV or Silicone

I am climbing the mountain to be at the feet of the masters again.
    Ahumadora and Henrik being the premier pit builders on the site is there a preferred RTV or Silicone you use to seal your pits.
    As I've mentioned three the rivets on the bottom damper have popped off, I used self taping screw to reattach the damper however noticed there was a bead of some sealant around the damper.
    With this seal broken it seems I'm getting bleed by and can't get my temps under 350.
    I have house hold silicones and Alex plus around the house but don't know if they'd stand up to the heat for 8 hours.
    Was thinking of Automotive RTV too.
    I'm going to clean the surface and probably drill out the holes and use nuts n bolts to reattach the damper but the sealant question is holding me up.
    Any suggestions appreciated.

I use Rutland 600°F RTV silicone. I generally prefer the black over the red for esthetic reasons. I would not use regular household silicone.

Comment

I’ve used sil-bond 650F food grade silicone which unfortunately was reddish in color and black would have been nicer.

Comment

For offsets I have used replacement gaskets from Kamado Joe. The self-adhesive felt gasket. However with the latest build I just build it with tighter precision and fit so I don’t need a gasket. Do you have a photo of where you have the leak or plan on applying it? Sounds like the silicone might be the way to go, but a pic would help.

Comment

He’s pics I had another that I deleted but I’d on my rib cook pics last weekend
          I found PermatexOptimum RTV
          Good to 371 C
          Attached Files

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            I had to go to my conversion calculator, but that sounds really good. 😁

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I googled your Rutland suggestion but permatex kept coming up
            Went to auto section and found this
            Going to let it cure for a day or so and give her a spin
            Thank you for your help

Ok sorta off and on this.
          There an outer shell, and inner shell and the the fire bowl.
          The inner bowl is riveted to the outer shell so my plan of bolting the damper back on is out the window.
          Can't find any bigger self taping screws so going to leave the ones in that our there even though they are barely grabbing metal.
          Going to clean out as much old silicone as I can and simply re-silicone around the damper.
          If this doesn't work, plenty of clearance sales on up here now

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Try taking the damper off cmpletely and pplying the silicone in between the damper and ceramic bowl. Failing that you could try using an aluminum rivnut but would have to buy the special rivnut gun.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here