Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a new pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're making me want to go buy a torch and welding rig again !! Nice work as usual, looking forward to see the end result. You're garnishing quite a variety of cookers in your collection. I'm still trying to get over that parilla !!!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      That Parrilla is just awesome, you need to get yourself one!

Welded the manifold on to the end piece today, was laying down some serious dimes today. Also put little handles on the shelves so they can be easily pulled out/pushed back in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B7CCA005-3725-4F37-A7ED-AF03CAEE0FD4.jpeg
Views:	498
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	879487

Name:	78A070B6-BC9F-4CA8-B53B-A9A975744281.jpeg
Views:	478
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	879488

Comment

I absolutely love watching your cooker builds and this will be no different. Definitely following!! Very jealous of your metalworking skills!!!!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!

Got the firebox door done today. Simple construction, but it looks solid. I used two store-bought welding hinges, as they are very cheap here, and it saved me some fabrication. And they feel very smooth when opening the door. I put an 'X' on the back of the door so it stays flat. The handle is also simple, but gets the job done, and I could fabricate it in 5 minutes. I don't use any vents, but the door can be locked in 4 positions, so it is basically the same. I believe in FreeFlowâ„¢ smokers :-)

Name:	smoker-6.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	880035

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        That idea of the multi-position handle grip is genius.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Steve! Simple, yet works.

Henrik Any updates in the last week? I'm dying to see this thing go together!

Comment

• Duckman_OK
        Duckman_OK commented
        Editing a comment
        That's aggravating to say the least! I was going to tell you, on behalf of all us living vicariously through you, to get back to work! Kinda of hard to do when their on vacation though.

Can't wait until you show us how this thing, and all the minor details, turn out!

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m as excited as you are!

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Duckman_OK are you taking notes?

We might have to build a couple of these..... and by "we" I mean "you do the welding and I'll hold the beer and supervise"

I'm waiting.... for more pictures that is. Vacation has to be over by now right?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, sure is. I’ve been tinkering with small stuff while waiting.

So, the main pipe I've been waiting for, forever it feels like, will arrive on Thursday this week. If there are no hickups that is.

In the meantime I've been experimenting with different smoke stacks and smoke collectors. I've now built three different versions :-)

We'll see which one I like the best when giving it a test run.

First one: Franklin style collector. Looks good, but relatively fabrication heavy. The benefit is that the stack can be removed easily.

Name:	smoke_collector_1_bw.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	897670

Second one: Simpler and smaller collector, made from one piece, but folded in a smart way so there are only two welds. Same removable stack, but now it just 'sits' or rests on the collector, no bolts necessary. (it goes on the outside of the stub in the picture).

Name:	smoke_collector_2_bw.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	897668

Third one: switching to a rectangular pipe for a lot easier fabrication. This is what Lonestar uses on some of their models. By far the fastest to make.

Name:	smoke_collector_3_bw.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	897669

Still testing out other models, but this is a good setup for the first dry runs.

Comment

The tube finally arrived. Had good progress today. Got the door cut out, super tight fit, and welded the hinges in place. Also cut out for the hot plate.

The raw tube

Name:	IMG_0592.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	901382

Here's what it looks like with the door

Name:	IMG_6920.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	901383

Tomorrow I will do the following:
        1. Fabricate a handle for the door, should be quick.
        2. Weld a 'lip' all around so the door doesn't 'fall in' through the food chamber.
        3. Tap weld everything together and fire it up. If all works as expected, I'm gonna lay down some serious seams and call it a day.

Did I mention that the whole smoker is made of Corten steel? It's gonna look great after a while. For some reason the Corten steel in this exact dimension was way cheaper than ordinary black steel, so that's why I went with it. A bit harder/tougher material to work with, but it's gonna be a rock solid smoker.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Coreten will give you that rusted look you like. Looks and sounds like you're enjoying yourself.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I sure am!

FINALLY!!!

Looks Great! And that Corten material should hold up to the elements and give that patina look!

Wanna come to Tulsa and build another one? I can supervise...

Comment

So, here are some photos. I like the look overall. I’m happy with the food chamber door fit, it looks good with the ‘lip’ on the inside. Fabricated a counterweight for the door too, but haven’t welded it in place yet, not sure it’s needed. Went with the Franklin style smoke collector, as I liked the look of the round stack the best. Fired it up today, but need to fix the draft. It’s not breathing right. Will remove one inner wall, and possibly modify smoke stack length too. I have some spares lying around so I can test out different lengths. We’re getting there 😄

Name:	B8D5B364-6A18-455F-982B-D3A36AC823E6.jpeg
Views:	309
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	901823

Name:	52329FCC-CC49-4F32-B4BA-CB057DE9DCE8.jpeg
Views:	303
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	901822

Name:	7DEC4A10-F57C-4C23-BCCB-119E6BA2A618.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	901821

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            If the door is not heavy, I would not mess with counterweights. Just weld some small stops on the hinges and calll it a day.
            Last edited by Ahumadora; August 26, 2020, 11:40 AM.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, will add a stop so the door stays in a convenient open position. Will skip the counterweight, it’s not that heavy.

You guys rock with your fabricating skills! Love watching these posts you put together! Excellent stuff! Thanks for sharing with us!

Comment

Very impressive! Well done.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you!

Kudos to you Henrik.

Comment

I wish I had the talent, time, confidence, and tools needed to do something like this. It looks amazing Henrik . Great job.

You mentioned above you made three different smoke stacks? I'd be curious what you think about the pros and cons of each one just from a smoking performance perspective. Do they make a difference in terms of taste or easy of cooking?

Extremely unlikely I'll ever do this myself, but might be helpful someday when deciding on my next smoker.

Comment

WOW....Just WOW!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here